What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• I knew it. Nice work!

• Did away with the small bungee cords and made brackets for the top of my barrel bags. I ordered four baby gate 8 mm 4 1/2 inch long bolts off of Amazon and they worked perfect! On the inside of the bag is the knob that you can turn, spin off and take the bag right off if you want to. No wrench is needed.

Solid as a rock now!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Perhaps a 305/30/22?? This would give you a tad more diameter and perhaps a little bit more protection.

I am looking to get anything i can at this point lol. I am looking at a 315/30zr22 its called a Nitto NT420V. it costs 360 a tire. I dont know if it will rub or cause issues though and the tire store that i am wanting to put it on says they have absolutely NO CLUE. I wonder how they ever got into business if they dont know their own business lol.

• I am looking to get anything i can at this point lol. I am looking at a 315/30zr22 its called a Nitto NT420V. it costs 360 a tire. I dont know if it will rub or cause issues though and the tire store that i am wanting to put it on says they have absolutely NO CLUE. I wonder how they ever got into business if they dont know their own business lol.

I believe you mentioned that your tire rim is 10.5. A 315 is pushing it a little I believe. Not sure I would go much above a 305.

• I ran into the same issue. The original tire I purchased was just out of range. I couldn't get anyone to install it. Can't recall the numbers but BKL posted some excellent charts. Wish I saved them.

• I have found that a few "cars" have actually ran 315/30R22 without issue, they were on camaro's i believe. The only issue they ran into was having to roll their wheelwell to fit the larger tire. We shouldnt have that issue as, well, NO wheel well. I would have to change my whole rim appearance if i tried to go to a 12" rim. I dont want to have to go that route but I want a bigger tire. I did come across charts for tires and all of them state that the largest tire to go on a 10.5 rim is 295, but those charts are also quoting that it is a 20" rim. Mine are 22x10.5 and have seen larger tires on them. There is a lot to consider i guess. I dont want to be out riding and cause the tire is just a little too big, the bead pops and i end up with a flat tire and even worse end up wrecking the sling due to loss of control. Not good.

See now ya gone and done it, ya talked me out of getting bigger tires. I am stuck with 305s. ugg. you just made my wife very happy. lol

• Did away with the small bungee cords and made brackets for the top of my barrel bags. I ordered four baby gate 8 mm 4 1/2 inch long bolts off of Amazon and they worked perfect! On the inside of the bag is the knob that you can turn, spin off and take the bag right off if you want to. No wrench is needed.

Solid as a rock now!

so. SoCal - you have to open the bags to remove them from the racks? I love the way this mod looks, a much cleaner look than bungee cords, but seems like it could be a bit of a pain if you have to open the bags and dig through the packed cloths to spin off and on the knobs every time you take the bags off and on.

I am assuming that when you are traveling the bags come off the sling and go into the room at night wherever you are staying, obviously if they dont then this is a non issue - - perhaps put the contents of the bags in another bag so that the outer bags stay on the sling and the inner bag and its contents get taken in the room???

like I said - love the looks of this, very clean look, but as much as you guys travel seems like it could get annoying mounting and un mounting the bags all the time - - - could the bolts be flipped so that the spin off knobs where on the outside where you could just spin them off and grab the bag, bolts and all and take it it the room??

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Always use the manufacturer's website to determine what the manufacturer has determined is the minimum or maximum tire size for a given rim. While most manufacturers will use the same specs, some differ. Keep in mind that running a tire on a wheel the manufacturer has determined is inappropriate may increase the chances of having an unfortunate event.

Here's a link to the tire NNEVES57 referred to - https://www.nittotire.com/suv-…0v-luxury-truck-suv-tire/. Nitto recommends a rim between 10.5 - 11.5" with an ideal size of an 11.0" wide rim. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that tire for the Slingshot, especially since it's designed for a much heavier vehicle such as an SUV/CUV or light truck. It's also an asymmetric tire. Some folks don't like running an asymmetric tire on the rear of the Slingshot, but I didn't encounter any problems when I ran an asymmetric Sumitomo HTR ZIII on the rear of my Slingshot several years ago.

• Always use the manufacturer's website to determine what the manufacturer has determined is the minimum or maximum tire size for a given rim. While most manufacturers will use the same specs, some differ. Keep in mind that running a tire on a wheel the manufacturer has determined is inappropriate may increase the chances of having an unfortunate event.

