Oil cooler

• We have the full kit running on our Slingshot right now. We had it on up at Maggie Valley and have been doing some longer term testing on it. Just put another 1900 miles on it last week to make sure everything is working well with it. We just returned from a week long event in Arkansas, so I can get you some more details later, but attached are a couple quick pictures of the setup. It will include the oil filter adapter and bracket, cooler and bracket and all of the -10 lines. For people that have bought the oil filter adapter that fits in the engine, the rest of the parts will be available seperately also. I do not have final pricing on it yet though and will post that up once it is available also.

• We have the full kit running on our Slingshot right now. We had it on up at Maggie Valley and have been doing some longer term testing on it. Just put another 1900 miles on it last week to make sure everything is working well with it. We just returned from a week long event in Arkansas, so I can get you some more details later, but attached are a couple quick pictures of the setup. It will include the oil filter adapter and bracket, cooler and bracket and all of the -10 lines. For people that have bought the oil filter adapter that fits in the engine, the rest of the parts will be available seperately also. I do not have final pricing on it yet though and will post that up once it is available also.

I looked at this when you were in Springdale but didn't get a chance to discuss it with you. My question is how do you change the filter without getting oil on everything? That was my only concern. Looked like a very good setup otherwise.

• Sure thing. I am in the Hospital right now scaring nurses and chasing staff around the hallways so as soon as the week is done and I get home I will shoot some pictures perhaps by Sunday for some detailed cooler location and final placement I did :00000156:
    Happy thoughts :00008674:
    Oh and the best part is everything is simple and easy to access and didn't cost the standard bend over and take it price :00007510:

• Sure thing. I am in the Hospital right now scaring nurses and chasing staff around the hallways so as soon as the week is done and I get home I will shoot some pictures perhaps by Sunday for some detailed cooler location and final placement I did :00000156:
    Happy thoughts :00008674:
    Oh and the best part is everything is simple and easy to access and didn't cost the standard bend over and take it price :00007510:

Awesome - :thumbup: cant wait to see more pics

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• I looked at this when you were in Springdale but didn't get a chance to discuss it with you. My question is how do you change the filter without getting oil on everything? That was my only concern. Looked like a very good setup otherwise.

Most oil filters have a little valve that prevents most of the oil from draining out of them, so most of the oil stays in the filter. For the oil that is in the center of the filter that does come out when you remove the filter, the oil fitler adapter we made has a little lip that will hold most of it. We did also put just a couple paper towels under the filter when we changed it to catch any remaining that came out, which was not that much.

• @Dave@DDMWorks

Can I purchase the oil filter adapter from you?

The actual cooler I will setup different because the way my intercooler and radiator are setup, I will have more space to put a bigger one in front than a normal SS or one with a FMIC like Alpha.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• @iNewton, If you're just looking for the adapter that replaces the oil filter cap, I found it on EBay for around $150. It's listed as CBM-10813 Ecotec 2.2L 2.4L L61 LE5 remote oil filter adapter cooler billet USA.
    I'm wondering if this could be used to provide oil to a turbo w/o drilling any holes or removing the oil pan.

• @iNewton, If you're just looking for the adapter that replaces the oil filter cap, I found it on EBay for around $150. It's listed as CBM-10813 Ecotec 2.2L 2.4L L61 LE5 remote oil filter adapter cooler billet USA.
    I'm wondering if this could be used to provide oil to a turbo w/o drilling any holes or removing the oil pan.

I already have that part (the DDM version) its the rest I need to setup, the oil filter in particular.

As for feeding the turbo, no, it can't be used for this. feeding too much oil to the turbo can make oil get out of the seals (they are not seals like rubber, but more like piston rings. If you feed it too much pressure, oil can escape the rings) and also the oil return side is not pressurized, oil returns by gravity only (which is why the turbo must be mounted higher that the oil pan, and that the oil return line is so much bigger than the feed side, so that it doesn't cause restriction and cause oil to back up into the turbo housing, causing oil to escape the seals.)

Also the oil coming out of the turbo is like foam, its not liquid, that is why it needs to return to the oil pan above the oil level so that it has time to get back to liquid state before dumping in the pan.

