Angle Drive Leak - one possible cause

• Just had my 2016.5 SL in for service because the angle drive was leaking. There are a number of possible sources for a leak but in my case it seemed to be weeping out from around the cover bolts.

When the tech took the cover off he discovered that the liquid gasket had been applied around the outside edge of the bolt holes (red area) which allows the oil leak out around the bolts. He figures the liquid gasket should be applied to the inside edge of the bolt holes (green area), but to be safe he applied it to both sides (green + blue area). Made a lot of sense to me and I'm surprised they appear to have got it wrong at the factory. No previous service work on the angle drive (I bought it new). Maybe it was built on a Friday?

• just got mine back today,i have 2017 slr that had the same problem.but they also put the inside gasket on that is not a liquid gasket.have to see after some miles on it to see if don't leak again.

• I don't know what other parts need to be replaced but the 2015-2016 Service Manual says:

15. Apply Threebond™ or similar liquid gasket to inside of a cleaned angle drive cover sealing surface.
    16. Install the angle drive cover and the ten bolts securing the cover to the angle drive case

(no mention of a non-liquid gasket)

But your tech may be replacing other angle drive seals (eg. pinion oil seal, sprocket oil seal) at the same time to cover all bases.

• I don't know what other parts need to be replaced but the 2015-2016 Service Manual says:

(no mention of a non-liquid gasket)
    But your tech may be replacing other angle drive seals (eg. pinion oil seal, sprocket oil seal) at the same time to cover all bases.

That's what I was hoping to hear. The mother ship made them take pictures of it leaking, and another pic to show leakage overnight to approve the warranty repair. That took 5 days. Now another 5 for parts. I have high confidence in their tech but haven't had any direct feedback yet. The only leakage I detected was on the driver's side seal. I know that I'll get it back properly repaired with another year of warranty to back that up.

Goin' to Sundre Slingfest!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Just had my 2016.5 SL in for service because the angle drive was leaking. There are a number of possible sources for a leak but in my case it seemed to be weeping out from around the cover bolts.

When the tech took the cover off he discovered that the liquid gasket had been applied around the outside edge of the bolt holes (red area) which allows the oil leak out around the bolts. He figures the liquid gasket should be applied to the inside edge of the bolt holes (green area), but to be safe he applied it to both sides (green + blue area). Made a lot of sense to me and I'm surprised they appear to have got it wrong at the factory. No previous service work on the angle drive (I bought it new). Maybe it was built on a Friday?

Did they pull the angle drive before removing the cover or was it left attached?

• So I have a bunch of new items to install one being the angle drive bracket. When I crawled under to check things out I found this.

there is oil wetness all around the bottom

Half of the angle drive unit. So before I install the bracket I need some recommendations. I haven’t checked for any loose cover bolts. Does this appear to be a failed cover seal? I did change the angle drive fluid a year ago maybe two.

Looking at the above picture about the liquid gasket my exhaust pipe is only about an inch away from the cover. You can see part of it in the top and bottom picture. Could exhaust pipe heat be an issue?

• They pulled the drive out, had it on the bench when they pulled the cover.

You have to remove the angle drive to take off the cover.

If you have a leak check the bolts first it is not uncommon to find them loose. The pinon seal is another culprit. I have both leaking at the moment waiting on an appointment to pull it and fix both...but mine has been leaking for over a year

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I think with the belt sprocket on and my exhaust pipe giving my little clearance....it looks like with the sprocket on, the angle drive just doesn’t fall straight down and out...it looks like the sprocket will cause the angle drive to drop down cover side first .....will it be better to pull the sprocket off first? To give me a little more maneuvering room?

• the pivot shaft is confusing because on the driver side of the shaft is a big Allen head.
    the pivot shaft it torqued and the nut is torqued....

So how do you torque the shaft? Or unloose it to begin with? Is that the Allen head? Where do you even find an Allen wrench That big... I have to buy a special socket for the pivot nut...1 1/8” is too small and 1 1/4” is too big. 27 mm is too small....

the book just says loosen the nut and remove the pivot....like everyone did it a thousand times already...