Buy a 2017 now or wait for 2018?

• Which model would you buy today if you were me? (read the whole post first) 18

1. 2017 S model (5) 28%
    2. 2018 S Model (1) 6%
    3. 2017 SL Model (6) 33%
    4. 2018 SL Model (6) 33%

My last thread about being a soon to be owner of a new 2017 model had some interesting comments suggesting to wait for a 2018 and what trim to buy. Let me break down who I am, why I want one and give me your thoughts.

The 2018 model has in particular two big changes
    1) S model is being stripped further and the MSRP lowered $2K to $19,999. I assume this is fully geared towards the modders.
    2) the SL model and above is being fitted with the new ride command radio system. A major upgrade over today's system. The MSRP remained at $25,499

A bit about me. I work. A lot. I have very little spare time during the week. I travel. A lot. Personal and pleasure. It burns up a quarter of my weekends particularly during the cooler months. In summer we usually stay put (while everyone else can go sit in traffic). We do fun stuff nearby. We don't have kids. Yet. We do have fur babies. I treat them better than some people treat their kids. I like nice things. I find custom cars cool but have little desire to actually customize one. I don't own a motorcycle. I tinker sometimes. Light tinkering. Running a mile a minute where my job is to fix things when they go off the rails, in my personal life I just need things to work and minimize my complexity.

I want something fun. This fits the bill. I think many of you saw one, drove one and immediately fell in love. Over time you decided to make changes to suit you. I think we can agree the base models start off packed full of fun and bring out your inner 12 year old, dream to be batman and a formula 1 racer. I just want this to work/be as reliable as possible, I want it to be fun, and simple and low maintenance.

With that said, some of you have recommended an S model and working it up. All I want right now is not black and a radio and speakers. I guess a windshield. I want it to drive. I have zero intention of ever modding the engine to the point where I need an ECM flashed or risk more things breaking. GASP X/ (Don't kick me out, pretty please!). I want it to have a radio. I don't want to design an entire sound system and pay installers to tinker with it. And I want it to have color. I don't want to custom paint it. With that said, I don't think an S is right for me. If it was, I'd probably go 2018 on this for the lower price.

As for colors, I see Lots and lots of red and some black. I really like the 2017 blue. I don't see a lot of it in searches. It's my factory direct "custom color". The radio sucks yes. The new radio is better. Still missing a ton of features one can get by putting in their own radio. Visibility with the aftermarket radios is a concern. I get it. It is a customization. One I can handle. I probably will make aesthetic changes to the SS to personalize it. Things I can handle. Steering wheel. Knob. Lights. Lots of lights! I am getting agita over several of you calling out TricLED failures. But generally things that shouldn't cause me too much hassle or money to install or maintain.

Right now Polaris is running $3000 rebates on the S models. $1500 rebates to clear our old inventory for 2017 SLs ($2500 for 2015/2016). That's real money. I think it is kind of nuts when you see some dealers that still have brand new 2016s. And dealers are getting pretty aggressive. The MSRP on paper for an SL is $25,499 + $1050 Polaris delivery and dealer setup fees/charges. That's roughly $27K. I assume one could negotiate a 2018 down a bit. No idea what you guys paid for the SS during the start of a warm season (for those folks who have seasons). I'm at $22K all in excluding taxes and DMV fees to clear out a 2017 SL. It's local. I don't need to ship it. I can have it now. One less hassle.

Pretend you are me (and I know I suck because it hurts your soul to not mod the hell out of it but just pretend), which route would you take? Use the vote button but also chime in with your thoughts below.

Thanks!

• I was very similar - didn't want black, wanted a cool color, wanted it to come with a windshield and a radio so I could drive it NOW. Didn't figure I'd ever get into mods. I bought the 2016.5 LE and haven't regretted it one bit.

That being said, you would be a rare duck indeed if you didn't start adding some mods once you realize how much the stock shocks suck, or that the stock lights aren't bright enough, etc. It's gonna happen.

Get the one you want, now. Just my $.02.

