Report your current weather here.

• 2 nites ago it was 6 freakin degrees with windchill of -10 here in Maggie Valley. Stuck my head out the door and HOLY SHIT!!! Back in front of fireplace. Don’t know how you guys north of me deal with it but for a born and bred coonass that is too freakin COLD!!

Sounds like you are just a big CANDY ASS, wait I was using spellcheck, COONASS

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I am? I didn't know that . . . .:?:;)

But better than the freezing rain and ice storm we are supposed to get here in Austin tonight. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 27, Tomorrow's low is also supposed to be 27 - not a typo.

We are better prepared for this nasty stuff....bad news just 'blew' the 4 wheel drive in the 'plow truck'. Did get it to my tech this pm.

• That's NOT a good way to start the new year EJ

Got to always think positive... I called the guy who mows my properties and left him a note... Then I called his bookkeeper who is one of my customers --- She said that she was about to call me next week, she needs some painting done. All is good.

• Currently 75 here in Dominican Republic. ZZP does a yearly company trip here for a long weekend so we can escape the cold for a minute. I always come down 3-4 days early and make a week out of it so I can visit family and friends for a bit before everyone arrives.

ZZPerformance, Go Fast Not Broke
    EST 2000

• The other side of the coin...the customer who we started on Tue we have left 'hanging' by not getting into work on that project yesterday or today. Not to serious, they are in South Florida enjoying the Sun and won't be until late Mar.

just have not made any money.

You know EJ, if they are in Florida you could always burgle the house. I kid! I kid!

I just bought two firearms from a guy who is retiring and moving to Dominican, and I know another guy who retired there last year. What is the political climate these days? When I was there last on a cruise ship, they had guys with automatics guarding the docks and their leader was in exile in another country.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• [quote='SlingLow','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/2545-report-your-current-weather-here/&postID=365817#post365817']

The other side of the coin...the customer who we started on Tue we have left 'hanging' by not getting into work on that project yesterday or today. Not to serious, they are in South Florida enjoying the Sun and won't be until late Mar.

just have not made any money.

You know EJ, if they are in Florida you could always burgle the house. I kid! I kid!

I just bought two firearms from a guy who is retiring and moving to Dominican, and I know another guy who retired there last year. What is the political climate these days? When I was there last on a cruise ship, they had guys with automatics guarding the docks and their leader was in exile in another country.

[/quote]

I love it here. I’ll likely retire here. The people and the culture here is amazing and it’s a global melting pot of culture where everyone commingles seamlessly.

Political climate here is fine. I lived here for nearly a decade. Started coming here back in 2008 when there were no paved highways. Just dirt roads everywhere. The infrastructure here is a million times better. AR style rifles and sawed off shotguns is kind of just the norm. The US is just kind of sheltered from that. It’s an initial shock though for sure. You become numb to it. It’s still a crooked country which has its advantages and disadvantages. You can buy anything if you’ve got the financial ability. Prime example, I wanted to have a concealed license to carry here but you have to be a citizen which takes 10yrs if you’re an expat or 3yrs if you marry a Dominican citizen. The security manager at my old night club had a father who was a colonel in the military. I went to the capital and met his father in the morning. I paid him $500 for a legal passport that was good for 5 years but not renewable and $100 for the concealed pistol license. He handed me both at dinner that night. I was married to my Dominican wife already so after my passport expired I got one I could renew and just carry dual citizenship.

Firearms are also crazy expensive here since they stopped all import and export of them here back in 2010. The only ppl with access to anything new is…….you guessed it, the military. But if you know the right people, you can shop at the government’s armory. But a prime example would be a new Glock 19 in the states currently is around $500-$600. Here that same piece would be $1000-$1200. This is both good and bad. Bad because it’s expensive but good because it is out of reach financially for most which lowers the amount of ppl carrying that maybe shouldn’t be for criminal reasons. The other thing to consider is with all of it being expensive, just because they carry doesn’t mean there are bullets in there. Easy to spot because most non LEO and military carry revolvers. Had a guy try to rob the club once. No bullets. Didn’t end well for that guy since most of my security were local PD and military.

It’s definitely more challenging for non citizens to open businesses here. And even if you are and you’re white you generally have more hoops to jump through and pay higher taxes. Another situation where knowing the right people helps. I don’t think it’s any more crooked than the USA. The US govt is just better at operating in the shadows and controlling the narrative. I’ve lived in a few different countries and I think it’s all a crooked game and some just hide it better. You just have to adapt, meet the right people, and learn to play the game better than the next guy.

ZZPerformance, Go Fast Not Broke
    EST 2000

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• EjFord I'm looking at a 68 Chevelle SS for sale in Yorkville, IL. Probably won't do the deal but if I did, when would be a reasonable time to make the trip, road and travel-wise?

Fly here and drive back or trailer. Probably cheaper to fly out Chicago and by me in South Bend and for a small bag $ to money.gif could take you to Yorkville. Youkville is about 2 hour drive from La Porte, IN

• Sounds very similar to the Philippines - my wife has always said "It's not what you know, It' who you know" - - and I tend to agree that when it comes to corruption our government here is no better than any other, the only real difference is that countries like the Philippines are more honest about it and dont try to hind behind some moral , better than everyone else, BS - - - frankly I think I prefer the no BS ways of the Philippines, at least you know exactly where you stand.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Ours wasn't bad in the end. Not fun, likely end up with 8 or more inches but much better than the 2 feet that was mentioned on the high side. Hard to say, winds here have places clear (other than the 1/4" or so of ice that's below all this on the pavement and everything else) and over 3 foot drifts. Very few places on the roads have clear spots, seems to dump there for this storm especially the east/west roads. I drive about 20 miles west, and 10 miles north for my work. The wind has been from the north, and even if it's a flat area, the ditch next to the road seems to create a swirl and dump it in the lane.

I went to work today, but they closed at noon and I came home. Glad I did, it was bad enough (open roads, usually 35 minutes on a good day, took an hour with no traffic but plenty of snow) but got worse later in the day. I cleared my drive at 5pm with my snowblower, not looking the same now. All good, I'll leave my daily driver here tomorrow and drive the truck (2013 GMC crewcab Z71). Wife drives a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door, and only works 7 blocks away....