Trouble at the pump

• Today, I went to the Sunoco gas station that I have gone to all summer. I was paying with cash, so I paid before pumping. I go to use the pump and the handle has no pressure on the lever that you squeeze. I go in to tell the attendant that the pump must be broke. Nope. They changed the nozzle on all the pumps, and it has to seal against the opening to be able to operate. Typically, there is an oversized rubber shroud around the nozzle, that just acts as a splash guard. While the attendant was standing with me at the pump, I noticed that the rubber shroud was different, and that the metal nozzle itself was not perforated like I am used to seeing.

The attendant said that people with motorcycles, and with gas cans have been having issues using the pumps also, because the rubber shroud on the nozzle will not seal itself against the opening on the tank or cans.

WTF! What if I am out riding, and at some random gas station, I can't fill my tank?

• Today, I went to the Sunoco gas station that I have gone to all summer. I was paying with cash, so I paid before pumping. I go to use the pump and the handle has no pressure on the lever that you squeeze. I go in to tell the attendant that the pump must be broke. Nope. They changed the nozzle on all the pumps, and it has to seal against the opening to be able to operate. Typically, there is an oversized rubber shroud around the nozzle, that just acts as a splash guard. While the attendant was standing with me at the pump, I noticed that the rubber shroud was different, and that the metal nozzle itself was not perforated like I am used to seeing.

The attendant said that people with motorcycles, and with gas cans have been having issues using the pumps also, because the rubber shroud on the nozzle will not seal itself against the opening on the tank or cans.

WTF! What if I am out riding, and at some random gas station, I can't fill my tank?

Welcome to the beginning stages of utopia, where some politician who has never mowed a lawn thinks this is a “good idea” at the pump and all of us proles must comply with their “good intentions”. It’s for the children, you know…just not the ones that were aborted because of a “[democrat] woman’s right to choose”.

Welcome to the final days of the great experiment that was formerly known as America. Best of luck to you brother, I sincerely wish you well and don’t mean to sound like a jerk about your experience. It infuriates me that you had to deal with it.

These people that put us in this position need to be removed from power and never allowed to return until they have had a real job and understand real-world consequences of morons with good intentions. Anyone remember when 5 gallon gas cans had manual little yellow vents on the back side and cost under $10??? Anyone remember the METAL ones that lasted forever, or am I just a fossil?

• The Mccuff adapters are interesting, and I am willing to buy one to try it, but I think the nozzle needs to seal to the fill neck of the gas tank, so it can sense the back pressure created by displacement. I said to the attendant that I may just have to 3d print something to solve the problem.

• . Anyone remember when 5 gallon gas cans had manual little yellow vents on the back side and cost under $10??? Anyone remember the METAL ones that lasted forever, or am I just a fossil?

I still have some old plastic gas cans with a plain old nozzle and a vent. I have two 5 gallon gas cans with the no-spill nozzles and both nozzles failed, so I bought a battery powered pump to use with those cans, which I actually like. Not having a vent on the can was always puzzling. It seemed I spilled more gas with the new style cans than I ever have with an old style can.

They still sell the metal ones, with the metal bendable nozzles.

• The Mccuff adapters are interesting, and I am willing to buy one to try it, but I think the nozzle needs to seal to the fill neck of the gas tank, so it can sense the back pressure created by displacement. I said to the attendant that I may just have to 3d print something to solve the problem.

I love your sense of adventure and would like to know what kind of printer you have and what software package you will use to design what you need. I still say, if you have to do all of that to add gas to the tank of whatever you happen to be driving on any given day, MOVE. These people are just starting with their stranglehold, and they are NOT Ted Nugent fans.

• I love your sense of adventure and would like to know what kind of printer you have and what software package you will use to design what you need. I still say, if you have to do all of that to add gas to the tank of whatever you happen to be driving on any given day, MOVE. These people are just starting with their stranglehold, and they are NOT Ted Nugent fans.

LOL. Move? There is nowhere to move to, by what you are inferring. They will find us wherever we are. LOL.

Sure, part of the reason I created the thread was I assume that more gas stations may be 'upgrading' to the same style nozzle, and this problem may pop up, somewhere, some place, randomly, as I take my leisurely rides in my Slingshot. To start my trips, I can simply drive 1/4 mile to a different gas station for now.

