Slingshot Auto governor/rev limiter to prevent aggressive driving

• I am wanting to put a custom tune/rev limiter on my Slingshot AutoDrive to limit any aggressive driving that can not be changed or altered by the driver (my 18 year old son) when operating the vehicle. What would I need to do or need to purchase to do this? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

• That being said, please rethink letting an 18 year old drive a slingshot. Much less alone.

this right here!!! 18 year old in a slingshot is asking for trouble - even with an aggressive speed limiter very likely to end up upside down off the road

Just say NO!

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I am wanting to put a custom tune/rev limiter on my Slingshot AutoDrive to limit any aggressive driving that can not be changed or altered by the driver (my 18 year old son) when operating the vehicle. What would I need to do or need to purchase to do this? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

We are working on tuning for the 2020+ but do not have it available yet. I cannot speak for any other company and how they do their tuning or what software they use but here is my 2 cents. You can set a rev limiter but not a speed limiter. (Again, I cannot speak for all software. Maybe you can with another company) However, that being said, you would have to flash the tune to do that. That would require 1 of 2 things. You either have the software to flash the PCM back and forth any time your son drives it, which isn't available for sale, or you would have to buy a separate PCM and possibly TCM to swap out any time your son drives it which is a lot of messing around and not cheap. The TCM is $580 and the PCM is $700 from the dealer. Assuming you could get a shop to flash and set that up, you'd have the cost of the tuning on top of that. In theory, you could set the RPM limit to 4000RPM but he could still get to 4000RPM in 5th gear which would have him around the 120mph mark if I did the math right. However, it also may not produce enough power in 5th at that low of an RPM to push through the wind resistance to get him to that speed but you get the point. I'm not going to offer up any parenting advice or risk assessment. Those decisions are up to you.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Instead of the "stick" -- use the "carrot"... Send your teenager to an SCCA teen driver class. See link below:

Sports Car Club of America (scca.com)

Just my 2 cents...

When I was a kid my father sent both myself and my sister to the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance driving. At the time it was located at the old Ontario Motor speedway in So California - - learned many many things that you would never learn in a normal driving school

• When I was a kid my father sent both myself and my sister to the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance driving. At the time it was located at the old Ontario Motor speedway in So California - - learned many many things that you would never learn in a normal driving school

Damn envious. I learned in a Dodge Aspen station wagon.

• If you are going to give an 18 year old a slingshot to drive, PLEASE do 2 things.

Make sure you have enough insurance coverage to cover the people he crashes into and their lawsuit against you.

And make sure your sons life insurance is current and paid up.

Good luck

We have been tuning the ECM in the 2020+ for a couple years now and can set the speed limiter and rev limiter to whatever you want. The problem though is that you can not just switch between the standard tune and the modified tune on the fly. Something like echoraven suggested is probably going to be your best option, as the tune is really not practical for what you are trying to achieve.

• This thread has got me to remembering that I had my driver's license at 15YO and my motorcycle endorsement in the same time frame? By the time I was 18YO I had owned several of both. Both of our kids also had their driver's licenses by 15 YO, in fact, our son drove his own car, that he purchased himself, from Montana to Nevada at 15YO.

Along the same line of thinking I started Hunter's Safety courses around 10YO, being capable of purchasing my own hunting license(s) at 12YO. My Dad purchased me my first HUNTING rifle at 15YO, in which during hunting season I would take to school in MY pickup, (along with my hunting knife and all of my other gear), so a friend and I could go hunting after school and nobody thought anything about it? Both of the kids also took Hunter's Safety courses to learn firearms safety, even though neither of them never actually took up hunting.

My, how things have changed in just the past few couple of decades? :(

Bill

• just out of curiosity do the Slingshots like my 2016 with the Ecotec engine have a speed limit programed into the ECU like the newer Polaris motored Slingshots do?

Seems in the past like I always heard the crappy aerodynamics were the limiting factor

• just out of curiosity do the Slingshots like my 2016 with the Ecotec engine have a speed limit programed into the ECU like the newer Polaris motored Slingshots do?

Seems in the past like I always heard the crappy aerodynamics were the limiting factor

Oh, there's a rev limiter. If you ever hit it you'll know.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Oh, there's a rev limiter. If you ever hit it you'll know.

I am talking about an actual speed limiter, not a rev limiter - - under the specifications for the new Slingshots it says - "Top Speed - - - Limited to 125mph" - - - this is for all of the different models

With the older Slingshots like my 2016 they did not have any Top speed information in the specifications - as such I am curious if there is a speed limit in the ECU programing for the older units with the Ecotec motors

Dave@DDMWorks Kyle D - Im sure you guys can answer this

• Maybe try blocking the air intake. At some point the power should be limited. But as others have noted. May also affect computer ! Best way is to train kid to drive properly and insure if not compliant loses Sling Priveleges. Wonder if GPS tag could trace vehicle speed etc..