Madstad vs F4 Windshield

• All, so after a few rides and having to turn around twice to pick up my hat...I'm looking at windshields. I've done my reading and am down to the madstad single or the F4. I'm a little over 6'1", 33 inseam and I want to look over it, so I figure the 11" madstad is as high as I should go. I live in Vegas so cockpit airflow in the summer is a MUST. I know the F4 (love the look and the extra strength) would need to have wings added while the madstad can be adjusted. Madstad seems the obvious choice; however, I read several posts indicating the madstad flexes in the wind. My wife is less than 5 foot and will have to look through any shield...so having the screen flexing at speed is not an option. The threads I read that mentioned flexing were old. Those of you that have bought a madstad in the last year...does it flex in the wind?

• Do you have a top on at all? If so, and this is just my personal opinion, I don't like the way the Madstad looks with a top on it, especially the TD / Bullet style frames, angles are just wrong.

I started off with the Madstad, and switched to Kev's Nascar windshield, which I love. Had to get the baker air wings as well.

https://allthingsslingshot.com…-nascar-styled-windshield

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them though

• Agreed. No top and don't plan to. I like the look of the NASCAR, but wings would be a must.

• We have both. And have driven in Vegas also. The Madstad does flex on the edges but not where you look through it. It is no problem at all. It definitely lets the wind through. The F4+5 we have is great but no wind and where you are it would be a negative. However I have seen the F4's with about 1 inch holes drilled in the bottom of them and the people liked them.

Jamesgn

• We have both. And have driven in Vegas also. The Madstad does flex on the edges but not where you look through it. It is no problem at all. It definitely lets the wind through. The F4+5 we have is great but no wind and where you are it would be a negative. However I have seen the F4's with about 1 inch holes drilled in the bottom of them and the people liked them.

Jamesgn

Roger that. If I go with the F4 it would be the +3. I think I'll see over it and the shape with take the wind over my head.

• I am going to throw this out there because I live in Palm Springs CA and we have very similar weather and extreme heat to what you have in Las Vegas.

My Slingshot is a 2016 SL and it came with the factory blade windshield - I only tried a few times, but no way in hell could I keep a ball cap on my head at anything over about 30 mph - not sure how much taller a windshield would have to be for hats, but for me it doesnt matter, when its 100+ degrees out 4+ months of the year I wanted more air flow not less - - last year I switched out the stock blade to the OEM double bubbles and I love the increased airflow - probably couldn't wear a hat at 20 mph now, but I don't care

Anyway I don't know how important wearing hats is to you ,but but for me it wasnt even close - no way I would reduce my airflow even a little just to allow for hats - - - just to dang hot for that

Anyway coming from a similar climate I just wanted to share

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Thanks for the feedback! I have to have a hat on during the day. I understand these options allow a lot of controllable air flow while reducing the rip your hat off effect. Regardless, the stock shield air hits me right in the eyeballs, so worth a try.

• Thanks for the feedback! I have to have a hat on during the day. I understand these options allow a lot of controllable air flow while reducing the rip your hat off effect. Regardless, the stock shield air hits me right in the eyeballs, so worth a try.

being in California I am stuck with a helmet anyway (at least I supposed to be 8o)

• 94,000 miles and only had a ball cap blow of twice, on a real windy day both times. My stock blade on the 2015-16 is cut down to about 1/8 inch above the center brace. That is cut down about 2 1/2 on the clear and around 2 3/4 inch on the tinted. 5 Ft. 6 inches and around 160 lbs. and still running the stock seats and I can see over the wind screen

• I, too am/was 6'1" (now a little shorter;)) and have a 33" inseam. I used a MadStad 13" Single Adjustable windshield for 4 years and was very happy with it. I even drilled a second set of holes a little above the original holes so the windshield could be mounted closer to the dash during colder weather. In my case, I drilled the holes a little too high, causing the windshield to be so low that I needed to raise the windshield before opening the hood. Yes, the MadStad flexes, but only along the edges, as stated in an earlier response. The flex shouldn't mar looking thru the windshield. Even with the 13" MadStad, I could still see over the top if necessary by simply lifting my head a little. The only reason I switched to the NASCAR styled Windshield (Tallboy +2) was I got tired of worrying about rain coming under the windshield and ruining my AFR/Boost gauge.

As far as the F4Custom windshield, you might consider Vetter Vents (around $33 on EBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slips…A-Clear-PAIR/272836900589). They're styled on round aircraft windshield vents require a 3-1/4" hole and friction fit. The EBay listing includes tips on installing them. I'm planning on installing a pair in my NASCAR styled windshield, once I get the nerve to drill the windshield. I test-drilled a 1/4 thick piece of PVC and the vent fit firmly, but the thickness of the PVC prevented proper operation, but if the F4Custom windshield is less than 1/4" thick, they should work with the F4Custom. Also, F4Custom was either offering or thinking about offering a modified Honda Goldwing windshield vent, so you might want to call F4. The Goldwing vents come in two different models for the 1500 or 1800 models and I think the 1800 model is a little flatter and therefore might be a better fit.

• I, too am/was 6'1" (now a little shorter;)) and have a 33" inseam. I used a MadStad 13" Single Adjustable windshield for 4 years and was very happy with it. I even drilled a second set of holes a little above the original holes so the windshield could be mounted closer to the dash during colder weather. In my case, I drilled the holes a little too high, causing the windshield to be so low that I needed to raise the windshield before opening the hood. Yes, the MadStad flexes, but only along the edges, as stated in an earlier response. The flex shouldn't mar looking thru the windshield. Even with the 13" MadStad, I could still see over the top if necessary by simply lifting my head a little. The only reason I switched to the NASCAR styled Windshield (Tallboy +2) was I got tired of worrying about rain coming under the windshield and ruining my AFR/Boost gauge.

As far as the F4Custom windshield, you might consider Vetter Vents (around $33 on EBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slips…A-Clear-PAIR/272836900589). They're styled on round aircraft windshield vents require a 3-1/4" hole and friction fit. The EBay listing includes tips on installing them. I'm planning on installing a pair in my NASCAR styled windshield, once I get the nerve to drill the windshield. I test-drilled a 1/4 thick piece of PVC and the vent fit firmly, but the thickness of the PVC prevented proper operation, but if the F4Custom windshield is less than 1/4" thick, they should work with the F4Custom. Also, F4Custom was either offering or thinking about offering a modified Honda Goldwing windshield vent, so you might want to call F4. The Goldwing vents come in two different models for the 1500 or 1800 models and I think the 1800 model is a little flatter and therefore might be a better fit.

There is also a set of vents/scoops that mount to the outside of the tub right behind the so called stock fenders. But the only way they will really give you air is to take the stock fenders off.

• Baker Air Wings from Slingmods.com act like old fashioned fly windows on a sedan. You can open them and get lots of airflow, close 'em in cold weather and stay out of the wind.

About half the cost of a new windscreen (about $200) and they preserve the look of the stock ripper windscreen.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I'm 6'2" and have a F4+5. I look just over the top of it. Can slide down a bit in the seat and look through if I needed to. My wife is 5'3" and no complaints looking through. I will say that the F4s do distort where they bend at the corners, but I hardly ever look at that piece of the road. Have baker air wings and they move a lot of air onto you when it gets hot, but pretty stable air without them with the +5 screen.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• Keeping the stocker isn't an option. Sounds like there's no concern for any flexing in the field of vision for the wife, so madstad

I'm 6'2" and have a F4+5. I look just over the top of it. Can slide down a bit in the seat and look through if I needed to. My wife is 5'3" and no complaints looking through. I will say that the F4s do distort where they bend at the corners, but I hardly ever look at that piece of the road. Have baker air wings and they move a lot of air onto you when it gets hot, but pretty stable air without them with the +5 screen.

Thanks. Having a really tough time deciding between the 2.

• okay - here is my best suggestion. here are two Facebook groups that are local to you:

Nevada Slingshot Owners

Slingshots of Las Vegas

both of these groups are full of good and helpful people who may be able to give you the answer you are looking for and might even have members who have the windshields you are considering where they would let you actually see them and perhaps sit in their slingshot so you could see the differences first hand

nothing will answer your question as well as actually seeing the options for yourself

• I rode in a friend's Slingshot before mine got delivered back in 2015 when I was considering buying a CanAM Spyder F# since I was getting tired of waiting for Texas to allow Slingshot sales. He had an F4 +3 widshield and I found myself constantly looking at the top of the windshield in my line-of-sight. Made me realize I didn't like that height. Did the same thing before buying a top to see if it would cause any problems. Nothing beats getting a test ride with the windshield or top under consideration!

• I rode in a friend's Slingshot before mine got delivered back in 2015 when I was considering buying a CanAM Spyder F# since I was getting tired of waiting for Texas to allow Slingshot sales. He had an F4 +3 widshield and I found myself constantly looking at the top of the windshield in my line-of-sight. Made me realize I didn't like that height. Did the same thing before buying a top to see if it would cause any problems. Nothing beats getting a test ride with the windshield or top under consideration!

Roger that. Sounds like you could see over a madstad 11 without much trouble and it will still let you wear a hat? lol

• Thanks. Yep, member of both. Normally I'd be going to sit/ride in some, but these aren't normal times.

• Roger that. Sounds like you could see over a madstad 11 without much trouble and it will still let you wear a hat? lol

I was almost able to keep a baseball hat on with the F4 +5. I ended up with a MadStad Adjustable 13" Single Windshield and usually wore my hat w/o problem. When I replaced my 2015 base model seats with 2018 SLR LE seats, they raised me up just high enough that my hat wouldn't always stay on.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I've had both those windscreens..Both are good and you won't go wrong whichever way you decide. I stuck with the Madstad 11 and like it a bit more as it both let in more air while also reducing turbulence. The F4 looks better. It's a matter of choosing looks vs functionality.