What was today's Sling project-Mods , goodies....?

• I’m finished! All that’s left is to give the old girl a bath tomorrow! Here’s a couple of teasers. Could not be happier with how things worked out. Both bags are only about 3 inches taller than the rollbars 😎

both bags fit perfect on the dolly!

Full tarp and dolly with room to spare behind my seat🙂

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Your set for cross country action!

• SoCal what supports those bags? What’s the name of those bags?

These are the bags I chose from Viking. I figured if I was going to do it I might as well have a set that can hold a considerable amount. In order to get the large bag I had to order the ones with the top part as well but I don’t need them and won’t use them.

for those interested I can post how I made my bracket later however even though I did make them myself I used the idea of a hinge and shape from other manufacturers and just put my stink on it. everything is made out of 3/16 inch aluminum. The driver side swivels out for access to the gas tank.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Well its not exactly a mod, but it is Slingshot related. I know that many here don't like wearing a helmet, but here in California it is required, yes I know that many times I could probably get away with not wearing one, but I actually dont mind and depending on the weather I actually like the added warmth to my face and ears. Normally in the warmer months I use a Daytona 1/2 helmet and then when the weather turns colder I switch to a Bell Vortex full helmet, unfortunately there are times (like now) when I want the warmth of the full helmet on my morning rides into work, but I find it uncomfortable for my afternoon rides home - as such I decided to add a third option that I expect might come close to replacing the full helmet except when it is really cold - Yep, decided to go full retro and get myself a 3/4 helmet like I used back in the early 70's - ordered myself this Daytona Cruiser and it should be arriving today or tomorrow.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have always despised wearing a helmet - still use this one when I have to go over the line into Tennessee….

Doesn't weigh but bout a pound - DOT sticker $1.95 and I feel so much safer when I have it on :00008172:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I have always despised wearing a helmet - still use this one when I have to go over the line into Tennessee….

Doesn't weigh but bout a pound - DOT sticker $1.95 and I feel so much safer when I have it on :00008172:

actually Daytona makes a true DOT helmet that looks very much like that - minus the CF - Daytona hawk

As a side note some time back I ordered one of Daytonas novelty helmets, I was thinking that like you I could slap a DOT sticker on it and it would be lighter and more comfortable than my real Daytona DOT 1/2 helmet - when it arrived I tried it on and found it was actually not nearly as comfortable - ended up sending it back the same day

For those that want an even lighter helmet, get yourself a bicycle helmet. The lawman most times does not see the difference driving down the road. Yes, I have one for the helmet law states. Another thing is that I always have a ball cap on my head and now for six years I have rode without a helmet and I have not been pulled over. Alabama - Georgia - North Carolina - Tennessee - Virginia - Florida - South Carolina does not have a helmet law for over 21 That would be 129,000 miles.

• For those that want an even lighter helmet, get yourself a bicycle helmet. The lawman most times does not see the difference driving down the road. Yes, I have one for the helmet law states. Another thing is that I always have a ball cap on my head and now for six years I have rode without a helmet and I have not been pulled over. Alabama - Georgia - North Carolina - Tennessee - Virginia - Florida - South Carolina does not have a helmet law for over 21 That would be 129,000 miles.

I used to roll the dice also in TN until the State PoPo gave me a warning - $280 per person ticket - they ain’t playin there

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• For those that want an even lighter helmet, get yourself a bicycle helmet. The lawman most times does not see the difference driving down the road. Yes, I have one for the helmet law states. Another thing is that I always have a ball cap on my head and now for six years I have rode without a helmet and I have not been pulled over. Alabama - Georgia - North Carolina - Tennessee - Virginia - Florida - South Carolina does not have a helmet law for over 21 That would be 129,000 miles.

I actually find this to be kind of funny - - as much as some people dislike helmets I feel the same about ball caps - in all my years I can probably count the times I have worn a ball cap on my fingers with the only real exception being when it was required for little league when I was a kid - - - just don't like hats and I think they kill hair.

Damn, I guess this is another thing we disagree on - Bummer! 8o

• Yeah, I'm one of those people who believe that a helmet in the SS without a HANS device is MORE dangerous than no helmet. This is not just my opinion - this is from actual real world experience with my 1st SS crash. I adamantly believe that I would have been killed if I had worn a helmet in that crash. The Board of Surgeons agree with me.

I am not saying don't wear a helmet in the SS - just make sure you have some sort of HANS with it.

