Ballpark range for paint jobs?

• Mama, out of the blue, asked me to ask the gurus a question. She was watching some of the footage and said "there's too many red ones, which one is us?" So..... Mama wants to know what range everyone is paying to have the Slings painted. She is wanting an old signature color we used back in the day, just a GM metallic with clear coat. We will be leaving the trim black. So for a basic 2 part (paint and clear) paint job, what are we in for? $3k? $5k? Less? More? @Painter?

Thanks all!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

• Well... The range is far and wide from what I've learned... However, if you're willing to take the pieces apart and take somewhere to paint, it would save money! And probably best for quality to have parts painted off of the Sling... Especially if your keeping black plastic, black.

A local shop in Houston quoted me $1250 for autoflex colorshift paint (looks like real paint, but peelable, though still high quality)... The cost was me taking pieces and keeping in mind prep isn't as involved as real paint (no sanding or removal of original paint). Just sharing...

• Thank you, it's a consideration and a starting price. I guess she actually premeditated this. Evidently she asked a neighborhood body shop but they had no clue. If they cannot put it into their estimate software (make, model, etc) they are lost. She said that if we got some pricing he would see if he could do it for that. ???? Weird.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

• Only advise I can give you is make sure if you paint person is taking it apart that it is not the first one they worked on. They are a PIA to disassemble at least the hood is. @MiM is correct if you can find someone to paint the parts you will save big. But the tabs on most of the parts are delicate so your painter needs to use care when sanding between coats. it is easy to damage them when you apply pressure, I would guess most have some sort of jig to hold them.

Good luck
    Sounds like a great plan for color

I think your best bet would be @Painter he is a master of his craft

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Only advise I can give you is make sure if you paint person is taking it apart that it is not the first one they worked on. They are a PIA to disassemble at least the hood is. @MiM is correct if you can find someone to paint the parts you will save big. But the tabs on most of the parts are delicate so your painter needs to use care when sanding between coats. it is easy to damage them when you apply pressure, I would guess most have some sort of jig to hold them.

Good luck
    Sounds like a great plan for color

I think your best bet would be @Painter he is a master of his craft

Thank you Mitch. I could not agree more on selecting someone who is already familiar with the Beast. Local body shops here start at $4500 if you take the panels off because they are clueless what that entails and the risk of damage is too great.
    Be careful of "Peel Off Paint" unless you don't mind it peeling off on its own or you plan to peel it off in the next year or two!

I, myself, am trying hard to cut back but am already booked through October. Still... I am not going to do this much longer. If you can wait a bit I would be glad to help ... just PM me . Kinda nice to do a "Base/Clear for a change! But, as always, I am here to help you or your painter with proper disassembly or free advise from my meager experience.

• @Painter What would you charge to just do the textured black pieces on he hood and rear deck? Also the 2 panels that run along the center console? Not looking for extreme paint job, just gloss black.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Keep the dirty side down.

• if you can handle disassembly, you'll save yourself quite a bit of money. It's not really all that difficult and there's plenty of documentation here on this site on how to disassemble even the feared hood pieces and trim. I paid $1500 and it was a high quality job and paint. Using quality paint will raise your price a bit, but well worth it in the end. Afterwards, a reputable painter can merely paint the individual pieces for you.
    Good luck and if you want to attempt disassembly, reach out... plenty of us can assist with how-to's or visit @Painter videos on removing all of the panels. I'll look for the links, but I'm sure @Tripod will post before I get a chance.

• @Painter What would you charge to just do the textured black pieces on he hood and rear deck? Also the 2 panels that run along the center console? Not looking for extreme paint job, just gloss black.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Well.... if you were on the old Forum.... or on this much better Forum for a while, I could respond.... You see, I don't do this to make money but do it out of the love of members who have contributed so much to so many.
    I really have to get to know you better to even consider painting.

Best bet is what @jorgebri60 is telling you. I've posted videos, will help any Member with disassembly and encourage any to DIY as much as possible. I will even give you or your painter some knowledge... all you have to do is ask...... or make great cookies!!!!

• Well.... if you were on the old Forum.... or on this much better Forum for a while, I could respond.... You see, I don't do this to make money but do it out of the love of members who have contributed so much to so many.
    I really have to get to know you better to even consider painting.

Best bet is what @jorgebri60 is telling you. I've posted videos, will help any Member with disassembly and encourage any to DIY as much as possible. I will even give you or your painter some knowledge... all you have to do is ask...... or make great cookies!!!!

Thank you and I completely understand. Hopefully I can find a way to contribute and help other members. I am still learning the slingshot. If you asked me about buying a car or financing a car I could answer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Keep the dirty side down.

• Thank you and I completely understand. Hopefully I can find a way to contribute and help other members. I am still learning the slingshot. If you asked me about buying a car or financing a car I could answer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

welcome to the forum - your gonna fit right in - we all have special skills to help one another out - you can find out just about anything ya wanna know and make some great friends in the process!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• welcome to the forum - your gonna fit right in - we all have special skills to help one another out - you can find out just about anything ya wanna know and make some great friends in the process!!

If you find my special skills, please feel free to tell me what they are. I hate being left out in the dark on these things

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE