Non optima batteries

• Sorry, I wasn't clear, of the batteries that Interstate does make in AGM, none will easily fit the SS. https://www.interstatebatterie…r-and-truck-batteries/mtx

Do you have an interstate AGM on your SS? How much clearance do you have and do you have a rear exhaust going near the battery?

Thanks!

I have a Welter dual and a group (25 or 26 it was a while ago I bought it) battery, as far as your other question.... Read the post you quoted.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• If one were to do a bit of research of vehicular batteries, they would find that most are manufactured by a very limited number of major manufacturers, check out Johnson Controls for one.

Bill

Interstate used to have real good batteries.....I’ve been told since they stared making them in Mexico....not so much...

Most of the companies were bought up or closed...probably has something to do with lead and toxic chemicals.....could be why they moved to Mexico ....looser restrictions ...

I know hauling acid whether it’s clean or dirty costs the same per gallon to transport...

• I bought my optima from Reilly’s for $179.
    I put it in my v8 sling and it’s a great battery.

I put an optima in my 4 cyl. That I bought from amazon.
    I had lots of led lights on it and ran it down many times from crappy wiring and cheap led shorting out.
    After 2 1/2 years it finally quit charging good so I called amazon.
    They credited my card for full refund and said keep the battery.
    I bought another optima from the interstate dealer down the road but paid more for it. I am still running both optima batteries.

Big Dog would have bad luck if he ordered an anvil so take some posts lightly.

Ordering from amazon was easy Peasy and the stood behind it.
    I just didn’t want to wait a week for a new one so I paid more from interstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• here is an AGM battery they say fits a 2015 slingshot Wicked Start AGM

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• and for BigDog here is an AGM with 600+ CCA that is the standard motorcycle size for a 2016 MX30L AGM battery 600+ CCA

• So my cabbage patch battery in my '16.5 just took a dump as well. Bought it new in July of '17 so less than 2 years' use out of it. I'd already decided to go to a group 26 when it died. I have enough motorcycle/quad batteries to know what expect from them - a short life. After reading through this thread, it looks like neither of the battery boxes available work with a non-Optima battery so, like wokka , I may be making my own. Two questions: 1) Is there another battery box I'm not aware of that will work with a group 26 or 34 battery? and 2) If I manufactured and powder coated a battery box to convert the 16.5/17/18/19 model years to a group 26 or 34 battery, would others be interested in buying it?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• YES! Assuming you don't go all sparkling and adding LEDs that jack the price up to over $100. For me, the existing battery boxes are a bit overpriced. It's metal and powder coating. I could fabricate it myself in a weekend with my limited skills and then either pay to get it coated or leave it bare aluminum.

I don't mind paying for a bit of the R&D, but that cost should be shared out over a group of projected sales and in my mind, they are just overpriced.

I know, I know, the SS is a niche market and it's not going to be a LOT of sales, but to me, some of the products are just too much of a mark up and they are gouging us.

Just my $0.03 worth (yes, inflation)

• So my cabbage patch battery in my '16.5 just took a dump as well. Bought it new in July of '17 so less than 2 years' use out of it. I'd already decided to go to a group 26 when it died. I have enough motorcycle/quad batteries to know what expect from them - a short life. After reading through this thread, it looks like neither of the battery boxes available work with a non-Optima battery so, like wokka , I may be making my own. Two questions: 1) Is there another battery box I'm not aware of that will work with a group 26 or 34 battery? and 2) If I manufactured and powder coated a battery box to convert the 16.5/17/18/19 model years to a group 26 or 34 battery, would others be interested in buying it?

I think a battery box that was not specific to the optima would be a great option.

• Any brand new battery is a good one....and you just proved my point about the optima not lasting for the entire warranty...

• Any brand new battery is a good one....and you just proved my point about the optima not lasting for the entire warranty...

having a battery that doesnt last the warranty isnt necessarily a bad thing. My brother in law has a 1995 hummer - the big military one with a diesel motor. It uses 2 batteries and it he has to replace them almost every two years. It seems like every time they go bad he gets new ones for free because they are still fully under the warranty - He jokes about it every time, thinks it is great

to me it would be worse to have a battery that lasts until just after the warranty ends

• Here is a non optima battery tray .....

A regular battery will fit on the optima tray but you’ll need to slightly modify the hold down plate....because it’s cut to fit the curves...just cut it straight across.

• having a battery that doesnt last the warranty isnt necessarily a bad thing. My brother in law has a 1995 hummer - the big military one with a diesel motor. It uses 2 batteries and it he has to replace them almost every two years. It seems like every time they go bad he gets new ones for free because they are still fully under the warranty - He jokes about it every time, thinks it is great

to me it would be worse to have a battery that lasts until just after the warranty ends

Usually they want to pro-rate it and you still end up paying almost full price....

• Here is a non optima battery tray .....

A regular battery will fit on the optima tray but you’ll need to slightly modify the hold down plate....because it’s cut to fit the curves...just cut it straight across.

Well, specifically the one from TD isn't that tall, because the Optima height measurement is from the top of the posts, but the Optima isn't that tall, it's flat across the base of the posts. The TD mount utilizes this and says you may have a 1/2 an inch of play room to put a slightly taller battery in, but can't guarantee it.

One other mount that I found didn't have any height measurements and this one is 1 inch taller than the TD at 7 13/16", so may work.

• Specific to the Battery Group size 25 - 26 -34

I'd add 24 in there (it's almost the same size as the 34), 42, 47 and 90 (these last three are smaller than the 34)

SlingLow we can collaborate on a design if you like, unless you just have something in mind already. I can muddle together a design and perhaps you can make it better and market it :)