Stiff Steering

• So i finally received my quick disconnect for my steering wheel. the puller from slingmods did not work as advertised lol rig something up but still could not remove the wheel. but also the wheel looked rusted on the shaft, don't think they put any grease on the shaft prior to install. so i took a rubber mallet and was striking the wheel trying to loosen it up and hitting from the back also. I also tried pulling and rocking the wheel. So wheel could not come off so i installed the nut again, i drove it a few times and now the steering is way more stiff than it use to be. it use to be pretty loose to turn but noticed now it is stiff. I guess my question is with all my beating the wheel to try to get it off, have i damaged anything? I dont have any dash lights on thank goodness. any idea why it would be stiffer than what it was after i reinstalled the sterring nut and I didnt put the not on tight either. Thanks for any help

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• Over-tightening the nut holding the steering wheel or hub adapter to the shaft will often result in "tight" steering. Loosen the nut and retighten to spec using a torque wrench (75 lbs, IIRC). Should hopefully fix everything.
    I had trouble getting my steering wheel off the shaft when I went to replace it. I originally tried whacking the steering wheel with a heavy rubber hammer, but it was really stuck on the splines. See my Post # 40 here - Steering Wheel Puller.

• Over-tightening the nut holding the steering wheel or hub adapter to the shaft will often result in "tight" steering. Loosen the nut and retighten to spec using a torque wrench (75 lbs, IIRC). Should hopefully fix everything.
    I had trouble getting my steering wheel off the shaft when I went to replace it. I originally tried whacking the steering wheel with a heavy rubber hammer, but it was really stuck on the splines. See my Post # 40 here - Steering Wheel Puller.

Sorry BKL but I'm gonna disagree with that torque value, if I tightened up mine that much it would be very hard to steer. When I went in to have my clock spring replaced the mechanic probably put that kind of torque on it and it was hard as hell to steer on the way home. I ended up loosing the steering nut a quarter turn at a time and then used the steering wheel puller to pull the SW up to the nut till it was easy to steering.

• Okay so just went out a pulled the wheel off with no problem with the new puller easy as pie came off smooth. and this happen think something is broke. I am assuming this is the clock spring and if so think i can have it replaced under warranty?

:flag_United_States::BLACKSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SUPERCHARGERSS::COILOVERSS:

S O G Member - TRAKHAMR

• Okay so just went out a pulled the wheel off with no problem with the new puller easy as pie came off smooth. and this happen think something is broke. I am assuming this is the clock spring and if so think i can have it replaced under warranty?

Turn your steering wheel from side to side, if you can hear a clicking noise it's probably the clock spring.

I had two of those clock springs replaced under warranty. As I understand it, the only thing they do on Slings is make the horn work.

• @Trooper, not sure about your dealer but I just took my clockspring into my dealer and he ordered me a new one. Put the new one in myself when it came in. Told them to just turn in the labor to Polaris and keep the money. Did the same with my radio. They know I know what I’m doing and it will be done right. Plus I don’t have to leave it.

• Sorry BKL but I'm gonna disagree with that torque value, if I tightened up mine that much it would be very hard to steer. When I went in to have my clock spring replaced the mechanic probably put that kind of torque on it and it was hard as hell to steer on the way home. I ended up loosing the steering nut a quarter turn at a time and then used the steering wheel puller to pull the SW up to the nut till it was easy to steering.

I'm glad i qualified my guesstimate because I was WAY OFF,... SORRY!
    Here's the 2015-17 Service Manual page -

• I'm glad i qualified my guesstimate because I was WAY OFF,... SORRY!Here's the 2015-17 Service Manual page -

After what I have been through with getting my 2017 SLR to steer easy I don't think I'd even believe the service manual.

Undo the bolts in the bottom steering column cover and let it drop down a bit so you can have easy access to the clockspring. Take the clockspring out (1 or 2 screws) and see if you can snap it back together without kinking the ribbon cable. Sometimes it comes apart like that because the hole that the wire comes through on the stock steering wheel is a very good fit. Try plugging the wire back into the steering wheel and see if the horn still works after snapping the clockspring together.

• @Trooper I blew up my clockspring like you pulling my wheel back off without the puller since I sent it to someone else to wreck their clockspring with. :S The horn was blowing full time without the button attached so I know it's damaged. I just removed it completely and plan on installing a momentary switch on the side of the steering column for the horn. The wires that connect to the rear of the clockspring are right there and I've had issues getting the Momo horn button to work anyway. I don't think the dealer would replace mine under warranty since I cut off the larger unused plug on the front of it to get my hub adapter closer to the dash. I am taking my Sling into my dealer this morning for warranty work on a leaky angle drive seal and will ask them about it. Maybe they can get it replaced if I don't have to produce my old one but with an aftermarket steering wheel I don't expect it. However, I did leave a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey 'Medicine' on the tech's tool box for his 'ailing grandmother' after he worked on my wrecked Sling and assisted me in getting it totaled so you never know. I'll let you know what they say.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)