Black Friday Sales

• I've had Samsung flat-screens (plasma and LCD styles) and now have a Vizio. OLED TVs (Samsung calls their equivalent QLED, other manufacturers may use slightly different terminology) are now considered to have the best picture since they basically provide a backlight for every spot on the screen. Older LED TVs use edge lighting which means the portions of the screen farther away from the edge of the TV will have weaker black and/or colors compared to the edges.. TVs that split the screen into as many backlighting areas as possible will offer improved blacks and colors compared to edge-lit TVs, but OLED/QLED/... TVs will have the best picture/color qualities.

Vizio had been the low-price value leader for several years, but TCL has recently started offering TVs that rival the better brands. I currently use a TCL 43" TV as my computer monitor offering me a 3940 x 2160 display, giving me much better display quality than I ever had using dual monitor systems. TCL's newer 6- and 8-series TVs offer outstanding performance at lower prices. For example, TCL offers their 65" 6-series with performance approaching QLED levels at $800 and their top-of-the-line 8-series QLED TV at $2000, but many sellers offer them for much less. If I were to replace my older Vizio 80" 1920x1080 TV (original cost just under $3K at CostCO) now, my primary choice would be a 75" TCL 6-series 4K TV for around $1300.

TCL bases their TV software on ROKU and some reviewers have reported a few problems involving certain sound setups, but their TVs are still rated highly. Here's a link to recent TCL reviews for 6-series TVs and below - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl and here's a link to all current and future TVs coming from TCL - https://www.techradar.com/news/tcl-tv-catalog-2019.

I really love my TCL 43S517 TV I'm using as my PC monitor and it's now available under $300. I simply made sure my video card supported 4K HDMI output and it's performed very well.

Just saw a Walmart BF ad for a Philips 65" Class 4K Android Smart TV (Model #65PFL5504/F7) for $278! Don't know the specs, but the price sure seems appealing.

Edited 2 times, last by BKL ().

• Yep, well I bit the bullet. There is a HUGE disparity in pricing vs features/quality vs brands and it all just hurt my head. I ended up going with a Samsung Q70R 65" QLED from Best Buy with added warranty. It was still within my budget and I could clearly see a difference from the 8 series that I originally planned on. Mind you, the 8 series is a GREAT TV. I just had a little more in the budget so moved up from there. There were even better TVs (Samsung Q90 series, Sony A8G series, etc) but I figured the Q70 was enough of a step up without getting too crazy on the price. Yes, I could have bought MUCH less expensive TVs, but I did see a big difference from a friend who also bought a budget 70" TV just a couple days ago.

• Guess I shouldn't post that I just saw where Walmart dropped the price from $798 to $478 on - Samsung 65-inch Class 4K UHD LED Smart TV thru Dec 2, while supplies last. It's not a QLED, but has good reviews.

TVs are a clear case where size does matter. Several years ago, I was going to buy a 70" Vizio TV to upgrade our 55" TV, but my Wife told me I wouldn't be happy unless I bought the 80" Vizio at a much higher price than I had originally intended, hoping I wouldn't buy anythign at all. Her move backfired and I bought the 80" after comparing it next to a 55" TV which looked VERY small next to the 80". Now we've gotten used to the 80" screen, dropping down much in size doesn't seem acceptable. The way prices and features have dropped, I now think the sweet spot for our replacement TV will be 75". We were just barely able to fit the 80" TV and the 75" is still appreciably less expensive than the same features in an 80" TV and will fill the space nicely. I doubt we will upgrade again until the 80" TV finally gives up the ghost, though.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Yeah, I agree with the size. But unfortunately, I did measure and a 75" would have exactly filled the spot I need to put it (above the fireplace) that I wouldn't even have been able to put a sound bar there. That's why I stayed with the 65" but upgraded the screen instead. Hopefully this TV will last a while.

The previous 45" TV is about 8 yrs old now and is having some problems. 2 of the 3 HDMI ports have died and it randomly resets (turns off and back on again) a lot. This TV is going outside on the patio to become the out side TV. I'm buying a cover for it off Amazon so that it can stay outside. (It will be out of the rain, but still humidity/dust/etc will still wreck havoc on the TV.)

• Yeah, I agree with the size. But unfortunately, I did measure and a 75" would have exactly filled the spot I need to put it (above the fireplace) that I wouldn't even have been able to put a sound bar there. That's why I stayed with the 65" but upgraded the screen instead. Hopefully this TV will last a while.

The previous 45" TV is about 8 yrs old now and is having some problems. 2 of the 3 HDMI ports have died and it randomly resets (turns off and back on again) a lot. This TV is going outside on the patio to become the out side TV. I'm buying a cover for it off Amazon so that it can stay outside. (It will be out of the rain, but still humidity/dust/etc will still wreck havoc on the TV.)

I know what you mean about fit. If we upgraded to an 82" TV, we'd lose access to the primary outlet we use to run a fan my Wife uses to help her sleep and/or the vacuum cleaner. A 75" will give us a little more room around the TV. It would like using a mat around a photo.

• In case any of you are looking for an early Black Friday deal, we have our billet hood hinge extension kit at 30% off today! No need for a shock assist with this kit. We redesigned both brackets so it opens like it did originally but opens further. It also has adjustable set screws so you can choose how much you want it to open. You can check them out here https://zzperformance.com/coll…hot-billet-hood-hinge-kit

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• In case any of you are looking for an early Black Friday deal, we have our billet hood hinge extension kit at 30% off today! No need for a shock assist with this kit. We redesigned both brackets so it opens like it did originally but opens further. It also has adjustable set screws so you can choose how much you want it to open. You can check them out here https://zzperformance.com/coll…hot-billet-hood-hinge-kit

Quick question. Your description shows gloss black as an option but it's not available as a color selection. Is black an available choice?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Quick question. Your description shows gloss black as an option but it's not available as a color selection. Is black an available choice?

We actually did away with that option as we felt it looked so close to factory parts but I can make a set in gloss black for you if you would like. It will just take a bit of extra time for me to run off a raw set in the CNC mill and powder coat them. But I can make that happen.

• We actually did away with that option as we felt it looked so close to factory parts but I can make a set in gloss black for you if you would like. It will just take a bit of extra time for me to run off a raw set in the CNC mill and powder coat them. But I can make that happen.

Well they are awful pretty. I can get them powder coated with a batch of my parts as well. Maybe I should see a set installed before deciding. Any pics and as Red asked, install instructions/video? Based on other's reports, I'm a little concerned about my ability to realign the hood.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Here are some pics. These are in the titanium matte. The first pic with the hood open is roughly the stock opening. The 2nd pic is fully extended. Makes working on the sling a LOT less tiresome on your lower back.

• I'm a little concerned about my ability to realign the hood.

The easiest way to align the hood is to get everything on and snug but still movable. Set the hood down and lock it in, then tighten everything. You can then re-mark the hinges and frame if you want for future alignments but in my experience getting everything on and then tightening everything is an easy way to let it self align.