Grease zerk in axle/swingarm

• ok we need some peeps in FLA who know how to do this, so i can get it done ,,,like a mod day at ryd's house ,,,beer and pizza for labor...:) jus sayin..

I did all the drilling and tapping last night and got the bearing pressed back in. I didn't have a grease gun or a tub of grease so I left the rest to do tonight.
    I drilled mine a little differently though. I drilled a small pilot hole first, then marked a little less than 1/2" on my drill bit so I wouldnt go all the way through with the size for the tap. The housing on mine measured right at 5/8" thick, so I basically left 1/8" with just the small pilot hole going through. I then came back with a bit that matched the diameter of the hole in the bearing, and opened up the pilot hole. then tapped the hole until the tap bottomed out against the smaller diameter hole. Doing this created a stop for my next item. Since I am not wanting to leave the zerk fitting screwed in all the time, just when I want to grease it. ( approx every 5,000 miles ). The zerk will be kept in the glovebox inside a small plastic ziplock bag. When the fitting is not being used, the hole will be plugged by a 1/4"-28 set screw 1/2" long so that nothing will be sticking out the back of the swingarm.

Stephen

• Finished it up last night. Decided to leave the small straight zerk fitting in all the time as it is pretty small and not as noticable as I first expected. Especially with the new wheels and pulley re-installed. Before sealing it all up, I installed the collar in the needle bearing and gave it a pump of grease. I had some grease squeeze out from around it so I know that it works. I then cleaned up the area and installed everything.
    It is not that difficult of a procedure. Hardest part was getting the old bearing out. After doing one mine, i think it could be done again in less than 2 hours start to finish. Especially if you have two people on it.

Note: The outer part of my bearing measured .610 from the outside edge, so they are pretty consistent there.

Stephen

• Any chance someone could do a "how to video" of the ENTIRE process of installing a Zerk fitting in the swing arm? From jacking up the rear end to ready to drive? I don't have the skills to do the mod myself but I could take the video over to my neighbor who isn't afraid to wrench on any machine.

• I have had great success with the zerk I installed. Never took it in for the swingarm replacement because nothing ever changed with Polaris and I didn't want to do a zerk add on again if I didn't have to.

I did the grease zerk too, and have had zero issues.I didn't get my Swingarm replaced either and I don't plan on it.

• I wonder if a guy could very carefully drill the hole with the bearing still in place? I would have to pressurize the bearing cavity to blow shavings out and not let them contaminate the bearing.

Maybe I should try it on the old swing arm so if I am not successful the new arm will fix the goof.

So 1 and 1/16 inch in from the machined flat drill straight into the casting with a very small bit, then over drill with the proper size for zerk fitting just to required depth. Grease will go through a very small hole when under pressure.

Whada y'all think?

LC

• If you drill thru with that very small drill bit first and very carefully. Grease on the bit you would have very little chance of shavings getting to the bearing. The larger drill bit just drill just deep enough to thread with a bottom tap and with grease on each Very Careful IMHO

• If you drill thru with that very small drill bit first and very carefully. Grease on the bit you would have very little chance of shavings getting to the bearing. The larger drill bit just drill just deep enough to thread with a bottom tap and with grease on each Very Careful IMHO

I think with air pressure pushing out you would have a better chance of not getting shavings into the work than getting grease all up in it. Never really like grease as a shavings trapper. Might tear into mine to see what could happen. No lose as I have not had the recall as of yet.

LC

• That would do the trick. Maybe just someone holding a good powerful vacuum would work ok two.

that is actually what I was thinking of using. Got a nice new big ass vac that should do the trick. Or get a rubber donut used for sealing off pipes during construction and put it in the tube over the axle and pressure it up. I think the vac would work better, might try tommorrow. Ill let you know how it goes.

LC

• Well crap... Hearing some chirping from the rear. I have been lucky with over 15k between two SS and never heard any of the tell tell sounds until this weekend.... 8|

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup: