Ecotec motor Tear-down video

• so after watching this excellent video.... clean oil is very critical to keep it running... my question is...should we continue to change oil at 5,000 or do it maybe at 4,000? My oil changes are getting progressively dirtier... at 30,000...

• Seems oil level + quality leads to longer life, unless Doug is installing inspection ports.... would be interesting to know how many miles were on that engine. He likes the word 'catastrophic'.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• As long as I'm using a quality synthetic oil which should last far longer than 5,000 miles, I see no reason to change to a shorter oil change interval. I've got just over 62,000 miles on my 2015 and I started using Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic oil a while back. It's normally advertised for engines with 75,000+ miles.

• As long as I'm using a quality synthetic oil which should last far longer than 5,000 miles, I see no reason to change to a shorter oil change interval. I've got just over 62,000 miles on my 2015 and I started using Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic oil a while back. It's normally advertised for engines with 75,000+ miles.

It may last longer but when I did my first 5,000 oil change the color of the oil was like it went in... the one I just did at 30,000 was very black.... so it has to be dirt and carbon right?
    Maybe start changing the oil filter halfway through At 2,500 miles intervals.

and as a side note....I’ve never owned a vehicle that didn’t burn oil.....and many of those I bought new.

• I typically have my local Ford Quick Lane change my oil & filter and rotate my tires every 5,000 miles. I'm due in a another 200 miles. I checked my Engine Oil Life display the other day and it still shows I have around 58% left as far as the engine oil life sensing system is concerned.

• I typically have my local Ford Quick Lane change my oil & filter and rotate my tires every 5,000 miles. I'm due in a another 200 miles. I checked my Engine Oil Life display the other day and it still shows I have around 58% left as far as the engine oil life sensing system is concerned.

I have that on one of my rides (not the Sling). I assumed it was mileage based but you make it sound like an active monitoring system. Can you elaborate BKL ?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

I haven't had one of those filter life displays till the RAM. At least on the ram it's mileage/hours based - can reset when dirty as I did it messing around with it before I changed the oil and filters. I was concerned if it got to 0% it'd put it in limp mode like low DEF will which is dumb...

• I haven't had one of those filter life displays till the RAM. At least on the ram it's mileage/hours based - can reset when dirty as I did it messing around with it before I changed the oil and filters. I was concerned if it got to 0% it'd put it in limp mode like low DEF will which is dumb...

Not sure what oil change intervals you are doing on your Slingshot, but when I pulled your valve cover during the supercharger install, the inside of your cylinder head looked brand new, super clean, so whatever you are doing keep it up :thumbsup:

• I haven't had one of those filter life displays till the RAM. At least on the ram it's mileage/hours based - can reset when dirty as I did it messing around with it before I changed the oil and filters. I was concerned if it got to 0% it'd put it in limp mode like low DEF will which is dumb...

I actually have the same on my Silverado. I did some investigating (read the manual) and it says it actually considers the number of stop/starts, engine rpms, tow mode, etc in determining the oil life. I've always been one to change at 4-5000 miles regardless. Figure for the price of 1 gas fill up, I can help my engine live longer. My 2008 Avalanche with 180K miles was doing great too and was just starting to burn some oil (about 1/2 quart every oil change) when I finally traded it in.

• The Sling will be the first vehicle that I will have the oil changed at 5K. I seldom get a oil change before 10K and 20k is normal. That Sunbird that went 360K had a few 50K changes. It was still running good when it was hit by a fright train. But then I don't drive as hard as some of you guys do.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I haven't bothered to look up how Ford determines oil life. I know it's reset at each oil change and displays 100% and starts going down as I drive.I'm now about 550 miles from my next 5000 mile oil change/tire rotation and it currently displays around 55-57%, implying I could probably go longer between oil changes, but 5000 mile oil change intervals work well with my tire rotations and will hopefully keep my engine running longer as a new vehicle will put a strain on my finances.