Auto transport companies

• Good morning all. I’ve purchased my first slingshot and can’t wait to take possession. My dilemma is transporting from a dealership by Spokane Washington to Dallas Texas. I know it needs an enclosed trailer. Any recommendations for an auto transport company? I had one scheduled with a three day pickup window but it looks like they are dropping the ball and can’t give me a date of pickup at this point.

Also considering flying there to pickup and drive home, but it looks like a 28 hour drive. It’s a dealer demo 2021 Slingshot R, 1800 miles on it. First service has already been performed. Any concerns with constant driving for extended time over 1-2 days?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or advice.

• Dtc500 it's hard enough to find a reliable transport company to haul a car, let alone a 3 wheel vehicle like the Slingshot. I tried for a while when I bought my 2nd Sling (1st one got wrecked). My buddy bought a car in South Carolina last year and finally gave up trying to hire a hauler and made the coast to coast drive himself to trailer it home.

Lots of people have done cross country trips in their Slings. The farthest I've gone is around 2,700 miles to Canada and back. Buying a low-mile unit that is past break-in would raise my confidence level. If you make the trip, just allow enough time to make a comfortable (to you) return trip, and allow for weather delays if you hit inclement weather.

Congrats on the purchase. You're going to love it!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Good morning all. I’ve purchased my first slingshot and can’t wait to take possession. My dilemma is transporting from a dealership by Spokane Washington to Dallas Texas. I know it needs an enclosed trailer. Any recommendations for an auto transport company? I had one scheduled with a three day pickup window but it looks like they are dropping the ball and can’t give me a date of pickup at this point.

Also considering flying there to pickup and drive home, but it looks like a 28 hour drive. It’s a dealer demo 2021 Slingshot R, 1800 miles on it. First service has already been performed. Any concerns with constant driving for extended time over 1-2 days?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or advice.

One thing that you will want to learn on day one is how to turn OFF the 'nannies' (traction control & ABS) If you are on wet roads you want them OFF. Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity" Keep us posted on your adventure home with the new toy. Maybe post your route before hand and some of us may meet you for a coffee along the way.

• EjFord
    I’ve seen it mentioned on the forums here about turning off traction control and ABS in rain. Forgive my ignorance, but what happens in the slingshot during rain that benefits turning them off? I grasp ABS part taking control away from driver. Is it during straight line driving, cornering, or both where rain is such a concern? I know it is such a light weight vehicle, but again forgive my ignorance.

• EjFord
    I’ve seen it mentioned on the forums here about turning off traction control and ABS in rain. Forgive my ignorance, but what happens in the slingshot during rain that benefits turning them off? I grasp ABS part taking control away from driver. Is it during straight line driving, cornering, or both where rain is such a concern? I know it is such a light weight vehicle, but again forgive my ignorance.

The 3 wheel set up for the Slingshot changes all kinds of dynamics. A slight bump in the road on wet roads you will be spinning out of control is a second. Most of us who have a few miles in the Slingshot have learned a little over the years. (I have 107,000+ miles on my Slingshot) and have ridden in the rain more than I like. Sometimes you have to get home. Both Traction control and ABS can cause the problem. On my 2016 Slingshot you press and hold the which until both lights on the dash come on.

• The 3 wheel set up for the Slingshot changes all kinds of dynamics. A slight bump in the road on wet roads you will be spinning out of control is a second. Most of us who have a few miles in the Slingshot have learned a little over the years. (I have 107,000+ miles on my Slingshot) and have ridden in the rain more than I like. Sometimes you have to get home. Both Traction control and ABS can cause the problem. On my 2016 Slingshot you press and hold the which until both lights on the dash come on.

Yes EjFord i remember a pig trail ride in Eureka in a pouring rain and it was not fun by any means.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• EjFord

Hydroplaning on the slingshot is REAL and very dangerous. I remember getting caught in a bad storm coming down from Georgia. I literally had to stop every 20 minutes and I was driving 45 mph on the expressway because my rear tire kept sliding from side to side and attempting to make me lose control. Not to mention in heavy rain you cant see shit. Never again.

• I don't mind driving in the rain as long as I can see. Hydroplaning scares me but thanks to EJ that button gets held in when the first drops start to fall. A set of wipers would sure help and there are some very good ones made for boating I have used. I am just afraid they would scratch the windshield and the may look a little odd on my full helmet.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• Looks like wife and I are flying in Wednesday morning to Spokane to begin journey back. Lowest quote that seems reliable or guaranteed dates was $2100 for enclosed transport. Two tickets on Southwest for just under $600. Spokane to Salt Lake City, SLC to outside Santa Fe, then to DFW (McKinney). Rolling the dice and praying for dry roads!

• Looks like wife and I are flying in Wednesday morning to Spokane to begin journey back. Lowest quote that seems reliable or guaranteed dates was $2100 for enclosed transport. Two tickets on Southwest for just under $600. Spokane to Salt Lake City, SLC to outside Santa Fe, then to DFW (McKinney). Rolling the dice and praying for dry roads!

FroggToggs are good rain gear. Can get them at most sports stores. Keep us informed on your adventure.

• A quick look at NOAA says you should be good. A little cold leaving Spokane maybe. Too bad the transport quote is so high but with the price of fuel I'm not surprised. Make sure to post a pic of the proud parents leaving the hospital dealer!

:REDSS: Have a safe trip home!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I'm in North Idaho. So Spokane is very common for me. Mornings are cold right now, for sure. Check weather. That is going to be a long drive. Crazy long... I recommend staying the night at least once if not twice. If you have full face helmets, this will be a major plus. At 70 MPH its a lot of wind and semi-trucks, etc create big blasts.

Too bad I'm swamped with work, I may have wanted to drive it half way for you. :)

Congrats on the SS. I just took mine out yesterday and drove around Coeur DaLene and Post Falls. Always lookers and people waving. The Slings are massive attention grabbers! Enjoy!!!

• Finally picked up Wednesday afternoon in Spokane,WA. Great views driving through mountains that still have snow ❄️ on the sides of the road going through Idaho, but definitely ran into rain 🌧 in Idaho and Montana. 37 degrees and got soaked. Change of clothes at a gas station and back on the road. Made it to just south of Salt Lake City to rest. On to New Mexico in the morning.

Handles like a dream and having so much fun with my wife. Turned traction control off any time roads were wet but didn’t break traction one time except for starting in first on the aggressive side.

Full face helmets with communication have made a huge difference, thanks for the advice so far!