Factory Sway Bar Upgrade

• I thought the chassis needed new holes to accomodate the Suspension brackets. Drilling holes in the sway bar still doesn't register sure you guys will be patient with me. I'll eventually find out where the sway bar had holes to start with other than at the wheel bushings.

The improvements are to help increase the stock bar as much as possible. It is taking the elements of the superior aftermarket sway bar kits and applying them to the stock unit.
    The hole that will be drilled are at the ends of the sway bar. If you look at the aftermarket bars you will see 3-4 holes that allow the end links to be moved forward or backwards along the rotational axis of the bar. Moving the ends inward (towards the front of the SS) decreases the leverage against the bar and in turn increases the stiffness to resist roll. The % increase stiffness to the OE bar is unknown at this time because I have not been able to cut open the stock bar to see the wall thickness. When I do I'll be able to plug that number into the formula we have seen floating around on other related threads. It appears that the second drilled hole can be made 1-1/4" further forward on the end of the sway bar ( closest flat spot before the bar becomes round).
    Remember that this upgrade / improvement cannot match the aftermarket bars. They are custom designed with additional holes and increased wall thickness.
    For me any extra money goes towards other goals so I'm forced to make modifications on the cheap. I'm not unlike any of you guys. I want to mod the hell out of my SS. Just finding ways to feed the habit until I can spend real money.
    If you looking for the ultimate upgrade I would recommend the aftermarket products.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• For me any extra money goes towards other goals so I'm forced to make modifications on the cheap. I'm not unlike any of you guys. I want to mod the hell out of my SS. Just finding ways to feed the habit until I can spend real money.
    If you looking for the ultimate upgrade I would recommend the aftermarket products.

Um, not to beat a mostly dead horse, but I'll trade you mod money for a roof....

• I got the word my extra factory sway bar had shipped so I went ahead and played with the correct hole placement to be drilled.
    I ended up drilling the first pass at 1- 3/16" center to center. After reinstalling and testing I would only recommend a new hole 1" to maybe 1-1/8" center to center. This will allow the stock link end to not make contact with the round part of the sway bar.

The holes can be drilled with the bar still attached to the Slingshot. Jack the SS up place the floor stands in the locations stated in the owners manual and remove the tires. This will give you all the room that is needed.

(1) Remove wheels and place SS on floor stands
    (2) Remove upper sway bar link bolt. No need to remove the lower bolt
    (3) mark new hole location along centerline. 1-3/16" shown. Recommend 1" to 1-1/8" max.
    (4) Drill new hole. I recommend starting out with a small bit for a pilot hole. Increasing the drill bit size will make things easier. Final hole size will be 13/32 bit.
    (5) apply black paint to inside of new hole. This is to keep rust from forming over time.
    (6) reinstall sway bar link.
    (7) repeat on other side.

I found that the drag link (tie rod) does get very close to the sway bar ling at full lock. At this time I relocated the sway bar link to the back side of the sway bar to improve clearance. Will road test to make sure this will not cause any unforeseen issues.

Note: because I spaced the new hole 1-3/16" away it required me to use a spacer to clear the round part of the tube. If placed 1" to 1-1/8" you should not have this issue. Nice 7/8" thick flat washers can be used to space the link end out if needed.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• few more pictures. Showing placement to the back side and the spacer I used. I will be reducing the thickness of my spacer with some standard thick 7/8" flat washers. Just need to get to the hardware store.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• spacer applied to the back side. Also installed my $9 collars to the sway bar.

Note: I know the bolt is shorter than what I want with this spacer. A longer bolt will be installed if I keep these spacers.

(Slingshot Owners Group)