• Well its not exactly a mod, but it is Slingshot related. I know that many here don't like wearing a helmet, but here in California it is required, yes I know that many times I could probably get away with not wearing one, but I actually dont mind and depending on the weather I actually like the added warmth to my face and ears. Normally in the warmer months I use a Daytona 1/2 helmet and then when the weather turns colder I switch to a Bell Vortex full helmet, unfortunately there are times (like now) when I want the warmth of the full helmet on my morning rides into work, but I find it uncomfortable for my afternoon rides home - as such I decided to add a third option that I expect might come close to replacing the full helmet except when it is really cold - Yep, decided to go full retro and get myself a 3/4 helmet like I used back in the early 70's - ordered myself this Daytona Cruiser and it should be arriving today or tomorrow.

Jersey requires a helmet also. I have two Daytona 3/4 helmets. I love them as they have a small profile. Only brand I have found that doesn't make you look like kazoo and is still DOT legal. I also have a half helmet and a full helmet depending on the weather.

th?id=OIP.AxJZJfIYnfgcQEYPnrm-tQHaFX&pid=Api

• Jersey requires a helmet also. I have two Daytona 3/4 helmets. I love them as they have a small profile. Only brand I have found that doesn't make you look like kazoo and is still DOT legal. I also have a half helmet and a full helmet depending on the weather.

th?id=OIP.AxJZJfIYnfgcQEYPnrm-tQHaFX&pid=Api

The one thing I like about the Daytona 1/2 helmet that I have is that it is one of the very few helmets I have found that is shaped perfectly for my head, some of the other helmets I have tried seem to be for a rounder head and to fit me properly front to back I need a larger size and this means there are gaps on the sides of my head - - - I haven't tried their 3/4 helmet before, but I am hoping the sizing and shape is the same as their 1/2 helmet

• Yeah, I'm one of those people who believe that a helmet in the SS without a HANS device is MORE dangerous than no helmet. This is not just my opinion - this is from actual real world experience with my 1st SS crash. I adamantly believe that I would have been killed if I had worn a helmet in that crash. The Board of Surgeons agree with me.

I am not saying don't wear a helmet in the SS - just make sure you have some sort of HANS with it.

Interesting point. There are many scenarios. On a motorcycle you aren't wearing a seatbelt. Slingshot you are. Dynamics change.

Personally I think you are correct, but only partially, if you are wearing shoulder belts and have a heavy helmet, yes your head could snap forward and could break your neck and a HANS device could be essential, but if you only wear a lap belt, then your whole upper body would move forward and the neck would be less likely to snap also in an accident where the impact came from the rear or side having a helmet would also probably not be a problem - - - for me in my slingshot with my minimal double bubble windshields having a helmet is much more about protection from debris either thrown up in an accident or just road debris

In the past on several occasions I have had road debris kicked up at me from vehicles in front of me on the highway, over the years I have had a lug nut come through a windshield, an 14 inch piece of a 2x4 logged in a front windshield and an entire 4 x 8 foot sheet of dry wall slam across the front of my car and windshield - - most of these things would be devastating if they hit me in the head without a helmet in my slingshot - - -

Seriously, I personally think I would have to be a fool to get on a freeway or highway without a helmet - there is just so much crap on the road that can be turned into a projectile this why with my open face helmets I also always wear ballistic rated eye protection

As a side note, as we all know Dale Earnhardt died and probably wouldn't have if he had had a HANS device, but how many huge high speed wrecks were there in professional racing before that point in time without HANS devices where the driver walked away? Also Dale was going around 160 MPH when his car hit that wall which is much faster than any of us would ever be in a wreck driving our slingshots and on top of that his lap belt broke because it was supposedly improperly installed

Considering this I highly suspect that the odds of being killed or crippled by your helmet because you didnt have a HANS device whale riding in your Slingshot are many many times lower than the odds of being killed or crippled because you didn't have a helmet

But, just to be clear this is my view only and it is what I feel comfortable with in my slingshot with my very low double bubble windshield - I am in no way trying to tell anyone else they should or should not wear a helmet and we all have different setups and some have very high and protective windshields and we all have different comfort levels - personally I would love to be in a state where this was 100% optional as much as I like my helmets I hate that the State thinks that I am not smart enough do decide for myself.

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• Ball caps are a item of formal attire where I live. I do remove mine when dining in but even in fine dining spots you will see some guy or gal wearing theirs. My dad would have beat my butt if I had ever came to the kitchen table with mine on but then that was in Iowa and 65 years ago. I do have two Polaris ball caps that match my ride but don't like how they fit.

If the music is to loud you are to old.