Non optima batteries

• With all this talk about S/S batteries the most crucial thing Not mentioned about them is, Can you get them in designer colors .

Black is too boring and yellow is too Nancy...;)...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Over 200 posts about a battery. One person has posted 43 times about a battery. Lol. Let’s beat this horse some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OKY DOKY, I will oblige, it is my understanding that the battery is located where it is on the SlingShot at least partially for CG concerns, what would be the effect if the battery was located more forward in the engine compartment?

How is that?

Bill

• Over 200 posts about a battery. One person has posted 43 times about a battery. Lol. Let’s beat this horse some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You took time to actually count the number of posts per person? 8|

OKY DOKY, I will oblige, it is my understanding that the battery is located where it is on the SlingShot at least partially for CG concerns, what would be the effect if the battery, (especially a full sized battery), was located more forward in the engine compartment?

How is that?

Bill

• If you really want to improve traction what you should do is every 20 miles fill the gas tank right to the very top...So you will always have approximately 54 to 60 pounds of weight at all times for traction on the rear end..;)...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• I did some digging...

The 2011 Chevy HHR and Malibu both have 2.4 motors....interstate suggests this battery for both vehicles..... however interstate uses a different “group” identification system which I have asked them to clarify.....

• Old school rule of thumb for battery size: CCA=engine CI or better.

Bill

I have never heard of that one. 327 -350 cubic inch Chev. always better that 550 CCA. You would get by with 350 CCA in cold weather. I always used the 750 CCA I have messed with old cars and motorcycles pretty much all of my life. 72 years old in a few days. The only thing I have never done is transmissions and rear ends

• Old school rule of thumb for battery size: CCA=engine CI or better.

Bill

Here is an interesting write up that talks about this - Battery Size

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I just got a reply from interstate and their group number designations. This was my first question to them.

Comments: My vehicle says the battery is a group 26. (Owners manual)

Your group sizes are listed differently. Ex. T5, H6

So where is the comparison chart? And what exactly determines what the group size is? Based on measurements or CCA or what? Thanks.  

She replied with ....

The group sizes are Battery Industry standards.

I have attached the link to the BCI group numbers and dimensions.

This should provide the information you need.

Deb

and this link

http://www.evdl.org/pages/bcigroup.html

Which was posted here before.

So I asked her....

Deb, so basically did Interstate just make up their own group numbers? How did they come up with their group numbers. Do they have their own chart? Is that chart you linked the industry standard chart?

She came back with this....

“They are INDUSTRY Group numbers.

The batteries like T5 or H6 are the European models, again, INDUSTRY standards.

If I understood what you are trying to ask, I would be more than happy to answer the question more specifically.”

So there you have it. It looks like since interstate uses goofy group numbers you have to match up the battery dimensions to find one that fits.,.

So the one in the picture could work ....and it had a pretty good warranty. 3 years full replacement and 3 years prorated. (6 years)

• Here ya go battery whisperers. The battery on the left is a Polaris spec'd battery for a Slingshot/2384cc 4-cyl engine. The battery on the right is a Polaris spec'd battery for a Sportsman 700/683cc 2-cyl engine. Exact same size and the quad battery fit the Sling with one minor hacksaw mod to the tie down bracket for a vent tube. I'm now running the Sling on a quad battery until I build a tray and put in a group 24. Polaris engineering-you figure it out!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Here ya go battery whisperers. The battery on the left is a Polaris spec'd battery for a Slingshot/2384cc 4-cyl engine. The battery on the right is a Polaris spec'd battery for a Sportsman 700/683cc 2-cyl engine. Exact same size and the quad battery fit the Sling with one minor hacksaw mod to the tie down bracket for a vent tube. I'm now running the Sling on a quad battery until I build a tray and put in a group 24. Polaris engineering-you figure it out!

Look what the group 26 Polaris battery fits...

Except slingshot....

• If you want to go really crazy here is a Lithium Ion battery that is a direct replacement for 2016 and later Slingshot batteries - Bikemaster DFLP 30L-BS

its a bit to costly for my taste, but if it actually lasts twice as long as they say then it might well be worth it

• 1987 Samurai uses a group 26

here is a link to a battery replacement book - this should help anyone who needs to find a car to cross reference when looking for batteries

2018 battery cross reference

looks like a bunch of the older Dodge products also use group 26

edit - also be careful, the 26 and 26R are the same size, but the positive terminal on the R is at the opposite end of the battery

Edited 3 times, last by Edward Neal ().