Polaris Slingshot officialy banned from Ct united Ride!

• I have officially banned CT United from my thought process at this time, along with other events that don't want to take my money. The squeeze isn't worth the juice.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• Hey @Tony Z didn't you say there is a parking lot across the street from where all the tough guys line up for the ride??
    The " SLINGSHOTS UNITED RIDE " could start from there!! :00008359:

If you could find their route ahead of time, you could leave 10 minutes before them, and travel about 10 miles under the speed limit, and really mess with them.

Is it even permissible to drive a slingshot at 10 under the limit? :P

• today, I went on an army post, they make you wear a long sleeve shirt, over the ankle boots, wrap around eye protection and gloves, I was in my slingshot. And a helmet is mandatory regardless of state law. I had to stop at the front gate and dig out my gloves, it was 80 degrees.

• today, I went on an army post, they make you wear a long sleeve shirt, over the ankle boots, wrap around eye protection and gloves, I was in my slingshot. And a helmet is mandatory regardless of state law. I had to stop at the front gate and dig out my gloves, it was 80 degrees.

Yup ...... zero tolerance ......

MotorcyclePPE.com - Military Motorcycle Rider PPE information

....... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

@KYJoe57, if you are going to make that trip regularly, you need to talk to the base security officer. The DOD regulation for the Slingshot is that they will follow the requirements of the state that the base is in, so that mostly covers helmets and license. There is no DOD requirement for all of the safety gear in a slingshot that is required in a motorcycle, because there is no federal classification of the slingshot, and DOD can only enforce additional regulations such as safety gear on a federal standard. I went through this a year ago at my base in Norfolk, and had a very long and productive conversation with my base security officer, so we really got into the details.

• Follow the rules for a motorcycle (It's on the VIN plate).

Not true. I drove my Sling onto Fort Jackson (Army post) in Columbia, SC, a couple weeks ago in a t-shirt and shorts, following SC's no-helmet law (for Sling *or* motorcycle). If I had been on a motorcycle (which I have taken onto plenty of bases plenty of times), then I would have been required to be attired with helmet/long sleeves/boots/etc regardless of state law.

• Not true. I drove my Sling onto Fort Jackson (Army post) in Columbia, SC, a couple weeks ago in a t-shirt and shorts, following SC's no-helmet law (for Sling *or* motorcycle). If I had been on a motorcycle (which I have taken onto plenty of bases plenty of times), then I would have been required to be attired with helmet/long sleeves/boots/etc regardless of state law.

Depends on the base and the status of the operator here. Military (active or reserve) are required to follow DOD reg but civilians are not. As a civilian I can ride my slingshot or a bike with only a DOT helmet as required by the state.

• Depends on the base and the status of the operator here. Military (active or reserve) are required to follow DOD reg but civilians are not. As a civilian I can ride my slingshot or a bike with only a DOT helmet as required by the state.

Speaking strictly about the Slingshot:

It doesn't depend on the base, if they're following the rules correctly. DOD regs don't cover Slingshots yet. So the base is supposed to be following state rules. So, as I stated above, if you are in a Slingshot, regardless whether you are civilian or military, the base *should be* following the helmet laws of the state it is in, and since there are no state laws that I know of covering garments, there is no requirement for any other specific gear while driving the Sling.

The base CO has some authority to make more stringent standards in some cases/topics, so that could be case-by-case, but then they would be outside of DOD regs, so there's no way to track or quantify that.

Motorcycles:

Military must wear DOD required garments & gear, regardless of state law. Civilians must meet helmet requirements of state, but base can choose to restrict access to the base or set other standards.

(Source documentation on Slingshot issues specifically is via email and personal communication with the Norfolk Naval Base Security Officer, who is the senior commissioned officer in charge of the security and regulations for the entire base.)

• The Air force Base where I work as a Millitary Security Officer (civilian) is in Missouri. In Missouri the Slingshot is licensed as a motorcycle so all the rules apply per the Ground Safety Officer.
    I guess the Air Force doesn't follow the Navy rules.

• I just saw this post, I'm retired military and go on Tinker AFB in my Slingshot, I've always have worn a helmet, but with the new classification to a Autocycle I'm thinking I could get by without wearing one. The reason I was looking here was that I got a Facebook message that Missouri just enacted an Autocycle law and that helmets are not required now. Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I just saw this post, I'm retired military and go on Tinker AFB in my Slingshot, I've always have worn a helmet, but with the new classification to a Autocycle I'm thinking I could get by without wearing one. The reason I was looking here was that I got a Facebook message that Missouri just enacted an Autocycle law and that helmets are not required now. Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

I don't believe any changes were made to the Autocycle definition. In it's current form the Slingshot does not fit the definition. Windshield, wipers, airbags, tandum seating and fully enclosed, not a slingshot.

• Every state has its own definition and some don't even ... and it's just lumped in with motorcycles. So nobody has the correct answer ...depends where you live as to the rules you'll need to follow and the same goes for traveling from state to state