Hydro-planing

• Have you lost control on wet roads, and if so under what conditions? 41

1. I've ridden in rain and have not had any problems (18) 44%
    2. I've lost control under heavy rain with standing water on roads at normal speeds (14) 34%
    3. I've never ridden in rain, or reduce speeds to a crawl so it doesn't happen (10) 24%
    4. When hydro-planning the rear end rotated or slid toward the left. (2) 5%
    5. When hydro-planning the rear end rotated or slld toward the right (2) 5%
    6. I've lost control under light rain and wet roads at normal speeds (1) 2%
    7. I've lost control under heavy rain with standing water on roads at excessive speeds (my fault) (1) 2%
    8. I've lost control on wet roads, but mainly due to having an excessively worn rear tire (1) 2%
    9. I've lost control under light rain and wet roads at excessive speeds (my fault) (0) 0%

:)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

What do you define as "lost control" ... I have had it skip sideways a bit on a straight road in moderate rain at posted speed, enough to cause a pucker and look for a place to wait it out ..... like it momentarily over cooked a single front brake on its own ... felt like hitting a deep puddle on one side but no puddle..not out of control but not a confidence inspiring feeling either.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Lost control as in sliding off the road, an unanticipated lane change, collision or something similar. I've had the back end kick out but caught it while staying in my own lane, so I would say that's a no for me. Just wanted to get a feel for what people are experiencing under what conditions to try to find a pattern if any really do exist

• Being aware of the light vehicle weight and wide tire combo, I reduce my speed when I get caught in rain. The only time I felt like my rear end was experiencing anything worrisome was on dry pavement when my rear wheel suddenly reacted as if it was hydroplaning with the rear wheel feeling totally disconnected from the road surface and sliding a little sideways. I immediately pulled over thinking maybe I had blown a tire but everything seemed OK and I was able to continue on. Still don't now what happened.

• @funinthesun Could you fix your original post? The words are running along the side of your pole. Great topic.

I have been in really heavy rain with no issue. I have also been in heavy sleet and the Sling without warning started to slowly rotate as if on a lazy Susan. Same tires (Nitto 555's)both situations.
    I've also hit a standing puddle the size of the Sling and the Sling started to come out, but came off the puddle before it went too far (base stock tires).

• @funinthesun Could you fix your original post? The words are running along the side of your pole. Great topic.

I have been in really heavy rain with no issue. I have also been in heavy sleet and the Sling without warning started to slowly rotate as if on a lazy Susan. Same tires (Nitto 555's)both situations.
    I've also hit a standing puddle the size of the Sling and the Sling started to come out, but came off the puddle before it went too far (base stock tires).

Help Robert @rabtech I tried to edit the original text, but nothing changes. Any thoughts?

• My input... Have rode dry and wet in my Sling... Do not like wet. I would like to wait out wet, but that just can't happen always... At those times, I reduce speed.

As for the pole, reduced speed, and lost it in heavy rain at normal speed. My definition of lost it is any input not induced by me that requires me to correct to maintain control of vehicle. Yep, they will break loose in standing water.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Had a "left turn" incident last year in the rain and ended up on two wheels looking down at passenger before straightening out and pulling over . This year installed Bilsteens and Pilot Sport rear tire and have regained confidence to ride (apprehensively) in the rain.

• Mine was to the left also,
    My right front hit standing water and the SS pitched sideways to the left and I was facing the ditch I was about to fly thru. I wonder if the drag from hitting the standing water or the stability is freaking out.

• 2 additional lines have been added to the poll to see to see if everyone has experienced a spin in the left or right. Participants can go back and add to their initial votes (if the changes were made properly) Thanks again Rab for the assistance in making the changes

• We did a bit of hydroplaning come home from SSITR yesterday but easily recovered. It was a steady rain with fully wet roads and long sweeping turns in the interstate. Was just a wobble a few times but certainly puckered. Luckily the wife was asleep in the passenger seat.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• We did a bit of hydroplaning come home from SSITR yesterday but easily recovered. It was a steady rain with fully wet roads and long sweeping turns in the interstate. Was just a wobble a few times but certainly puckered. Luckily the wife was asleep in the passenger seat.

Wife was asleep in a steady rain? Lots of alcohol or sleeping pills involved?