The Truth About Natural Power - A Look At What Makes Power and How Much

• Well... since I already have a CAI on my 2019 SLR, I think all I need is the header/exhaust package and the tune - about $900. I think I can swing that, as long as I do it in two pieces. I hope to do header and exhaust this summer and the tune next winter when Ruby is in the garage and the down time won't be problematical.

The guy changed his mind and is now getting a turbo kit. I'll sell you the intake, head/muffler package, and tune for $1000. I'll even send you a tuned PCM so you have no down time. There will be a $250 refundable core charge that you will get back once I get your old PCM back. So up front would be $1250 with $250 of that being returned to you once I get your core back. That would give you a full ZZP system for only $100 more than you were originally planning on spending for just the exhaust package and tune. And then you can sell the CAI you have to recoup even more. Food for thought. Let me know if you're interested.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• The guy changed his mind and is now getting a turbo kit. I'll sell you the intake, head/muffler package, and tune for $1000. I'll even send you a tuned PCM so you have no down time. There will be a $250 refundable core charge that you will get back once I get your old PCM back. So up front would be $1250 with $250 of that being returned to you once I get your core back. That would give you a full ZZP system for only $100 more than you were originally planning on spending for just the exhaust package and tune. And then you can sell the CAI you have to recoup even more. Food for thought. Let me know if you're interested.

Now that is a deal and customer service. You had better get it while it is there

• The guy changed his mind and is now getting a turbo kit. I'll sell you the intake, head/muffler package, and tune for $1000. I'll even send you a tuned PCM so you have no down time. There will be a $250 refundable core charge that you will get back once I get your old PCM back. So up front would be $1250 with $250 of that being returned to you once I get your core back. That would give you a full ZZP system for only $100 more than you were originally planning on spending for just the exhaust package and tune. And then you can sell the CAI you have to recoup even more. Food for thought. Let me know if you're interested.

Okay Kyle, I'm gonna have to book a couple extra gigs this summer to pay for this! I do astronomy shows over the summer to support my hobbies - looks like every dime is gonna go to the Slingshot this year! I'll probably have enough by mid-July, and that's if I'm really good and don't spend anything on other stuff!

Just one question, if I already have the stock cold air intake, will yours do anything different performance or sound wise from the stock equipment?

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Just one question, if I already have the stock cold air intake, will yours do anything different performance or sound wise from the stock equipment?

When we did testing on the stock intake we found that the SLR intake from Polaris flowed less air than the stock air box that was on my 2015 SL and even less than our ZZP intake. This translates into our intake flowing more air creating better throttle response, better mid range punch, overall drive-ability, and albeit a small amount, more power. It also sounds throatier. You can hear the sound difference here with the intake and headers on. You can also hear the intake sucking in air where it does not on the SLR intake.

• You should go for it Doc&Ruby ! I’ll help you with the install. I gave away my SLR intake.

You're the best, dangerdarrell !

I'm going to order the header and exhaust, just have to save a little bit more... can't take money out of regular cash flow, my wife wouldn't stand for it!

I'd love to do the package, but the tune will have to wait a bit - I'm working some extra jobs over the summer for that.

Don't think I'm going to replace the stock CAI, don't think it would make a significant difference. I will replace the filter with a K&N, that should get me 99% there.

I'll let you know when I order the parts - I'd like to do the installation in early June - the Captain will be out of town for a week! :thumbsup:

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Maybe clarifying the below two questions/points will help a lot of people out in this thread. It would be a bummer to see so much wasted effort on education if these certain details aren't addressed...

Why should you dyno a vehicle in the 1-1 gear, and what happens to dyno power readings when you vary from this?

What is the difference between Open Loop and Closed Loop tuning and how does the vehicles O2 sensor work to build fuel tables, timing, etc., etc.?

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Maybe clarifying the below two questions/points will help a lot of people out in this thread. It would be a bummer to see so much wasted effort on education if these certain details aren't addressed...

