Soft Brake Pedal

• I dont know if the slamming on brakes is a good thing.... I also heard (but I have yet to ask Henry) that Alpha said that they are seeing air getting in from the area near the brake master cylinder mount. so if you do not have the brake support slamming the brake would cause more stress on this mounting point leading to more possibility of air getting into the brake system.

dont know if this is true.

• I had signs of brake fluid leaking under the reservoir to the top of the cylinder, so the dealer ordered new seals.
    Went to the dealer today to get the repair work done. Said he found one of the seals 'folded over', which may have be why my pedal eventually goes soft. After the new seals were in, the pedal instantly went back to nice and firm, so we'll see how this works out. About a 30 mile ride home and so far so good.

• Said he found one of the seals 'folded over', which may have be why my pedal eventually goes soft. After the new seals were in, the pedal instantly went back to nice and firm, so we'll see how this works out

There's a little blue mod for that :) Keeps it firm all day long......

Ok, I'll leave this stuff to @Tripod I kinda just creaped myself out a bit, lol

• I had signs of brake fluid leaking under the reservoir to the top of the cylinder, so the dealer ordered new seals.
    Went to the dealer today to get the repair work done. Said he found one of the seals 'folded over', which may have be why my pedal eventually goes soft. After the new seals were in, the pedal instantly went back to nice and firm, so we'll see how this works out. About a 30 mile ride home and so far so good.

Found evidence of mine leaking at the forward pressure sensor banjo fitting when checking after brake fail light. Going in for new sensors whenever they come in.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• Well got the call the parts (brake pressure switches)came in and took the sling in for the pressure switches to be changed out. So while they're looking at it they came out and asked me if I had topped up the master cylinder, I replied "I tried the drain, flush and fill fix but it didn't keep the light off". They asked me if I had spilled any brake fluid when filling and I said "not a drop" their reply was follow us.....well into the shop we go and they show me the Master cylinder leaking from the the seals connecting the reservoir tank to the cylinder. Not a ton but enough to get the bottom wet. So now I'm waiting for seals to come before they change the pressure switches. In the meanwhile I show him the screw holding the front of the hood louvre gouging the valve cover. The service manager then goes and pops the hood on 3 brand new ones and see's they're all contacting. They check for an updated part and no joy it hasn't changed. He calls Polaris and they say they haven't had a problem but some dealers have reported an issue, so they're now also sending the "Polaris fix" I'm like what, they have a fix but not doing it at the factory level Guess it's some kind of plastic dart, oh well at least the dealer is helping me as much as possible..So you might want to check the under side of the Master cylinder in any event even if you don't have spongy brakes.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• I think that alot of owners have leaking brake seals and it's not visable.

But the dealer changes the sensors. And they top off brake fluid bleed and all is well for a short time until the slow leak trips a sensor again

• @V-SHOT, this is the thread. Were I you, I would try this before your appointment at the dealership.

Got it!
    If this pesky rain stops soon, I'll give the "quick fix" a try. If not, I'll be at the Dealer's Shop tomorrow anyway, so I'll tell them about it. Can't remember if I ever read this thread. And I always thought the brakes were supposed to feel like this. I'm a persistent "double-pumper", when it comes to the brakes on the Sling. I've done that since day one. Who knew!!!!

• Got it!If this pesky rain stops soon, I'll give the "quick fix" a try. If not, I'll be at the Dealer's Shop tomorrow anyway, so I'll tell them about it. Can't remember if I ever read this thread. And I always thought the brakes were supposed to feel like this. I'm a persistent "double-pumper", when it comes to the brakes on the Sling. I've done that since day one. Who knew!!!!

Yeah, they almost hit the floor when I was driving, and I looked at Heather and said "this ain't good." Kinda freaked me out a bit. Hope you can get them squared away.

• Here is something that happened the other day. I backed up kind of quickly and hit the brakes, when I did the ABS on the brakes came on. (Not the lights in the dash) Just maybe this is another way to get the air out of the ABS system. Also by the way, just a note to folks with soft pedals, on my brakes I have roughly 1/2 inch or less of free play on my brake pedal. It has been like this for thousands of miles now but I have been bleeding my brakes every time that I change the oil. It doesn't take but about 5 minutes to do, the way that I do it.

• Well, I finally broke down & made an appointment with the dealer for the 24th of the month. (He wanted to see it next week, but I have to watch the weather, as well as time with my schedule.) Brakes have been on the soft side, and he has bled several times. Last time, he said he thought we may be having a master cylinder problem, and let him know if they got worse..... They are getting worse- but not unmanageable. HOWEVER- for the last 4 days, something weird has been happening. Once or twice a day- I apply the brakes, and the pedal fights me- maybe it is a vibration, but it is more like a shuttering/vibrating, as it pushes back up..... The sling stops, anyway- it is just slightly un-nerving. I am usually not speeding,when I apply them, as I downshift when coming to a stop most of the time. It has been consistently, once or twice only, each day- today was once only, and I was in stoplight and stop sign territory for at least 20 miles. I cannot get it to repeat. Rotors look fine- no high spots, etc. Service manager said that he figured it was the master cylinder, as he looked at rotors last time I was in. So, I feel pretty certain he will look, open case, power bleed, and tell me he will call me when the parts come in........... :( (That is a small perk about being 40 miles away, and by myself- they pretty much know that they have to fix it, or make sure it is safe to drive that day- or give me another vehicle........ Hmmmmm- sales manger's F150 is all fixed up nice & pretty, after I got clobbered in it, as a loaner. He's real happy. Think they will loan me the sling they put the turbo on?? :D )

• Got it!If this pesky rain stops soon, I'll give the "quick fix" a try. If not, I'll be at the Dealer's Shop tomorrow anyway, so I'll tell them about it. Can't remember if I ever read this thread. And I always thought the brakes were supposed to feel like this. I'm a persistent "double-pumper", when it comes to the brakes on the Sling. I've done that since day one. Who knew!!!!

How's them brakes, bub?

• Well, I finally broke down & made an appointment with the dealer for the 24th of the month. (He wanted to see it next week, but I have to watch the weather, as well as time with my schedule.) Brakes have been on the soft side, and he has bled several times. Last time, he said he thought we may be having a master cylinder problem, and let him know if they got worse..... They are getting worse- but not unmanageable. HOWEVER- for the last 4 days, something weird has been happening. Once or twice a day- I apply the brakes, and the pedal fights me- maybe it is a vibration, but it is more like a shuttering/vibrating, as it pushes back up..... The sling stops, anyway- it is just slightly un-nerving. I am usually not speeding,when I apply them, as I downshift when coming to a stop most of the time. It has been consistently, once or twice only, each day- today was once only, and I was in stoplight and stop sign territory for at least 20 miles. I cannot get it to repeat. Rotors look fine- no high spots, etc. Service manager said that he figured it was the master cylinder, as he looked at rotors last time I was in. So, I feel pretty certain he will look, open case, power bleed, and tell me he will call me when the parts come in........... :( (That is a small perk about being 40 miles away, and by myself- they pretty much know that they have to fix it, or make sure it is safe to drive that day- or give me another vehicle........ Hmmmmm- sales manger's F150 is all fixed up nice & pretty, after I got clobbered in it, as a loaner. He's real happy. Think they will loan me the sling they put the turbo on?? :D )

Hmmm, doesn't sound good (the brake issue). Hope the dealer gets you fixed up, Dee...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014