Report your current weather here.

• Y’all Californians ought to vote to outlaw wildfires. That way they would stop. :00008356:

Nah - we just need to get rid of the environmentalists that wont allow the forests and other land to be properly cleaned up to help control the spread of fires and we also need to get rid of the crazy government that puts "green" mandates on our utilities that cost so much that they cant afford to maintain their equipment

that and perhaps some rules telling the people that if they insist on building homes in high risk areas they are on their own if the s#it hits the fan

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Y’all Californians ought to vote to outlaw wildfires. That way they would stop. :00008356:

Nope all you need to do is put up a sign that says "NO FIRE ZONE"

Crazy they will not allow clearing of brush but they will let the fires destroy the habitat of all the little critters that live there.

The birds, bugs and snakes need to start a Me Too movement

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• perhaps some rules telling the people that if they insist on building homes in high risk areas they are on their own if the s#it hits the fan

Perfect - same goes for idiots that build at the water line of a beach knowing hurricanes have a season. Then we end up financing their new home until the next storm.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• And what I find really fascinating is even after disaster strikes and these people lose their home they don't even think twice about rebuilding right in the exact same place :/

• The same goes for the people that build homes in a flood plain

I understand the feeling, but down here in the Houston area there are many homes that were built in the floodplains for the Barker and Addicks Reservoirs. The US Army Corps of Engineers built the reservoirs back before WW 2, but didn't buy the floodplains downstream of the reservoirs. In the years since, many people bought homes, not realizing they were in a floodplain. To make matters worse, some of the land was developed by a company managed by someone who later became a Commissioner, who, when questioned about developing the floodplain land, denied responsibility. From my perspective, title searches should have included historical searches and should have revealed a potential problem, but I've never seen any reports placing blame or explaining how knowledge of the existence of the floodplains became lost/obscured.

• I understand the feeling, but down here in the Houston area there are many homes that were built in the floodplains for the Barker and Addicks Reservoirs. The US Army Corps of Engineers built the reservoirs back before WW 2, but didn't buy the floodplains downstream of the reservoirs. In the years since, many people bought homes, not realizing they were in a floodplain. To make matters worse, some of the land was developed by a company managed by someone who later became a Commissioner, who, when questioned about developing the floodplain land, denied responsibility. From my perspective, title searches should have included historical searches and should have revealed a potential problem, but I've never seen any reports placing blame or explaining how knowledge of the existence of the floodplains became lost/obscured.

I dont know how it works in other places, but every time I have bought a home here in California whether or not it is in a flood plain has been listed along with all of the other required disclosures - and it also comes up as a question when you go to get home owners insurance

Is it really possible to buy a home today in Texas and read all of the paperwork and not know if it is in a flood plain?

• I dont know how it works in other places, but every time I have bought a home here in California whether or not it is in a flood plain has been listed along with all of the other required disclosures - and it also comes up as a question when you go to get home owners insurance

Is it really possible to buy a home today in Texas and read all of the paperwork and not know if it is in a flood plain?

Even so it should be a requirement if the home is destroyed in that location, that if cannot be rebuilt in the flood plain

• I dont know how it works in other places, but every time I have bought a home here in California whether or not it is in a flood plain has been listed along with all of the other required disclosures - and it also comes up as a question when you go to get home owners insurance

Evidently, I'd say so. In my case, I ordered a copy of the flood map info thru USGS for my own peace-of-mind.

not to mention the people that give these people permits to build in flood zone.

Think they are the ones that you should call idiots.

Just sayin

Unfortunately, somehow most of the available maps failed to show the new floodplains, although I believe there were a few, relatively unknown maps that did show the info. Like I posted earlier, I'd expect the title search to uncover such evidence and/or the original land developer should be held responsible.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• From what I understand, every city or town should have the most recent FEMA flood map publicly posted. (If not, just ask for the building department or code enforcement), You can see exactly which zone every parcel is located. Plus, depending on the age of the home, you should be able to get a copy of the elevation certificate that you can use to verify if flood insurance is or is not required. HINT: Even if flood insurance is NOT required (all cash sale or bank not requiring it) it is relatively cheap if you're in either an X or AE zone

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• From what I understand, every city or town should have the most recent FEMA flood map publicly posted. (If not, just ask for the building department or code enforcement), You can see exactly which zone every parcel is located. Plus, depending on the age of the home, you should be able to get a copy of the elevation certificate that you can use to verify if flood insurance is or is not required. HINT: Even if flood insurance is NOT required (all cash sale or bank not requiring it) it is relatively cheap if you're in either an X or AE zone

Also realize that there are higher elevations in flood plains, they tend to make a whole area a flood plain. That is why the actual elevation is important. But you will catch hell proving that to the insurance company. Down the street from me is classed as flood plain but has the same elevation as I do at 23.65 feet

As I mentioned earlier, one of the people involved in the development of the land later became a County Commissioner. During a news investigation, he maintained neither he nor his firm had anything to do with the land not being identified as being in a floodplain. Somehow, during the previous 70+ years after the reservoirs were created, the info didn't get carried forward as maps were updated.

I usd to carry flood insurance on my current home, but as costs started exceeding $600/year, and after Hurricane Harvey where we did not experience anything close to flood waters in our area, I dropped it. Hopefully, I won't end up regretting that decision, but we're not listed in any flood plain and are in one of the highest locations in our community.

• We have a large area in Columbia, S.C. that they tried to pull this little trick on. They had residentual areas and commercial areas already laid. It has been a few years back but someone shut it down. I think that when they do this that the developer should have to carry the insurance on it when it is finished

• For some reason, although the reservoirs are identified on maps, folks downstream failed to realize that they were at risk of flooding if the reservoirs were pushed beyond capacity.

I spent the week before being inducted into the US Army in mid-1972 helping my Uncle clear flood damage fro m his home after the local creek flooded during Hurricane Agnes. He lived in a relatively broad area and his house was at least 15 feet above the local creek and I was shocked when his house flooded since the flooding had to cover a very wide area to reach his house. As a result of that experience, I've always made it a point to personally check flood maps before considering a property.

I also have "fond" memories of Columbia, SC, more specifically, Basic Training at Ft. Jackson. Drag-Ass Hill, Charlie 4-1 and Lightning Dispersal areas will stick with me until I'm gone. I always thought it ironic that the Army felt the safest place to be during a thunderstorm was lying in a ditch flooded with rain water!

• For some reason, although the reservoirs are identified on maps, folks downstream failed to realize that they were at risk of flooding if the reservoirs were pushed beyond capacity.

I spent the week before being inducted into the US Army in mid-1972 helping my Uncle clear flood damage fro m his home after the local creek flooded during Hurricane Agnes. He lived in a relatively broad area and his house was at least 15 feet above the local creek and I was shocked when his house flooded since the flooding had to cover a very wide area to reach his house. As a result of that experience, I've always made it a point to personally check flood maps before considering a property.

I also have "fond" memories of Columbia, SC, more specifically, Basic Training at Ft. Jackson. Drag-Ass Hill, Charlie 4-1 and Lightning Dispersal areas will stick with me until I'm gone. I always thought it ironic that the Army felt the safest place to be during a thunderstorm was lying in a ditch flooded with rain water!

All that with your Uncle could have been from development down stream and then backup to his home. Again from people not paying attention to ALL areas that could be effected from their projects down stream. I go back to permit issues from city.

Keep Three Wheels Down