2 cops shot in Dallas

• I listened to the Dallas Police Chief's heartfelt comments and was truly impressed by his words. You could not help but feel his genuine pain for the senseless murder of his fellow officers. He appears to have a very even hand with all the merits a leader must possess. Once again all these officers are running TOWARD the gunfire to protect citizens that were protesting against them, the police officer. With 600,000+ officers in the US you are gonna get a few bad apples and a few mistakes but is that not the same in any profession? I'm thinkin cops are feeling pretty bad today and they need our support today and tomorrow deservedly so. On the other hand, as usual, a poor leader Ocrappa, taking yet another opportunity to plug gun control. Just shows the contrast and proves that we DO have the talent to lead in this country - we just gotta find them!!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

Edited once, last by Bill Martin ().

• as the pr*testers were running away, law enforcement were running toward the g*n shots. We, (law enforcement), including myself, will give our life to save ANY cit*zen of this c*untry. I'm not the same guy I was 6 months ago. I'm smaller, weaker, and have less stamina. Put me in a wheelchair, I don't care, I will fight till I'm dead. Cit*zens have a right to walk, talk, and go almost anywhere they want. It's called fr*edom. Treat each other with respect and honor. REAL officers treat people as they would want to be treated with any threat. There is more to this then meets the eye. I know, some recent events were set up and innocent people were hurt or worse. This is big, real big. THEY, I won't say who, want total control. Way over my pay grade and it's not going to get better. Stay safe and only trust those you now. M*dia will have black*ut and you only will have info THEY want you to have. robot-squared Most here, can read ;);) between the lines. WOW, these are wicked drugs I'm on ;)

• As a parent of a Police Officer also family member of many on the Chicago PD, I pray everyday for them. A lot of them deal with the scum of the earth. No civil respect for human life or much less anything. When you have to work with (using kind words) people like this. You have to adapt to a mode of its me or you attitude when a weapon is presented.
    Our Military Brothers and Sisters come back from unsafe areas of the world and suffer from PTSD. Let's not forget what some Law Enforsement deal with day in day out, then to go home without any support only to repeat yesterday's problems back in the field. We really need to look at our issues as not Only as a Racial, but ask why did the Police have to get envolved? If someone thinks they don't help, I hope you have somebody to cover your 6!

• Shooting a cop should be an automatic death penalty. It should be a Federal offense in every state.

Mmmm....no. Disagree. My dad was a cop, and he would have disagreed with you too. Some cops need a bullet, just like some percentage of every sub-group in society could probably afford to take a bullet.

• There are many things in our day to day life that kill a whole lot more people than guns. Yet there are no complaints about them and no one is wanting to outlaw them. I think doctors and hospitals are two of the many and they happen to be somewhere near the top of the list.

• As a person who lives in North Richland Hills & works in Dallas.....
    This is media's fault. Officers kill white people everyday across the US, but never once do you hear that story, officers kill Hispanics everyday across the US, but never once do you hear that story. Officers kill black people everyday across the US, and you always hear that story because it is race bait and click bait as it is a high profile topic every since the Treyvon Martin story where the white guy got off scott free. Sure some of the cops killings of blacks (& all races) have been unjustified, so in know way am I saying all news stories on the subject are unwarranted, but many of those shootings were justified, but the damage is done by the time the news if the news ever finally runs a story telling the people it was justified.
    I am a fan of the Russ Martin Show and his foundation that helps fallen police & firefighters in the line of duty in Dallas & Fort Worth. 99.9% of the proceeds goes to those families has his charity only employ's 1 person (not himself he donates to his own charity often).
    Donate | Russ Martin Show

• Written by my wife, but completely agree:

Okay, time for some numbers and facts, use them how you will, but at least have some real data for your arguments. Not surprisingly the data for this is somewhat lacking because it isn't really tracked.

1. In 2011 (the most recently available number by the Justice dept), there were 26.4 million traffic stops creating 42% of police interactions. Which means there were an additional 62.86 million police encounters for a grand total of 89.26 million police encounters throughout the country in 2011.

2. Of those traffic stops, 13% were black, 10% were white, and 10% were Hispanic (no, the numbers don't work out, but this is a pretty direct quote from the justice dept). 68% of African Americans stopped believed the stop to be legitimate, 84% of whites, and 74% of Hispanics believed the same.

3. In 2015 there were 1208 people killed by police. 328 were black, 210 were Hispanic, 15 were Asian, 39 were other, 517 were white, and 99 did not have a race assigned.

4. This means that, in general, there is about a 0.0014% chance of being killed during a police encounter.

5. In 2014, the nation was 62% white, 12% black, 18% Hispanic, 6% Asian, and 3% other. Of the 1208 people killed by police, 42.8% were white, 27% were black, 17.4% were Hispanic. Yes, that means that there were a disproportionate number of black people killed compared to the national race distribution.

6. I did not count the number of unarmed vs. armed deceased because that information is not readily available, and I did not have time to go through all of the links for all 1208. The Washington Post has a rough estimate that 1 in 10 police killings involved unarmed persons, and of those, 40% were black males.

7. In 2015, 123 Law Enforcement Officers were killed, 49,851 were assaulted, and 14,565 were injured by assault (assaults are 2013 numbers).

Data Points:
    Police fatally shoot nearly 1,000 people in 2015 | The Washington Post

Killed By Police - 2015 (1208)

Population Distribution by Race/Ethnicity | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Police-Public Contacts

• The thing that bothers me about a lot of the officer involved shootings is that many of these suspects do not obey the orders of the police officer. To me it is simple, no matter what race you are, when a LEO tells you "DON'T MOVE" then become a statue. If you have been wrongfully detained you can seek justice later - AND BE ALIVE!!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

Edited once, last by Bill Martin ().

• add to that- unfortunately, our LEO are understandably nervous and jumpy- when pulled over for ANY reason- stop the vehicle, shut it off, roll down the window, and have both hands at 10 & 2......CLEAR VIEW, before you freeze......

Which, if you think about it, is an additional benefit of driving the Slingshot ALL THE TIME! Drive your Sling, make cops safer! :D

• What the Black Lives Matter movement seems to be missing is that their actions will likely lead to more black deaths. Casting police as haters; shooting police; etc. will only serve to discourage police from doing their job in black neighborhoods. Why would police actively try to reduce crime in these areas if they are misrepresented and targeted? Prudence would dictate they request assignments in other neighborhoods or hang out in coffee shops. Criminals will then take hold and murders will escalate.

• Did anyone else see the storekeepers video of the Baton Rouge shooting before they started bluring out the important part? When the officer rolled off the thug you could plainly see the gun half out of his right pocket. The piece of shit was trying to pull it! But not one of these BLM instigators will ever admit it.

We lost an officer last year here in Oregon under similar circumstances. As he wrestled the perp to the ground the guy pulled his gun and shot the cop.