It's a Simple Question, Really...

• I just want to know if the rafters in my patio cover are strong enough for my wife and I to throw a couple of lawn chairs up there and maybe a small table between them and just chill out while we watch the evening stars come out. Can't find anything on Google or YouTube, so I thought, maybe there's a carpenter in the group that could weigh in on the subject.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• The rafters are 2x6 and the decking is probably 3/8 tongue in groove plywood. I've walked around up there, but only by myself, never the two of us. I was actually thinking of buying a pre-made stair case from Home Depot and attaching it to the front, but wanted to ask everyone if they thought it was a good idea before I go off the deep end on this idea... 😆

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• That tongue and groove is probably 2x but it could be 1x. It looks like car decking which is usually 2x douglas fir There could be plywood sheeting above that. If it's 2x and not cedar, I'd think it would easily hold 2 people.

What kind of roofing is on there? Glue down?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• That looks like T1-11 siding. It would hold your weight, but every time you're on it you risk damaging the roofing material.

By golly I think you're right. T1-11 shouldn't be used horizontally and would not be structurally sound for supporting additional weight.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• My wife and I have a very similar patio covering and before we put the pool in we actually considered doing the exact same thing, a manufacture set of stairs, perhaps one of those decorative metal spiral stair things - and then some chairs and tables.

Eventually we decided against it. just seemed like sitting up there would give us a view that might make the neighbors feel like we were violating their privacy

I know that I wouldn't really care for it if my neighbors were always sitting up on their roof being able to watch everything we are doing when we are out in the yard

Just something to consider

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Well, thanks to many of the responses in this thread from folks that are a hell of a lot smarter about these things than I am, I've decided against the idea of using it as a "balcony." Who knows, one of you may have saved my wife and I from a serious accident. On to the next project! 🤣

• these rafters are only toe nailed in and eventually you’ll end up on top out the collapsed roof....the nails will pull out....in short it was not designed with that in mind.....

You are absolutely correct and my dad pointed out the very same thing. I've scrubbed the whole idea. Thanks