That Dreaded Clicking Sound Sounds like a Bad bearing already.

• Well 632 miles in and it begins. X(

I had not heard a bad sound from the rear end and was backing out slowly at work I hear click...click...click. stretchhhhhhhhh

Looking it up here I called my dealer and am dropping it off Monday. ||

I hope this is a one time thing for me. I really love driving this machine!!!!

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer

• Just for giggles have you washed off your belt? Sometimes that damn belt will click from having a little dirt and grime in there. It's always enough to make your heart stop when the clicking starts but sometimes this simple quick wash will cure the issue

• 632 miles? Gonna guess a cold belt and a little slack... clicking was probably belt trying to climb over teeth and the stretch was the success of process. Proper belt tension will probably be the fix.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Your doing it wrong..... Turn the radio as loud as you can (if its factory use Pandora and about 19 is as loud as you can go before speakers pop and skip out) and drive it like you stole it.

• I wish it was the belt being loose, but it isn't. It happens in both directions forward and reverse.

Here is a link from this forum of what the clicking sounds like, plus when I am in vehicle and take off it has an awful stretching sound as well.

Rear End Noise Questions

I have lots of experience fixing things so it is not a matter of me looking things over and also fixing them if need be, but I know how my dealer is for selling Slingshots but not for fixing them. I want to bring it to them as is so they cannot say I messed it up by wrenching on it.

Mine was built March 2017 according to the tag, it has the double nuts and what could possibly be the yellowish locktite.

Plus this thing is under warranty :thumbup:

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer

• Being it was built just last month and has Double Nuts my guess it left the Factory with that done already.

My Dealer will have it today and said they will work on it tomorrow so I hope to have better answers then.

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer

• I was told the belt was setup way to tight, and it needs to be adjusted. They are going to adjust it, drive it and listen.

I requested they take the belt all the way off and then listen to the bearings and see if they are making and noise without any other influences.

Hoping to find out midday what's going on.

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer

• I went and picked up my Slingshot and so far after the belt adjustment no noise.

It's 25 miles from my dealership home and once in my driveway I pushed in the Clutch and let it roll backwards down the driveway and not clicking.

I have a Belt tension guage on order in case it continues to need adjustment.

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer

• Well my assertation may have been pre-mature :/:/

After not hearing any noise from the back when driving from the dealer and to work and back I was happy. After eating dinner...2.5 hours later, I knew I needed gas so off I went....then that noise again :cursing:

I have a Belt Tension Guage coming this weekend and I intend to have a good look myself. I know that Belt Tension is a General Service item so Polaris can't gig me on the Warranty for re-setting it and pulling the belt to check the bearings real well.

I am still guessing in my head as to why some adjustment made the sound go away (Very Quiet) to making the sound again???

Guess I will find out Saturday when I take my own wrenches to it.

It would be nice if someone lived close to double check this thing, but no one close that I know of.

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer

• I am still guessing in my head as to why some adjustment made the sound go away (Very Quiet) to making the sound again???

Belt tension is set on a cold belt with no load in the SLingshot under perfect static conditions ...... so the bearing is happy

Since the belt gets tighter when the driveline is warm and also gets tighter when a load is added to the slingshot or the rear suspension is compressed during normal operation more and more radial load is placed on the sprocket side needle bearing .... so the bearing gets sad ....

This is why, IMO, the factory belt spec is waaaay to tight ... cold and unloaded it fine ... put a rider in and it goes to zero...add some heat from normal operation and it goes to positive tension putting the needle bearing under a constant load its not designed to handle ...

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• @Orangeman for shits and giggles do you know the idea static setting. I need to go in and redo mine after the recall work. Plus I lowered mine by 7/8" so may really need to address it early with the new swing arm.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Orangeman for shits and giggles do you know the idea static setting. I need to go in and redo mine after the recall work. Plus I lowered mine by 7/8" so may really need to address it early with the new swing arm.

All I can tell you is what my dealer and I did, I suspect it will be different depending on your average loading, what shock you have, how and where you ride ...

This was after we changed out the rear bearings .....We have Alpha three way shocks, our Slingshot is actually slightly lighter than stock, and we usually ride two up so verified we had the shocks set how we wanted them, then we set the belt at factory spec with it hot and with both of us in the Slingshot with a full tank of gas ....

When cool and unloaded it settled to the fat side of an inch of slack at 10lb on my belt tension gauge on a FL summer day ....

I have seen owners with heavily loaded/modified Slingshots end up at 1-1/4 and still others recommend up to 1-1/2 for hot track use ....

After this and over a year ago my dealer started to set all Slingshots in for maintenance at a good inch of slack and his bearing/angle drive noise complaints dropped dramatically .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Way cool report!!!

Living in Louisiana is similar to Florida so I will set mine to an inch.

If I had to guess with just pulling the belt with my fingers I would say mine may be at 1/2"

I am hoping the bearings sound Ok once the belt is off for a good washing (2nd time) and nothing to interfere with their movement. I should have my gauge on Saturday :thumbup:

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer

• Man is it ever getting hot :evil::evil::evil: here in Louisiana!!! Ok besides that I finally had the chance to look over the noise from the rear end of my SLR. I measured the deflection on my belt and it was maybe light of 3/8" so I would say even after the dealer adjusted it it was still way tight.

I got all of the nuts and bolts loose. That Pivot Shaft nut is a real bear I tell ya, but a cheater bar really helped and I got it. I also had to make the 22mm drive for the Pivot Shaft and it worked Great.

I put the "Fat Side of an Inch" deflection on the belt and not a single noise on my short test drive so I hope it stays that way.

I also had the opportunity to take the belt all the way off and I scrubbed it. I was also able to jack it up and spin the wheel and listen...I didn't hear one click or any sign of Bearing noise so I am happy at this point.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions on this issue!!!!!

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer

Edited once, last by viking66 ().

• I just want to report that so far doing this has made my SLingshot so much better. It is even more quiet that when I first got it. The Fat Side of an Inch deflection seems to be the charm for me.

Thanks again...on to other cool things now that my mind is not cluttered with Bearing failure and replacement :thumbsup::thumbup:

South Louisiana
    Slinghammer