Bigger Brakes & Rotors

• Looking for opinions on whether I need bigger brakes and/or rotors.

I'm changing my stock SSSL 18/20 inch wheels to 20/22. I don't plan on buying a turbo or racing it anytime soon. I'll hit the gas on the straights (and corners every now and then) but primarily my SS is just for looks and cruising.

• Looking for opinions on whether I need bigger brakes and/or rotors.

I'm changing my stock SSSL 18/20 inch wheels to 20/22. I don't plan on buying a turbo or racing it anytime soon. I'll hit the gas on the straights (and corners every now and then) but primarily my SS is just for looks and cruising.

@Turbosling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I ran with a 20/22 set-up for some time on stock brakes. A pad upgrade is probably all you would need. Have big brakes now, but that is because of performance mods.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• I don't think the wheels will make much of a difference. Unfortunately the stock brakes are nothing to brag about. I played around with mine (a lot) and found poor clearances on a very cheap caliper. Alibaba showed the calipers bought in bulk were 10 bucks each. This was the peddle pump cause on mine and I opted for the Stop Tech kit getting it on sale. Best mod done on the machine. All of the supposed air issues in the braking system miraculously disappeared and the braking is now exceptional in comparison.

• grab you some drilled rotors and get you some aggressive brake pads. That is all I use. I have been pretty happy with them. However I would probably upgrade my calipers in the future to help me in the mountains. I have experienced a slight bit of brake fade when trying to run with sport bikes at really high speeds. But even then it takes a while to start fading.

• This is a question only you can answer. Do you have confidence in your brakes now? Have they ever failed you? Do you feel they are lacking in stopping power? It depends on your driving style. If you are Sunday cruising, I personally feel that the stock brakes are more than adequate. I did run on the track with stock pads and rotors and never had the stock brakes fail me, but I never pushed them very hard either. I did upgrade to Alpha's Big Brake Kit which makes me feel more confident and comfortable in the brakes and I'm willing to dive deep into corners and get on them hard.

It's all about the type of driving you do and confidence you have in the equipment on your machine. Big brakes are super sexy, but also very expensive for just an aesthetics mod, especially if you aren't doing the type of driving that would utilize the extra stopping power big brakes provide. I'll also go further to say that the big brakes on my Sling are twice the size of the calipers on my full size Tundra CrewMax. Probably a bit overkill, but again, definitely confidence inspiring for the type of driving I do. My 2 cents is to match the brake setup to your style of driving, unless you just have money to burn.

Yours the decision is young Jedi!

• Changing out the brake pads and installing a master cylinder brace is probably the best bang for the buck with the brake system on the slingshot to increase stopping power and pedal feel. The larger rotors and thermal mass they provide on a Big Brake Kit are not really needed unless you are doing very hard driving with the Slingshot, but most people will do them on larger wheels for the looks of the kit.

So if you want just better brakes, look at replacing the pads or something like this - Polaris Slingshot Upgraded Brake Package by DDMWorks

If you want something that will fill in the larger wheels, we have the biggest brake kit available - 14" rotors - Slingshot Front Big Brake Kit by DDMWorks

Let me know if you have any other questions,
    Dave

• Man! You guys are awesome! I think I'm gonna try out the stocks when I get the new wheels put on. Because of my work schedule I haven't has a lot of time to truly test out the SS without the wife in it. She's not having that with her in the car!. Happy wife! Happy life! But guys gave some great info.