If you don't want to make a hole in the pan (the feed tube doesn't need to get drilled, there are access holes on the oil line on the engine for this), the only way would be to run a seperate independant oil circuit for the turbo, fed by an electric pump. You could pass this oil line thru a cooler too to help keep oil cool in sustained wot driving.

JonV actually proposed this on his initial kits, but lack of knoledge from many caused him to change this to the regular oil pan mod.

The seperate line has multiple advantages over the pan mod:

1) no need to mod the engine
    2) no contamination of the oil from the engine to the turbo
    3) you can use different oil types for the turbo than the engine
    4) less oil changes and easier maintenance
    5) can setup a turbo timer to keep oil going thru the turbo when engine is stopped without having to run the engine at idle.

But its more complex and more expensive to install and takes up more space in the engine bay.

Electric Oil Feed and Scavenge Pumps

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

Edited once, last by iNewton ().

• @Dave@DDMWorks

Can I purchase the oil filter adapter from you?

The actual cooler I will setup different because the way my intercooler and radiator are setup, I will have more space to put a bigger one in front than a normal SS or one with a FMIC like Alpha.

Sure, I will have Ivy start working on the separate page for it and post it up. Let me know if you are going to mount it in the same location, I can get you the bracket that we are using also.

• 'iNewton', Thanks for the feedback about the turbo application. Haven't made a decision about forced induction and knew I wasn't thrilled about having to drill the pan and all the PITA associated with that. Fortunately, I'm in no great hurry while I try to get the funds needed together.

• If you don't want to make a hole in the pan (the feed tube doesn't need to get drilled, there are access holes on the oil line on the engine for this), the only way would be to run a seperate independant oil circuit for the turbo, fed by an electric pump. You could pass this oil line thru a cooler too to help keep oil cool in sustained wot driving.

JonV actually proposed this on his initial kits, but lack of knoledge from many caused him to change this to the regular oil pan mod.

For clarification JonV's original design did not incorporate a separate oil circuit for the Turbo .... pressurized oil was fed from the engine block, to the turbo, then an electric scavenging pump was mounted under the Turbo pumping return oil to a fitting mounted in the oil filler cap .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

For clarification JonV's original design did not incorporate a separate oil circuit for the Turbo .... pressurized oil was fed from the engine block, to the turbo, then an electric scavenging pump was mounted under the Turbo pumping return oil to a fitting mounted in the oil filler cap .....

I stand corrected then, thanks ! :)

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• @gpcustoms that is pretty awesome looking . Can you shoot a couple more pictures of how the thing looks from the front and underside?

Took a spell but Im out and about Rab. Grill installed under the chin brings in additional air onto both the rad and cooler.

Im still a bit weak but the cooler sits in front of the rad at a 45 degree angle and below center so it does not block all in coming air. The aluminum grill helps keep rocks out of the soft targets. It should be noted that the cooler does not protrude down as far as the grill even though the grill has plenty of clearance as you can see from the photo of under the front shroud.
    The placement of the filter adapter was important because I need access without creating additional problems and messes. At this location it is easily serviced and without twisting the body around and bending like a yoga instructor.

I used the CBM unit because its been around forever and can be clocked if the hoses do not line up and clear the intake.

Sorry about the grill in the photo but I am totally exhausted so I took the photo from the front of the grill :00000156:

Happy thoughts :00007510:

• Sure, I will have Ivy start working on the separate page for it and post it up. Let me know if you are going to mount it in the same location, I can get you the bracket that we are using also.

I can mount it at the same location.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• Nicely done!

Just wondering about the CBM adapter you are using. We have used that one in the past before we made our own and it couldn't be clocked, just wondering how you are clocking it.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Ours never had the shims in it, but that was from years ago, so it might be something new.

We are actually using shims on ours also since the starting thread location on the LE5 and the LE9 are different. As a side note, from what we have seen every LE5 does start the threads at the same point, same with the LE9 blocks. Since ours was originally designed for the LE5 it clocks nicely everytime, but we had to do the shims to make it work consistantly with the LE9.

Hope that helps and thanks for the info!
    Dave