Something is burning!

• I’m not sure if this is a major malfunction or not, but I started the SS this afternoon to take my granddaughter for a ride. Shortly after lighting the fire, smoke appeared behind and above the passenger side seat indicative of plastic wiring giving up the ghost. My question is, how big an issue is it getting into the rear of an SS? I suspect it may have to do with the backup camera as it quit a few days back. You would think the fuse would have averted that but who knows. It is under warranty but I may need to haul it about 100 miles to the dealer if I can’t find the culprit and at least unhook it.

My people skills are just fine; my tolerance for idiots, not so much!

• Well, I'll declare,as Grandma used to say. Youlearn something every day. I had no idea it had heated seats. I'll go check it and get back.Thanks,

• Is there a wiring diagram that can be downloaded? I can check for a short if I know which wire feeds the camera then disconnect it so I won’t need to haul it to the dealer.

• The saga continues
    I removed the center tail light assembly for a look see inside the rear housing. I see no burnt wires and the camera wires appear to be intact. I removed the radio and see nothing amiss there but did discover two layers of insulation that apparently was added by the previous owner to protect the radio. I removed the battery cover and the three fuses there check good. I hope I never need a jump start, especially if I’m stopped in a wet location. You need to stand on your head and use a snorkle. I think I would figure out how to run a heave hot wire to some location more accessible for jump starting, assuming there is no place under the hood you can do that. I checked the fuses in the panel up front and found a 20-amp fuse blown. The cover indicates it is for the horn so that doesn’t explain the smoke coming from the rear of the SS unless of course the horn is in the rear. I put everything back together and turned the key to the on position and waited a minute or so. Again no smoke so I started it up and let it idle for several minutes and it didn’t burst into flames – a good thing. I guess whatever went away yesterday is no longer an issue. I’ll let the dealer deal with it next time I’m in unless something else goes sideways.

BTW: Someone wanted to know if ther was an extra jack on the rear where external audio could be injected. Nothing on this one - 2016.

• Yes Shatneyman, exactly what I envisioned.

Macaws, I have a setup on my truck with a power pole mounted in the grill that matches one on the end of heavy jumper cables. I’ve been able to keep up with this set for years because no one can use them without the truck.

Bigdog, It definitely smelled like the plastic coating on wires. The smoke appeared behind the passenger seat more or less.

• I have not removed the seat as I was unaware tail light wiring ran under them. I’ll check that next. I have not check to see if both tail lights work.
    Thanks

• I have not removed the seat as I was unaware tail light wiring ran under them. I’ll check that next. I have not check to see if both tail lights work.
    Thanks

To the best of my knowledge the tailight wiring harness doesn't run under either seat. I am fairly sure the wiring harness runs under the transmission tunnel.

• Not tail light wire but heated seat wiring ..that's the only thing under the passenger seat electrically... I wondered about the lights thinking a shorted wire under the back deck...but you're saying the smoke came from behind the seat and not out of the back deck behind the seat?

• I was in the driveway with no noticeable wind with the engine running when the smoke appeared right behind the passenger’s head just past the middle of the rear deck. I did not see exactly where it was coming from but did not notice any in the cockpit as I was more interested in getting my granddaughter out. I think it came out at or near the top of the deck.

I ask the previous owner about “heated seats” and he had no knowledge of them? It does have wires attached towards the rear of each seat running in wire loom but I see nothing in the manual and no switch is apparent, that I can see, to turn them on. Did the 2016 have heated seats or were they an option?

• Did the 2016 have heated seats or were they an option?

No ........ none have..... the hot wires under the seats are assumed to have been intended for heated seats but no year has had them available. Kind of like the fog light leads, placeholder in the fuse-box, and switch pre-wiring, but no fog or drivings lights have ever been offered by Polaris.

Personally I would not downplay an electrical problem under the rear deck since your gas tank is under there between the driver and passenger with all of its wiring.

The early reverse cameras where known to go up in smoke but you stated you already checked it ...

If it was mine I would be pulling the deck and digging until I found it ..........

........... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......