• Should I get and Iphone 7 or wait for the 8?...seriously, a lot of the stock stuff is not that desirable or in some cases even functional. Unique people buy a Sling and they further that uniqueness by personalizing and modifying them. The Slingshot has to be one of the most heavily aftermarket modified vehicles going. Part of this has to do with the fact that Polaris can't offer anything even slightly heavy as an option since they are at their weight limit with the D.O.T.. I'm a fan of getting the 2018 S and doing your thing as time and funds permit.

• I should have added, At sticker with delivery and setup, a stock 2018 S costs as much as my end of year has deal with rebates on a 2017 SL. Not sure what in reality the difference would be when negotiating a 2018.

• @Locapacow, if you want the new radio get an 18. Since it doesn't look like you will have a lot of free time to ride the radio shouldn't be a priority. I got my 15 in Dec of 14 and it was always my daily driver. Always hated the radio because you couldn't see the screen. Did many other mods but never got to the radio. I normally bluetooth my phone and only listen to it. Over 3000 songs on there so plenty to listen to.
    Traded for the 17 when I went to Maggie Valley last May. Radio in the 17 is a big improvement. The screen is white and you can see it most of the time. In direct sun you can shade it and are able to read it. You couldn't see the old one in sun at all. I still plan to change the radio but I have lots of other mods to do first. My wife's 15 that she got after MV is set up better and runs much better than mine.
    So, if the radio is the biggest issue, get a 17 for a lot less and spend about a third of the savings to get a good sound system installed.
    If you are like most of us you will start finding ways to pay for other mods later. :D

• Well you could look at Vanderhall Venice.. The next machine I will own in next few weeks and keep SS ...
    Al these 3 wheelers offer a difference in 3 wheel experience.
    I think the SS that I have with all its Alpah turbo,suspension,rotors/brakes ect is more suited for sport riding and corners.
    And hopefully the Vanderhall will be my automatic Cruiser on days of just enjoying a leisure ride and with better visibility
    than being deep into a cockpit as SS is.
    But hey dollar for dollar a Miata or S2000 for the money is the best buy of any vehicle but we buy these 3 wheel machines
    not to be normal.
    I sold my Lotus Evora to buy the Venice because I was bored with Lotus and thinking hard and know I am throwing money away buying
    Venice but you want something it just can not leave you until you do it and ask yourself ???
    And when you get new toy home it pleases you until the next vehicle hits the market.
    So every one can ask questions about what should I do ????
    But only the person buying or asking can make up his or her mind .
    Yes we want to hear what others say but really very very few people listen to others.
    I am one of those people who would luv to ask but no I would not listen to any of what you would say.
    So the bottom line do not ask just buy the wrong vehicle and make it what you want it to be.
    As I do ..Still enjoying my custom SS more than Lotus.

• If as you say you don't have much time to mod or aren't inclined to tinker you should go for one of the new SLRs, it might sound like a lot of money for those who mod their machines but for someone like you it is a ready to ride with all the basic mods that most people do.

Coilovers,better seats,best radio and gps out there(as far as visibility and functionality), a lot of improved parts here and there that they copied from aftermarkets.

Yes all these upgrades could be done to a base and come out cheaper but remember that not everyone has the time to work on their machine, some people just want to ride it when they can and not worry about how the sausage is made, also remember that for some people time is more valuable than money saved by doing your own mods, sounds like @Locapacow falls under the "just need a turn key option ready to go" category.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Color should also be considered as a primary decision factor. If one of the upscale models has the color you want, buy that model as the cost of a quality repaint will probably be much more than the difference in cost between models.
    Also, carefully check the Infotainment system before purchase. If you like the features on the 2018 system, buy the 2018.

If you think your mods will include replacing the wheels and tires and you don't care about the color or the Infotainment system, go with the cheapest model in the color you like. You can resell your OEM wheels, but they generally resell for less than $1000 or so, even when almost totally new.

I bought the Base model 2015. The only bad choice I made was going with the cheapest repaint I found. The kid really wanted to be able to brag about painting a Slingshot, but I wouldn't brag about the job he did if I had done it! Still, the paint job isn't that bad for the relatively small amount I paid for it (about $800 or roughly 1/3-1/4 what a decent paint job should have cost). I'd rate it about a 3-5 (it doesn't look too bad unless you are closer than 3-5 ft from the Slingshot)! Kinda like buying a Maaco paint job instead of a custom repaint.