Why should you dyno a vehicle in the 1-1 gear, and what happens to dyno power readings when you vary from this?

What is the difference between Open Loop and Closed Loop tuning and how does the vehicles O2 sensor work to build fuel tables, timing, etc., etc.?

The 1:1 gear idea comes from minimizing power loss through the transmission, that is all. This theoretically would give you the highest numbers, although there are other factors involved. In the cobalt world, I do not see much difference between 3rd and 4th gear pulls, aside from the intake temps climbing a little more in 4th (more time in boost, more heat in the intercooler). Sometimes you simply CAN'T use the 1:1 gear, due to traction or top end MPH. All dynos have a speed limit somewhere.

Almost all stock style automotive ECUs only use closed loop for low load driving, when the ECU is commanding stoich (14.7afr on gas, 1.0 lambda). The common narrowband O2 sensor can only tell if you're above or below stoich, but not the actual lambda reading. This is where fuel trims come in. Basically the ECU says "hey we're over stoich, better add a few % fuel. Ok now we're under stoich, better pull a few %" and the cycle continues.

WOT fueling is almost ALWAYS open loop, aside from a select few oem PCMs and most aftermarket standalone stuff. It's all pre-programmed numbers determining how much fuel is injected and when. This just means that you don't have any live feedack from the ECU, so you have to monitor the exhaust with a wideband O2 sensor and then make adjustments to the pre-programmed numbers after the pull is done.
    You CAN force the ECU to run open loop all of the time while tuning, and use your wideband feedback for adjusting the idle/cruise fueling, and this is a pretty common thing. However, for me personally, it is a lot more efficient to leave closed loop active when tuning. Once you learn an ECU/software combo, it's pretty easy to blend your open and closed loop adjustments together.

• I personally think the comparisons would make a lot more sense, if you were to dyno Slingshots in 4th gear (1-1) like everyone else does. This would help validate power increases in the same relationship of others that have reported findings earlier.

I don't agree with some of the ecm/tuning statements, but this is your thread. Very curious to see how your NA tunes perform.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Kyle D I must say... Being in Business Development and Sales my entire life, Your words, comments, and the way you handled each questions/response gave me enough insight to fully trust your guidance and opinions.

I just recently purchased my 2nd slingshot and while the 1st was NA, I planned on going boosted with this one.

You just got my business and want to discuss the process of getting your turbo set up.

What is the best way to contact you for further details on going boosted?

• Are you going to make it Huntsville? Kyle will be there.

Hope you can, it would be nice to finally meet up.

• Unfortunately I won't be able to make it... I am in the middle of peak season for my industry and will be unable to get away during these next 5 hectic months to truly enjoy a getaway.

1 day though... I will schedule a vacation for an event and be able to FINALLY put REAL faces to names. Looking forward to sharing some drinks (and apple juice ^^ for the non drinkers) and cigars with some of you.

• Mateo the best way to get a hold of me is to email me directly at Kyle@zzperformance.com I'm in and out of the office constantly so email is best which also allows me to respond while on the go and after regular business hours. LET'S GET YOUR SLING BOOSTED!!!

• Mateo;

Just let me say you won't be disappointed in the experience that ZZPERFORMANCE provides, Kyle is a great person to deal with and always goes above and beyond with a true passion for the slingshot, as far as their product it will speak for itself, it is very well engineered and does exactly what they say it will.

On another note what is the chances of getting a group buy on a stock pile of rear tires for our slingshots?

• On another note what is the chances of getting a group buy on a stock pile of rear tires for our slingshots?

LOL man if you can find one let me know!!!!! I'll go in also!!!! We need to find a company that will sponsor a Slingshot burnout contest and just deliver a semi trailer full of tires. I've been trying to get Micky Thompson to give me tires for a couple years. I'm not sure why but apparently, Slingshot 1/2 mile racing and rolling burnouts aren't high on their list for support. LOL