Dead Battery

• Everything was good on Saturday, decided to take a ride a few minutes ago and not enough voltage to crank. (10.2 volts) 2 month old Optima looks like something has changed since the ride Sat. It is on a 10 amp charge right now, hooked up at the alternator and fuse panel ground. We will see.

• Everything was good on Saturday, decided to take a ride a few minutes ago and not enough voltage to crank. (10.2 volts) 2 month old Optima looks like something has changed since the ride Sat. It is on a 10 amp charge right now, hooked up at the alternator and fuse panel ground. We will see.

I picked up one local Batteries + $135.88 out the door

If you leave it on 10 amps too long you might fry the battery

1 1/2 To 2 amps is best....But at 10.2 Volts that battery is gone anyway...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• If you leave it on 10 amps too long you might fry the battery

1 1/2 To 2 amps is best....But at 10.2 Volts that battery is gone anyway...

Oh! and by the way I have done electrical and electronics since 1966, by the way. It is Brand new battery, it is charged up now. Never had an Optima battery before but it is the same type battery that is my 2013 Harley, It had been sitting for a week. A lead acid would have never fell off like that. I have had lead acid sit for months with no problem. I have had batteries go a lot lower without a problem. I never run 10 amps over an hour anyway and beside on a lead acid if I remember correctly it helps clean the plates on an old battery.

• FunCycle I’m interested in what you find, I have a yellow top optima in my cart with the 2016 bracket and the charging port to order,, I’ve been told it’s the best battery to replace the motorcycle battery that is currently in our 2016 sling. I know you can get a bad battery just curious what you find out what caused it to basically die, being 2 months old..........

• I got this little goodie for Christmas. Vehicle battery tester, tests the battery, cranking ability and charging system of the vehicle . Works with flooded, AMG flat plate, AMG Spiral and Gel - - - reviews rate it very well and I think it will be a nice addition to my Slingshot tool box

i-xJ8zhpk-XL.jpg

a video of it

link to Amazon - Topdon AB101

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited 5 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• FunCycle I’m interested in what you find, I have a yellow top optima in my cart with the 2016 bracket and the charging port to order,, I’ve been told it’s the best battery to replace the motorcycle battery that is currently in our 2016 sling. I know you can get a bad battery just curious what you find out what caused it to basically die, being 2 months old..........

I have the Optima group 25 other than sitting for almost 2 weeks, right now I have no idea. It did crank up Sat. and I put about 25 miles on it. The lead acid battery has sit a lot longer with no problems.

• The battery is good, it just looks like the AGM battery does not hold a charge like the lead acid batteries do. I have gone as long as 2 months with the lead acid batteries and still cranked the car last year. Hell! I do not think I even ran 4 tanks out in the TA last year. Charged all night with a battery tender, took the charger off and the batter y dropped one volt to 12.68 volts and holding

• Cancel the last. I just tried to crank the Sling. Battery was reading 12.68 volts as soon as I turned he key on it dropped to 9.5 volts, so it does look like the battery is bad. Going back out now and pull the battery.

This is why I am glad I got that battery tester - may not use it much, but if it saves me putting in and then having to take back out a battery that will be nice - - -

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• OK! The battery is out. It is the same problem that I warned everyone about that are running the Welter Duals with the Group 34 Optima battery. The exhaust pipe melted the bottom corner of the battery all the way into the cell material. It is still reading 13.2 volts at the post, but I am reading about 2.2 volts across the battery at the melted out place. This battery is the 75-25 Optima and is 9 1/4 inch long. The 34 Optima battery is one inch longer, so if you are running either one of these batteries you had better loosen it up and pull the battery as far as you can to the outside of the battery holder or you will be having the same problem. That was a costly mistake because I did not pull the battery all the way to the outside cover before clamping it down.

• OK! The battery is out. It is the same problem that I warned everyone about that are running the Welter Duals with the Group 34 Optima battery. The exhaust pipe melted the bottom corner of the battery all the way into the cell material. It is still reading 13.2 volts at the post, but I am reading about 2.2 volts across the battery at the melted out place. This battery is the 75-25 Optima and is 9 1/4 inch long. The 34 Optima battery is one inch longer, so if you are running either one of these batteries you had better loosen it up and pull the battery as far as you can to the outside of the battery holder or you will be having the same problem. That was a costly mistake because I did not pull the battery all the way to the outside cover before clamping it down.

FunCycle thanks for the heads up on battery and exhaust system...

• OK! The battery is out. It is the same problem that I warned everyone about that are running the Welter Duals with the Group 34 Optima battery. The exhaust pipe melted the bottom corner of the battery all the way into the cell material.

Sounds like the Welters need a bit of heat shielding in that area.

I haven't even contemplated a new exhaust on mine, leave that for another year, I have higher priorities right now with mods.

• $226.37 mistake, new one will be here in the morning at 8 AM

Sounds like the Welters need a bit of heat shielding in that area.

I haven't even contemplated a new exhaust on mine, leave that for another year, I have higher priorities right now with mods.

Heat Shield is not going to do any good if the battery is up against the exhaust pipe. Even with the Group 25 battery pulled all the way to the outside against the cover you still, maybe have a little better than one inch of clearance. I am going to put a piece of alum. across the end of the battery and wrap the pipe.

• I didn't plan on an exhaust system either. Bought the side-exit. Had no plans for shocks. Got the JRI Grand Touring. Certainly didn't need a different windshield. Bought the F4+3. etc. etc. etc.

More seat time in more mods.... But the seat time gives you a better idea of what will work well for 'you'.