Hydroplaning is real

• Just curious, did you have stock tires or something else?
    I know mine is prone to this with stock, but curious if it amplifies with llarger tires. I assume it would though.

@SlingJockey I'm with you on that question. As many instances as we seen on the forums, I'm not sure if that has been answered. Besides, I'd love to have a reason to "have" to get some new tires and rims....LOL

• Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad your okay. I must be really lucky because last summer we were driving in a heavy rain and I was so busy watching for traffic that when I did look at the speedo I was going 70mph! No issues that time. And that was with the stock tires

• The picture from the OP shows aftermarket tires (not sure which ones).

Sorry I failed to mention before, glad you're ok OP! I've been in that situation before and that helpless feeling as your sliding out of control lasts forever (5 seconds feels like 5 hours)!

• That's interesting what you said about your friend's front left wheel locking up, TEXAS SLING RIDER. I always assumed it was from a light vehicle with cold or worn tires that caused the hydroplaning and spins. And that it would be at the rear since there's so little weight on the rear and there's just one tire. But maybe it has something to do with the Stability Control freaking out when it completely loses traction? I mean, the only other way for the tire to lock would be to slam on the brakes, and even then, ABS should prevent it from locking.

It is the tire compound and design that is inferior. The surface to weight ratio is also not conducive to wet roads. Traction control does not work when there is no contact with the ground at all. Mine had about 100 hard miles and still took me on a joy ride.!

Home of the free - because of the brave

• Glad to hear you escaped with little harm. This has been my biggest fear, that and arriving home late at night smelling like strippers. Put on the Pilot SS's on as they have a real good wet weather rating but still will be a fair weather driver.

• Glad to hear you escaped with little harm. This has been my biggest fear, that and arriving home late at night smelling like strippers. Put on the Pilot SS's on as they have a real good wet weather rating but still will be a fair weather driver.

I love the Pilots - the only tire I'd run at Neurgbergring. Made me less embarresed...

Home of the free - because of the brave

• Glad your okay...that can be a nail biting experience. You will be up in running in no time.

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• @SlingJockey I'm with you on that question. As many instances as we seen on the forums, I'm not sure if that has been answered. Besides, I'd love to have a reason to "have" to get some new tires and rims....LOL

Not the stock tires. they didn't last that long I was fine on the nice smooth asphalt on the Idaho side when I hit the Concrete on the Utah border it started to feel weird.

• Just realized I have the best bunch of guys and Gals around me a guy could ask for.
    A couple of guys offered to come up and get me. Two buddies offered up trailers to go get it. and one guy looked at the bar underneath and said he could make one in about an hour (Same guy that bent up my roll cage) and said that the price wasn't free but Super Free. which means that beer will be served while I wait.

Life is Good

• @Thomas Sleight I'm so happy your ok. If you were going 70 when you lost it. Take a good hard look at the frame. I was going 55 , probably about 50 by the time I hit the wall. The Dealer that did my insurance estimate said the whole frame was twisted front to back and side to side with several bent spots. It seems the engines inertia when hitting something, mine was rear impact, pulls the frame out of wack.

Please make sure it's ok . :) That is great that your friends are helping out. I have those kind of friends and I found them in this community. Best of luck with repairs and again, very happy you're fine.

• Whew glad your ok. You might be surprised with a heat gun you might be able to straighten out the lower splitter. I did that on mine after a Badger strike. Lastly you might just need an E bar. It's the one that mounts your 2 upper spoilers. I had to replace that on mine along with one spoiler. Total $450.00 CDN or $200.00 U$D on mine. Good luck.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• Hydroplaning should not that unexpected given the Slingshot's relatively wide tires on a light vehicle at only about 600 lbs per wheel.
    My comment is not intended as a comment on anyone who has hydroplaned. I have found that my Kendas seem to work great on dry pavement, yet quickly lose traction if the road gets damp. I've only been caught in rain a few times, but I usually try to slow down to around 55 mph max in the rain.
    I'm planning on switching to Goodyear Eagles (the same tire on the Corvette) next time I buy tires. I'd also like to use a larger tire, so that might affect my final decision.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL: clarification ().