To fuel or not to fuel, that is the question.

• The biggest culprit for me is Ethanol. I run 93 no ethanol in my Sling, atvs, lawn mowers and anything two cycle. I gain 3 mpg with premium in the Sling over regular. With the added mpg the cost is minimal.
    Plus no exhaust fume issues with the alpha variable exhaust.

• The biggest culprit for me is Ethanol. I run 93 no ethanol in my Sling, atvs, lawn mowers and anything two cycle. I gain 3 mpg with premium in the Sling over regular. With the added mpg the cost is minimal.
    Plus no exhaust fume issues with the alpha variable exhaust.

So reviving this old thread because this has been on my mind since the first ride I took with Henry from Alpha, he loves ethanol so I have been playing devil's advocate defending y'all non ethanol lovers.

here is what he has to say on the subject.

Henry Chan
    25 mins

Ethanol in fuel is good for your sling!!! I talk and see allot of people still searching for ethanol free fuel. It is not better for your sling or modern car especially if you are boosted. Last weekend we went on a group ride and the last gas station I fueled up at the premium 91 was ethanol free. Come Monday I have a new ecu calibration for our new turbo setup and as soon as it sees boost it starts to detonate bad! It didn't do this on another sling so I was a little confused. Plugs are older so I changed them out but still detonated. Then I remembered I had filled up with 91 ethanol free. Got rid of that and filled it back up with 91 with ethanol and no more detonation! So unless you are driving a 1932 model t ethanol is your friend.
    Comment

my last 7 fuel ups have been Ethanol free fuel 91Oct, as of my next one i will be switching to 93 oct 10% ethanol and report the difference after 7 or so more fuel ups.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I'm not boosted so I'll stick with no ethanol when available, I like the extra mpg and less fumes.
    Being a modern engine I know the ethanol won't hurt it, sometimes ethanol free isn't available and I use it.
    Let me know the difference in mpg with the higher octane and ethanol.

• I refuse to run ethanol unless the NON ETHANOL is not available. For those that have followed this thread and others like it you already know how I feel about ethanol in my gas. Our goverment tells us that it is the best thing in the world, WRONG FOR A LOT OF DIFFERENT REASON'S.

• It simply makes sense for boost. E85 would have even less detonation issues. Unfortunately it is not a good thing overall. Some bad issues:
    Lower gas mileage pure ethanol is 1/3 rd less efficient
    Attracts and retains water causing corrosion issues and fuel clogs
    Increase vapor pressure increasing vapor lock risks
    Long term causes more internal wear
    Seals, fuel lines and fuel components need to be alcohol resistant
    Some other negative aspects are:
    Making fuel out of food
    Tremendous amount of water needed to make ethanol
    Since not as efficient has a larger carbon footprint
    More expense and government subsidies

• I am glad that you listed all of this again. Some people still believe everything the gov. tells them. Even Larry McReynolds had his ass handed to him when he mentioned the decreased mileage when NASCAR changed over to the ethanol gas mix on live TV.

• Since they removed zinc from motor oil do we need to add zinc to prevent excessive motor wear....my car mechanic said he's putting it in his vehicles.....would that void our warranty...my GMC pickup requires special oil or it voids the warranty...

• From what i have read and been told it just takes a lot more e85 to get you the same power you get from regular gasoline. I don't have access to e85. If I did I would install the special sensor so I could run it in my Slingshot. The Haltech ECU will determine what fuel you have and adjust accordingly. I'm sure there is more than a sensor since it takes more e85 than it would regular gas. But the amount of boost that could be dialed in would be insane.