Conservative Politics & Daily Events Discussion

• I installed a grid tie system on my roof in 2010. The “microfit” program just came out in Ontario. It was all about the money I get paid for generating. 80cents /kwh on a 20 year contract. Next program revision they dropped it to 50cents, then 30 cents, then the program was cancelled.

the program we have now is similar to what you have, we call it net metering. what you generate goes against what you use.

yes we call it net metering as well. Since I signed up they have revamped the program so people signing up now get even less for the excess than we do. Fortunately we are locked into our version for 20 years with our version on net metering guaranteed

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Just wanted everyone to know that this is the oldest and most prolific thread on the forum. Thanks to all for respectful debate and all the info I have picked up reading this thread. As usual you guys make it happen and are quite entertaining!!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• Amen. Looked into going electric for my motorcycle (before buying the Sling) and their range was normally under 100 miles (about 161km) and my commute is about that range, so I would not be able to trust the vehicle to take me back and forth.

A company called Acrimoto has what they call a "Fun Utility Vehicle" for under $20k, but again range 100 miles.

I had a Tesla ordered, ended up canceling it before delivery. Turns out i rented one just to make sure and its a pain in the ass for long road trips. Every supercharge took 30-40 minutes making a 5 hour trip easily 7 hours plus. On top of this they tell you 300 mile range but in real life you get about 275. Everytime you punch it you also waste miles very quickly. Needless to say its not for people constantly taking road trips or driving a lot etc. Apart from that, the accelarion is on another level. I might order another one when they have actual 500 miles per charge at least

• I am not familiar the sunny boy, the only option I have heard of requires the system to have the battery. When the power goes off it disconnects from the grid, the house runs off the battery and the solar panels keep the battery charged and when fully charged the solar is shut off until the battery drops down and can be topped back up again. From what I understand this requires a special inverter that is designed to turn on and off the solar as the battery gets full

sunny boy inverter is just that an inverter that changes the DC generated by the solar to AC that can be used at home or sent to the grid. If the solar is not generating, at night, cloudy day, or power outage, then no power can be used unless you have batteries. In a case with batteries and grid tie, you need what is called a Sunny Island, which ensures a proper disconnection of the grid system when using batteries for backup. There are other systems that do this also. Sunny island is just the name of the model from SMA brand.

• sunny boy inverter is just that an inverter that changes the DC generated by the solar to AC that can be used at home or sent to the grid. If the solar is not generating, at night, cloudy day, or power outage, then no power can be used unless you have batteries. In a case with batteries and grid tie, you need what is called a Sunny Island, which ensures a proper disconnection of the grid system when using batteries for backup. There are other systems that do this also. Sunny island is just the name of the model from SMA brand.

4. A special inverter or inverter system

Luckily, there is a way for a homeowner with solar to use the energy their panels make without a connection to the grid or an energy storage setup.

SMA and Enphase are two companies that make special solar inverters that are designed to automatically disconnect from the grid in the event of an outage, while still providing power to your home from your solar panels.

SMA Sunny Boy Secure Power Supply

While most solar inverters have that automatic shut-off we discussed above, SMA Sunny Boy inverters can be installed with a special circuit that allows homeowners to switch over to pure solar power after a power outage.

sma sunny boy inverter

The Sunny Boy inverter can only produce up to 2,000 watts of “opportunity power” at a time, and it’s designed to shut down if the power draw is too great. Note, it only works if the sun is up.

2,000 watts might sound like a lot (20 100-watt light bulbs!), but it probably isn’t enough to start an air conditioner. Opportunity power is designed for essential appliances only. Realistically, you can probably plug in your fridge and a lamp along with a TV and your smartphone to keep you company.

The total cost for the Sunny Boy and the outlet might be $1,000 more than another brand of inverter without the backup feature. But factored over a 10-year span (the life of the inverter), you might find this an attractive option.

Enphase Ensemble

Another company that has put a lot of work into making solar work when the grid goes down is Enphase. The company’s Ensemble energy management system works together with its microinverters to provide “grid-agnostic” solar power. That means it can send power to your appliances from your solar panels as long as the sun is shining brightly enough, even without batteries.

Of course, Enphase would much prefer you purchase its energy storage solution along with the Ensemble system, which would mean your home could operate during all parts of the day from stored solar energy. And if you’re willing to pay several thousand dollars extra for Enpahse’s IQ7 microinverters and the Ensemble system, you might be willing to drop an extra couple G’s for the battery.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Interesting, never seen this before. I wonder how new this is. BUT, only works if the sun is up, as it states. Really you are using what you generate, which is how net metering works. Up her solar has pretty much flopped. There are incentives, but not a lot going on. When I was doing it, typical payback was around 12 years.

• Interesting, never seen this before. I wonder how new this is. BUT, only works if the sun is up, as it states. Really you are using what you generate, which is how net metering works. Up her solar has pretty much flopped. There are incentives, but not a lot going on. When I was doing it, typical payback was around 12 years.

I was looking for a way to use Solar Panels during a power outage, yes I understand it only works when the sun is up.. but that is how Solar works. I did not want the battery backup as the cost goes way up... Yes I could pay over 20 years or so but I think I will just go with the Generac that runs off the Natural Gas at my home... I am up there in age a bit and the 20 year payback/break even does not interest me. 7k for a whole home Generac system (for my house anyways) seems like a much better option.

I have a couple of friends who moved to AZ and they were surprised when looking for a house that the ones with Solar mostly added to the monthly payment because of the 20 or longer "lease" the the original person took out for the Solar. Yes, you could try to get the seller to pay, but they just raised the cost of the home to cover the cost of paying for that Solar installation.

Anyway, my buddy that lives in the mountains here in CO has the Generic and in the winter it has saved him from having pipes freezing, and other stuff. After their first power outage a few years ago and his house was the only one with power, now most of his neighbors have the Generac also.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

When we went solar we went with a lease. We paid nothing out of pocket and our monthly lease payment is just a tad less than our lowest monthly payment was when we were paying for power from Edison - before we went solar our electric bill ran from the low 300's per month in January and December to well over $1,ooo in the summer months with the average probably being in 600's - - now with the lease we are in the low 300's every month and have saved a ton, but what's really nice is it never changes this makes budgeting our money much easier as there are no surprises.

Edit: another thing we liked about a lease is that the leasing company, Tesla, owns all of the panels and other equipment and is required to maintain it with minimum production guarantees every year - no worries about any hidden costs for us should something go wrong

• I was looking for a way to use Solar Panels during a power outage, yes I understand it only works when the sun is up.. but that is how Solar works. I did not want the battery backup as the cost goes way up... Yes I could pay over 20 years or so but I think I will just go with the Generac that runs off the Natural Gas at my home... I am up there in age a bit and the 20 year payback/break even does not interest me. 7k for a whole home Generac system (for my house anyways) seems like a much better option.

I have a couple of friends who moved to AZ and they were surprised when looking for a house that the ones with Solar mostly added to the monthly payment because of the 20 or longer "lease" the the original person took out for the Solar. Yes, you could try to get the seller to pay, but they just raised the cost of the home to cover the cost of paying for that Solar installation.

Anyway, my buddy that lives in the mountains here in CO has the Generic and in the winter it has saved him from having pipes freezing, and other stuff. After their first power outage a few years ago and his house was the only one with power, now most of his neighbors have the Generac also.

I live on the coast of Mississippi. With the storms each year , the chance of power outages is higher than in Kansas. If we have a storm outage it will be for days not hours. I have a Generac which will run for about 7 days off a 250 gal propane tank. It’s a great backup.

YLM. Your Life Matters

• gassed my Slingshot this morning - $5.99 and 9/10 per gallon for 91 octane - I suspect this might be the last time I can find it for under $6 for some time to come. And this station is a good deal lower cost than most others here in the valley - most are already well over 6 for premium

read this morning that they are expecting 6 bucks a gallon for regular nation wide by August

• gassed my Slingshot this morning - $5.99 and 9/10 per gallon for 91 octane - I suspect this might be the last time I can find it for under $6 for some time to come. And this station is a good deal lower cost than most others here in the valley - most are already well over 6 for premium

read this morning that they are expecting 6 bucks a gallon for regular nation wide by August

Taking the RV to NW AL for warranty service next week. 800 miles one way at an average 7.8 mpg if I take it slow, 800 miles back in the truck. Then do it again in a few weeks to pick it up.

....... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I have heard it said that our “leaders” planned to have gas prices soar to push people into electric vehicles. I hope that this is just propaganda. If Bubba who lives in a single wide, supporting his family of four living paycheck to paycheck has to choose between gas to get to work or feeding his family - how in the f@¥k is he supposed to go out and trade in his 1992 Dodge Ram in on an electric vehicle and afford that??? What happens is Bubba chooses feeding his family - he quits his job because he makes to much money to go on government assistance for food becoming a liability for all rather than positively contributing to the economy. If this is part of the Green New Deal plan I suspect it will overwhelmingly fail when Bubba - who has self pride hating to be on the government tit gets a chance to vote!! Time will tell….

Remember according to democrats poor colored folks can't afford a $5 ID, but CAN afford a $60k Tesla...

VOTE PEDO!

• Gotta criticize both ways anything less is racism. Hopefully people will see through the push for power. Except for joy behar or woppie goldberg. Their hopeless.

https://americanpigeon.org/bla…ks-jr-drives-car-through-

christmas-parade/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/13…ting-wednesday/index.html

Yes, I agree...however.... she claimed the shooter was the result of "white supremacist ideology pushed by the Republicans" .....

Well ..he's a Black dem ....so ...... shy-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......