Slingshot Bucket List aka Cool Places to Drive Your Slingshot

• @Rob the Slob that was some gorgeous pics. What time of year was that ride? That’s just cool. How long was your vacation or ride in the area? Wonder if some other coonass and south Texan could plan maybe in 2019.. This year I will be full with Kerrville And MV not to mention the campaign that is started now til at least April. Thanking you in advance Jim
    JUST SAYIN

COONASS!!!! Did somebody say COONASS!!! - I’m in !!! :00008359:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• @Rob the Slob that was some gorgeous pics. What time of year was that ride? That’s just cool. How long was your vacation or ride in the area? Wonder if some other coonass and south Texan could plan maybe in 2019.. This year I will be full with Kerrville And MV not to mention the campaign that is started now til at least April. Thanking you in advance Jim
    JUST SAYIN

@Boomer It looks like it's during the sturgis rally which is usually first week in august. I've heard about a Slingshot get together the week before sturgis, but I don't remember where I read about it. I know that @harleyujoe is heading up there in July. Perhaps it's for that pre-sturgis get together. It would be neat to put something together like that. Depending on the year, holding it during sturgis would be tough as it gets crowded as a mofo there during the rally. These things wouldn't be the easiest to find parking for during the rally. I've seen a few (very few) slingshots up there during the rally, but mostly riding around the beautiful roads up there, not really in the thick of all the MC action and craziness. The towns convert to handle traffic flow for 2 wheelers and a few trikes. I don't think our Slings would be able to ride into where all the bikes go. At least, that's what I've experienced on a couple of the MC rallies that I've attended on the sling. I end up having to park with the cars far away from everything and walking. :(

• Well it looks like I may have started a little ride. Ok let’s get it together, but not when another rally is going on. Just some SS riders and riding stopping where we want , take some pics for @Ross and the calendar and just ride around.
    Yeah Coonass I am talking about you.
    Don’t know what time but something to consider! JUST SAYIN
    Don’t know who lives in that area but maybe we could just park our trucks and trailers at their house and go. I don’t know but sounds like a great idea!
    @jorgebri60 are you in for consideration
    @dangerdarrell you in
    @ Bill Martin you in
    @thesabrerattleryou up for it
    Just getting ready to start things for 2019

Keep Three Wheels Down

JUST SAYIN

@Boomer We made that ride the third week in May. One full week before Memorial Day weekend. It had snowed 24” on May 1st that year and there was still snow in Spearfish Canyon. The locals called it refrigerator canyon.
    We flew up to Rapid City on a Saturday, rented the bikes on Sunday and returned them on Saturday. Then flew back home on Sunday. The weather was great the first 5 days turned cold and rained the last 2.
    I would put this on a MUST DO list. I would like to try and plan 2019 trip. The Slings would be great up there.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• FYI ..... Sturgis Bike Rally has blossomed into a three week event..... week before, week of and week after. Getting hotel rooms can be problematic and impossible the actual Sturgis week!

• I was thinking maybe about the time of color change on trees. What time of year is that in that part of country. That may be too late . Just ideas all need to chime in cause this is the ride for 2019. What say you all?

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Official dates for the Sturgis Rally are Aug 2nd - 11th. We were planning on taking our trip either mid June or late July. 4th of July is on a Wednesday if anyone is planning on working the holiday into the schedule.

If we're talking 2019, not 2018, this could work... I should be off June/July... :D

And hopefully I'll have a dolly (pending a measurement I have yet to take) or a trailer...? :/

• I go there almost every summer, friend has a cabin just outside of Custer, SD. They had a nasty fire out there this fall, not sure how much got damaged but I heard it was pretty nasty. Almost got smucked by a cow buffalo, if it wasn't for the Ranger in a pickup I would have gotten to see how good there EMS service was. He got the truck between my bike and the cow just as she charged and dented the heck out if his truck. Dam cars stop and don't let you through and all you can do is pray. It is beautiful there and go every year. No dam bison is gonna keep me away.

• I was thinking maybe about the time of color change on trees. What time of year is that in that part of country. That may be too late . Just ideas all need to chime in cause this is the ride for 2019. What say you all?

Fall colors are late Sept. around the buffalo Roundup. Went there this year n the colors were great.

• Wish the weather was nice enough to take the Slingshot but we are headed to Yosemite National Park in February.

Going to grab a photo like these

Checking this one off the bucket list!

Some geeky info ....

”Fire Falls” can be seen at Horsetail Falls in Yosemite National Park. Horsetail Falls is a seasonal waterfall that only flows after rain or as the snow melts above El Capitan because it is fed by water runoff from roughly 30 acres of grassland. This event occurs when the sun is in just the right spot to reflect off the granite behind the waterfall and cause it to light up. The sun also needs to be close to the horizon to give off its orange light and thus turn the waterfall orange.

Made famous by Galen Rowell, who in his memoir Mountain Light detailed his scramble to photograph the Firefall when he spotted it in February 1973. Rowell’s Last Light on Horsetail Fall is the first known photo of the Firefall, and endures to this day as one of the most iconic photos in landscape photography.

But 1973 did not mark the first photo of a Firefall in Yosemite, just the first photo of the natural phenomenon. From 1872 until 1968, burning garbage was dumped from the top of Glacier Point to Yosemite Valley’s floor 3,000 feet below, which looked like a waterfall of fire. This fire-fall occurred nightly at 9 p.m. in the summer, and was held by Glacier Point Hotel. Ironically, Glacier Point Hotel was destroyed by fire in 1969, and has not been rebuilt.

The National Park Service eventually ordered it to end because it was causing damage to Yosemite Valley, both in terms of meadows being trampled and the whole flaming garbage thing. All of this might seem absurd and a case of “what were they thinking?!” to us today, but keep in mind that this was also an era during which people fed bears out of car windows and park rangers encouraged guests to watch bears eat at garbage pits

I do like the Roadtrippers App and Desktop service as I can pick different point to include on the map - food, lodging, weird stuff, etc.

• Well it looks like I may have started a little ride. Ok let’s get it together, but not when another rally is going on. Just some SS riders and riding stopping where we want , take some pics for @Ross and the calendar and just ride around.
    Just getting ready to start things for 2019

Count me in!!!

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1