Since you asked. I have AutoCAD and Rhino 3D software, a modified Ender 3 Pro printer, and a CNC router at home. I am also a CNC machinist (30 years now) and use AutoCAD, and MasterCam, and primarily run Multi-axis lathes at work. So yes, I have the skill sets and access to solve my own problems sometimes.

P.S. I like Ted Nugent, and I also make my own guitars and bass guitars.

• These type of pumps are what we have been dealing with in California forever. I find if I hold the collar back with my free hand that it bypasses the requirement for a seal and fills just fine - - filling my Slingshot has always required me to do this - - takes both hands

mildly inconvenient, but not a big deal - - - oh and you dont need to buy any clip thing this way

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Wait a few more years when the California mandate banning new gasoline powered cars kick in. I bet Pelosi or some other dip shit will say that you need to have a supply of these to make sure you'll be able to recharge your electric car. We're just SO GLAD to have Mayor Pete as our transportation secretary. He just LOVES his choo choo trains

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

Edited once, last by Funinthesun ().

• Well said, they will all find “us” eventually, I hope we all give them an appropriate welcome! I have never been to PA but know some folks from up there and hear it is beautiful.

I never could justify buying Autocad for hobby purposes, not to mention, I couldn’t find the time to learn how to use it. I went the cheap route years ago and bought Cubify and got meshcam for some RC airplane projects. Have a Sherline CNC mill and lathe but do very little with them anymore, somehow, life got in the way.

I tried playing bass in high school {thanks to Cliff Burton, RIP} but was tone deaf, had no rhythm, and had white man overbite, so I joined the Navy to avoid starvation from lack of musical talent. I did make a new body for my bass in wood shop but it was pretty awful. I gave it to a cousin, wonder if he still has it in a basement or garage. I might hit you up to make one for me. Would look great next to the Aaron Lewis guitar :P

• @Rws904 I have had a guitar kit in my closet for 15 years just can't seam to come up with a way I want to finish it. Then with 18 guitars already that I don't play very well I don't need another. Been taking lessons for over 10 years and the wife said I was to white and had no rhythm.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• If it just requires rearward pressure, then I will go try that out on my next fill-up. Thank you.

I never could justify buying Autocad for hobby purposes, not to mention, I couldn’t find the time to learn how to use it. I went the cheap route years ago and bought Cubify and got meshcam for some RC airplane projects. Have a Sherline CNC mill and lathe but do very little with them anymore, somehow, life got in the way.

I was able to get the AutoCad program from work years ago. I tried all the free CAD programs out there, and after trying the trial version of Rhino I ended up buying it. At $900 outright with no yearly fees, it was my best option. I was interested in small CNC machines like the Sherlines, but my shop got smaller and smaller, as I accumulated more woodworking tools.

• Autodesk's Fusion 360 is free for home use but way over my head. I even bought Fusion 360 for Dummies and it is over my head. I have learned how to use several functions several times. The ones I was petty proficient at I forgot how to do in no time.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

.......I've had the same thing happened to me at a gas station a few weeks ago and I was cursing the gas station attendant out (under my breath) like WTF I just want some gas.....

• Maybe something like this will help. https://www.ebay.com/itm/224910032421. Listing has link to video demo.

Here's a different model specifically for motorcycles that might work. Available in 2 sizes - https://www.mccuff.com/. The Standard size is available thru Amazon with Prime shipping - https://www.amazon.com/McCuff-…otorcycles/dp/B0882HHFRB/.

......might have to try the first one out.....love this forum

• Maybe something like this will help. https://www.ebay.com/itm/224910032421. Listing has link to video demo.

Here's a different model specifically for motorcycles that might work. Available in 2 sizes - https://www.mccuff.com/. The Standard size is available thru Amazon with Prime shipping - https://www.amazon.com/McCuff-…otorcycles/dp/B0882HHFRB/.

Looking at the picture of the EBay item a little closer, and reading some of the reviews, it seems that the pump nozzle has a groove on it, that is exposed when you push back the rubber booty. The hole in the card is not a straight slot, but rather it looks like the slot is larger on one side. It seems like the slot allows you to slip it over the pump nozzle, and then slide the card to the side and hook the smaller radiused side onto the groove on the pump nozzle.

It looks like I need to bring some calipers with me, and take some measurements of the pump nozzle. I have some marine grade plastic in my shop. I can make a card to match the EBay one easily.