Here's a link to the tire NNEVES57 referred to - https://www.nittotire.com/suv-…0v-luxury-truck-suv-tire/. Nitto recommends a rim between 10.5 - 11.5" with an ideal size of an 11.0" wide rim. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that tire for the Slingshot, especially since it's designed for a much heavier vehicle such as an SUV/CUV or light truck. It's also an asymmetric tire. Some folks don't like running an asymmetric tire on the rear of the Slingshot, but I didn't encounter any problems when I ran an asymmetric Sumitomo HTR ZIII on the rear of my Slingshot several years ago.

from all the research and everything, 315 is the widest i can put on the 10.5 rim, but with it being 22 i want more sidewall. and 30 is the best i can tell without hitting the swingarm. This is probably something that will get moved to the right and have to wait until i am forced into a new shoe. for now, i have some tread left to burn off. Thanks for the advice it is truly appreciated.

• Also try http://www.willtheyfit.com. It allows you enter your stock or current tire/wheel specs along with a prospective new size and will provide a graphical depiction of any changes such as diameter, width, or changes due to a new wheel with different offset. The only thing I don't like on the site are its speedo calculations since it shows a bigger tire as having a slower speed, but a larger tire rolling at the same engine speed will cover a larger distance resulting in a higher speed, not lower. The practical impact is you will be traveling at a higher speed than your speedometer indicates and a smaller tire will mean you're traveling at a slower speed than your speedometer indicates.

Here are some other useful tire/wheel links -

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Backspace-Offset-Calculator.html

https://www.blocklayer.com/tire-size-calculator.aspx

https://circuitperformance.com…rmance-hub-centric-rings/

https://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• so. SoCal - you have to open the bags to remove them from the racks? I love the way this mod looks, a much cleaner look than bungee cords, but seems like it could be a bit of a pain if you have to open the bags and dig through the packed cloths to spin off and on the knobs every time you take the bags off and on.

I am assuming that when you are traveling the bags come off the sling and go into the room at night wherever you are staying, obviously if they dont then this is a non issue - - perhaps put the contents of the bags in another bag so that the outer bags stay on the sling and the inner bag and its contents get taken in the room???

like I said - love the looks of this, very clean look, but as much as you guys travel seems like it could get annoying mounting and un mounting the bags all the time - - - could the bolts be flipped so that the spin off knobs where on the outside where you could just spin them off and grab the bag, bolts and all and take it it the room??

Ed thank you! These bags are our “never come off the sling” bags unless we go on a long trip and I put the other rack system and larger bags on. Even when we do do one or two overnighters these bags never leave the sling as they carry all the extra stuff like gloves hats sunscreen you name it. We use the compartment behind my wife’s seat for the overnight bag and the one behind me for the sling cover. As I said in a long ago post I put these on for a tour and liked them so much never took them off. They epitomize the word convenience and are so handy.

The only time these will come off is if the bigger ones go on. The plastic knobs that hold the nuts that keep them on are just for convenience. 😎

PS and I know I get some snickers however the top face of both sets of brackets that I have for the big bags and the small bags are covered with the soft side of Velcro. I would be willing to bet that I could just place the bag on top of the shelf and never worry about it again as the Velcro keeps the bag there no matter what. Just like everybody else we all have our own way of doing things🙂

• Ed thank you! These bags are our “never come off the sling” bags unless we go on a long trip and I put the other rack system and larger bags on. Even when we do do one or two overnighters these bags never leave the sling as they carry all the extra stuff like gloves hats sunscreen you name it. We use the compartment behind my wife’s seat for the overnight bag and the one behind me for the sling cover. As I said in a long ago post I put these on for a tour and liked them so much never took them off. They epitomize the word convenience and are so handy.

The only time these will come off is if the bigger ones go on. The plastic knobs that hold the nuts that keep them on are just for convenience. 😎

PS and I know I get some snickers however the top face of both sets of brackets that I have for the big bags and the small bags are covered with the soft side of Velcro. I would be willing to bet that I could just place the bag on top of the shelf and never worry about it again as the Velcro keeps the bag there no matter what. Just like everybody else we all have our own way of doing things🙂

SoCal - thanks makes perfect sense - like I said, I love the clean look and if the bags are not being removed regular your mounting solution is perfect :thumbup::thumbup:

As a side note, considering the fact that my set of MeanSling bags have never even been mounted on the hoops I am probably the last person qualified to be discussing roll hoop bags =O=O

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• As a side note, considering the fact that my set of MeanSling bags have never even been mounted on the hoops I am probably the last person qualified to be discussing roll hoop bags”

Edward Neal Naaaa everybody does something to their sling that some like and some don’t. But when you get honest critique you can learn and perhaps be better for it on the next mod. Appreciate all comments!🙂

• I purchased a pair of meansling roll bags also. They were great for their purpose, waterproof and attached easy to the roll hoops. I didn't use them much only because they didn't hold their shape. I like and use the roll bags that hold shape for purpose and style. I like the desperado look roll bags give. I think they complement the slingshot, and work great for most trips lasting a few days.