Question about Disabling Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control

• After having read posts abut disabling both the TC and ESC systems when riding in heavy rain, I tried to disable both systems during a ride a few nights ago. Both lights come on during the start process, so I can only assume both systems are functioning, but during my little test session I couldn't get either system to turn off and never saw any lights to indicate the systems were disabled. I have sen the squiggly lines come on occasionally during hard acceleration, but while trying to disable both systems, I realized I it's been a while since I saw the ESC light come on.

Do folks agree that I either have a problem with the switch or a bigger problem preventing the disabling of both systems?

I guess this means I really need to go get the rear fuse recall addressed and also have them check the switch, etc.

• The default setting on the ESP switch is for both to be on when initially started up. So whatever the settings were on the last ride, it will reset back to having both features activated. The t/c should turn of if you just momentarily hit the switch, and the stability will stay functioning. To disable the stability part of the system, you would have to hold that switch depressed for 5 seconds. So if it doesn't show up as being turned off on your instrument cluster, you have a issue. Since it does light up during the system test on start up, I would have to guess that you may have a bad switch, but without having the shop manual to see their test flow chart, it's only a guess

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• That's what I was suspecting. I held the switch down for what seemed like far longer then 5 seconds, yet neither light came on to indicate any impact from depressing the switch.

The only other factor I was wondering about is the fact that my Slingshot was in motion and not stationary when I tried to turn the systems off.

• Based on your description of the events, it sounds like your TC is working and told you so during the hard acceleration. The squiggly lines coming on occasionally means it prevented your back tire from breaking loose. Funinthesun is correct. When you press the button once, like you would any button, it should turn the TC off and that same squiggly line indicator would stay on. Press the button again and hold it for three to five seconds and the ESP light should come on, meaning that's turned off, too. If it ain't doing that, I'd have it looked at before I ventured out on a rainy day again.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Funinthesun is exactly correct.

The only thing I have to add is that with both systems active, you have to depress the button for 5 sec until both lights in your instrument cluster are lit.

If you have T/C off (one button push) then try to push again to turn off S/C, it won't work.

Push once: T/C off

Push again: T/C back on

One long push, both go off.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• That's what I was suspecting. I held the switch down for what seemed like far longer then 5 seconds, yet neither light came on to indicate any impact from depressing the switch.

The only other factor I was wondering about is the fact that my Slingshot was in motion and not stationary when I tried to turn the systems off.

You don't have to be sitting still to turn either of them off. You can disable one or both on the fly. Just remember when you turn the engine off, both systems will be on again when you restart it.

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Based on your description of the events, it sounds like your TC is working and told you so during the hard acceleration. The squiggly lines coming on occasionally means it prevented your back tire from breaking loose. Funinthesun is correct. When you press the button once, like you would any button, it should turn the TC off and that same squiggly line indicator would stay on. Press the button again and hold it for three to five seconds and the ESP light should come on, meaning that's turned off, too. If it ain't doing that, I'd have it looked at before I ventured out on a rainy day again.

If it's already raining or a reasonably high chance of getting caught in heavy rain (40%+), then I usually don't go out. I've gotten caught in enough rain and experienced hydroplaning that I'm not in any hurry to get caught again. I'd just like to decrease the chances of problems if I do get caught again.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• If it's already raining or a reasonably high chance of getting caught in heavy rain (40%+). then I usually don't go out. I've gotten caught in enough rain and experienced hydroplaning that I'm not in any hurry to get caught again. I'd just like to decrease the chances of problems if I do get caught again.

Just think of all the riding you are missing just because of a weather forecast.

• Just think of all the riding you are missing just because of a weather forecast.

After hydroplaning and going sideways on the Interstate, I follow the old adage that Discretion is the better part of valor. While I generally feel safer in my Slingshot than I did on 2 wheels, I felt safer on 2 wheels in rain than I do in the Slingshot. I can deal with heavy rain if I get caught in it, but I'd rather avoid the extra problems one can encounter with the Slingshot in rain. Wide tires, light vehicle and rain do not a good combination make!

I tend to use my cruise control often and that may exacerbate problems if the nannies try to intervene.

• After hydroplaning and going sideways on the Interstate, I follow the old adage that Discretion is the better part of valor. While I generally feel safer in my Slingshot than I did on 2 wheels, I felt safer on 2 wheels in rain than I do in the Slingshot. I can deal with heavy rain if I get caught in it, but I'd rather avoid the extra problems one can encounter with the Slingshot in rain. Wide tires, light vehicle and rain do not a good combination make!

I tend to use my cruise control often and that may exacerbate problems if the nannies try to intervene.

You should "NEVER" use cruise control even in your car or truck with wet pavement

• @G O as FunCycle says, the only thing you'll see when you use that button is the lights on the dash coming on.

Press and release: Traction control off, TC light on dash comes on (light up the back tire)..

Press and hold: Electronic stabilty control off, ESC light on dash comes on (only recommended for riding in rain).

Press and release with one or two lights on: both functions turned on, dash lights go off.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)