shine & protection

• I did a search, but didnt really find what I was looking for. Currently I am using Mothers products to keep my SL looking good, but I am wondering if I can do better. I would like to know what products you think get you the best shine and good protection for regular use on your Slingshot?

Thanks in advance for your help

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I was using Turtle Wax Ice. I liked the fact that if I missed a spot when wiping down the residue stayed fairly clear. I decided to try the F11 Top Coat. I think it does the better job and cleaning is very easy after application. It works on everything on the sling. The bugs just wipe off. This stuff is a little pricey.
    I was at a car and coffee gathering a couple weeks ago and a professional detail man said the paint on my sling looked really good and asked what I used. I told him I had been using the Top Coat. He told me he used the Ultima Waterless Wash. It was made by the same man that made the Top Coat and was a lot cheaper. I am going to order me some when my Top Coat runs out.
    Here is the Ultima at Amazon: _encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2J4CIV450DJCW&colid=29L5FWTV992FC

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• I did a search, but didnt really find what I was looking for. Currently I am using Mothers products to keep my SL looking good, but I am wondering if I can do better. I would like to know what products you think get you the best shine and good protection for regular use on your Slingshot?

Thanks in advance for your help

hi I use chemical guys products for years about the best I think.there an online store chemical guys .com

• Hey there Ed. The choices out there are mind-numbing, at best. And if you want to add to the confusion, ask a hundred different members on this forum, an you are sure to get a hundred different answers and recommendations. Truth be told, most of the products on the market today are pretty much the same. I know I will catch a lot of flack for saying that...but consider this comment is coming from someone who ran his own mobile detailing company for almost 11 years.

What is all boils down to is one thing...keeping the surface free and clear of abrasive grit and grime. Once you have that down, a low-alkaline wash would be in order. A non-abrasive drying cloth is essential. DO NOT USE A CHAMOIS AFTER EVERY WASH. Believe it or not, over time, this strips away protectants that are used during the painting process. One BIG thing to remember...never use wax!!!!!! Before the crowd gets into an uproar, allow me to explain. Wax compounds are just that...WAX!

For a demonstration, drip hot candle wax onto a mirror, and try to polish it off. If you are eventually successful, congratulations...you have just removed all the product you were trying to apply to your automobile. Chances are, you won't be able to remove all of the wax, and the is were the problem begins. Wax build-up is a pain in the butt and takes away from the shine you are trying to achieve. For a good base coat, try using one of the many paint restorers or POLISH on the market. Remember, the affect you are looking for is POLISHED not waxed!

There are also some aerosol sprays on the market that will help "seal" and "strengthen", not only you polishing efforts, but your paint job as well.

The main thing to remember is to keep your Sling clean. It can never be said that Slingshots are allergic to baths. Clean water has never been an enemy to the Sling. A healthy rinsing after every ride may seem a little tedious, but the rewards are countless.
    Attention to detail will get you the results you are looking for. Mother's products are very well respected. Just put away the Carnauba Wax, and should be fine.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

• As already mentioned, there are more products than you can shake a stick at on the market. I was a member of a large corvette forum for many years and there was always a debate/fight going on about what's the "best" product on the market. "Best" is a very open term and basically it boils down to what works best for you.

I've used more than my fair share of products over the years on many different vehicles and honestly, a few things I've learned, I use different products on different vehicles and even different products on the same vehicle. When I would take my bike to a show, I'd put a nice coat of Pinnacle Carnauba wax on it right before the show, it looked amazing but here in Florida, it had no durability in the sun/heat. I've used Zaino, Chemical Guys, Rejex, Meguiar's, Mother's, Menzerna, TW Ice....the list goes on and on.

More importantly, is your prep...you want a nice clean base. I strip off the old sealant/wax using a nice sudsy bath of Dawn dish soap and some quality microfiber wash mitts and rinse very well. I dry with a dedicated electric leaf blower that's used only for my vehicles than I perform the "baggie test". I put my fingers in a plastic baggie and lightly slide them across the clean and dry paint. If it feels rough, I would clay bar the entire vehicle, rinse and dry it again and use the baggie one more time. If the paint has any swirls, I'd remove them and finally, I'd apply a polymer type polish/sealant to finish the job.

Remember to use quality towels and applicators as cheap ones can cause "spider webbing" in your finish.

• You should look into a ceramic coating.

I have heard of these, are there any particular brands I should check out or that you have experience with?

• Bug slide is my choice between washes, I use it on paint and windshield, does a good job for me and keeps the shine...$1.00 an ounce but it's worth it in my opinion.......

• Bug slide is my choice between washes, I use it on paint and windshield, does a good job for me and keeps the shine...$1.00 an ounce but it's worth it in my opinion.......

Just read a review sounds interesting. Do you use it alone or do you use it in combination with other polishes or cleaners?

• Just my .02 cents. I use Turtle Ice car wash and Turtle Ice wax. Although it doesn't make the black parts turn white, on the seats and dash I use Wizards Vinyl shine and protected. I live on a gravel road and it doesn't attract dish as much as some of the other products I've used.

• I use a product called Top Coat. It shines and protects my Slingshot. TopCoat® The Best High Performance Surface Sealant In The World

that stuff isnt cheap is it :)