All of sudden, can’t downshift from 5th to 4th

• Maybe someone else had this issue....
    I have stock shifter, been perfect for 2 years, today I take it out, in 5th gear climbing a hill and went to downshift to 4th. I couldn’t!!
    All up shifts are smooth as all are all downshift at any speeds except now for this problem . I had to push into 3rd, then to 4th from 5th gear.
    I spent next 30 minutes trying to figure it out.
    Sitting still I can shift any gear, but if I’m moving, I can not make that shift any more..??
    Ideas?
    Thank you, Joe

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• Yes, its smooth shifting other than this new problem, it does not grind or make noise, it just wont go into 4th from 5th.
    I forced it a couple times but I know that's going to break something if I keep trying that.
    I am not sure if there is anything under shift linkage that might be broken or problem is deeper in trans.

• Stock, just got back from seeing if double clutching it would change, it didn’t matter, I can’t get it back in 4th from 5th without shifting to 3rd first...strange how it works perfect upshifting in all gears though. 8|

• Sitting still engine running it shifts into any gear easily, only when it’s moving I can’t downshift to 4th, and it happened that quick, one day it’s fine and today it’s not.
    Not sure why going to 3rd then back to 4th it goes in...??

• The AR5 does have an issue with the 4th or 3rd gear synchros wearing. We have seen this on the Solstice/Sky for awhile and looks like it might be starting to show up with the Slingshots now that the mileage of some of these are starting to get up there. I have heard of 2 other cases of this in the past couple months now. Basically, 3rd and 4th gear are on the same shaft with the syncro for 3rd on one side and the syncro for 4th on the other side. The 4th gear syncro looks like a square and fits into the gear, but over time that square will start to wear and become a point, which allows the syncro to over rotate and not line up the shift collar with the gear. Since the syncro basically kinda blocks that gear from engaging, it feels like you are pressing against something very solid while the engine is running, if you shut off the engine, you can go through all of the gears like everything is fine. If you just touch 3rd gear, the syncro lines up that gear and so you can then slide into 4th without a problem. Not sure if this is what is going on with you Joe, but your description matches exactly what we typically see and feel here when the syncro wears out.

We have never been able to figure out any kind of correlation with the syncro failure over the years. We have seen it happen on naturally aspiarated and 500hp engines, turbo, supercharged, after market clutch, stock clutch, stock GM trans fluid or a multitude of aftermarket fluids. The transmission can be rebuilt, but it is far cheaper to find a used unit typically.

Hope that helps, I will try to find the gear I had sitting on my desk that shows exactly what it looks like when the syncro fails.
    Dave

• it’s like there is no 4th gear slot to downshift into until I go to third, I don’t let clutch out, I just shift around and there is no grinding or any noise.

• The AR5 does have an issue with the 4th or 3rd gear synchros wearing. We have seen this on the Solstice/Sky for awhile and looks like it might be starting to show up with the Slingshots now that the mileage of some of these are starting to get up there. I have heard of 2 other cases of this in the past couple months now. Basically, 3rd and 4th gear are on the same shaft with the syncro for 3rd on one side and the syncro for 4th on the other side. The 4th gear syncro looks like a square and fits into the gear, but over time that square will start to wear and become a point, which allows the syncro to over rotate and not line up the shift collar with the gear. Since the syncro basically kinda blocks that gear from engaging, it feels like you are pressing against something very solid while the engine is running, if you shut off the engine, you can go through all of the gears like everything is fine. If you just touch 3rd gear, the syncro lines up that gear and so you can then slide into 4th without a problem. Not sure if this is what is going on with you Joe, but your description matches exactly what we typically see and feel here when the syncro wears out.

We have never been able to figure out any kind of correlation with the syncro failure over the years. We have seen it happen on naturally aspiarated and 500hp engines, turbo, supercharged, after market clutch, stock clutch, stock GM trans fluid or a multitude of aftermarket fluids. The transmission can be rebuilt, but it is far cheaper to find a used unit typically.

Hope that helps, I will try to find the gear I had sitting on my desk that shows exactly what it looks like when the syncro fails.
    Dave

that’s exactly my problem Dave!!! Dammit!!!
    Thank you for detailed answer!!
    Now what to do.... :S

• that’s exactly my problem Dave!!! Dammit!!!Thank you for detailed answer!!
    Now what to do.... :S

Joe, How many miles do you have on your slingshot, year? Did you do the extended warrantee?

On my second unit 2016 I did buy the extended warrantee...and I have 44,000 miles on it. I've already used the funds spent on the warrantee....

• Keep us posted, if not I may know of a few tranny’s laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir, I’ll find out Tuesday if it’s still under warranty.
    I drove it last night and started getting used to changing shift pattern and for now it’s at least working well enough to still enjoy cruising.