New approach for a SlingShot top...

• Duck, the mesh, will it be like a Spiderweb Shade?

Both top options have been designed to use Velcro to secure. This allows the tops to be pulled very tight without any exposed fasteners. It also allows for a quick and easy removal. I do not think the bungee cord idea would work here but if i did I would use the approach I developed for the Eclipse sun shade here at work. All the bungees and toggles would be sewn to the shade so there are no loose parts and its all self contained. We have held off making any of the mesh tops until the frame has been finalized. I have to save money somehow. The nice thing about the Mesh is that it can have color options easier than the solid fabric top.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• very, very close but no. I assume you are talking about with the top removed. If so it is the rear mount for the single striker needed for the center mount single latch. The top has been designed so only one latch is required to secure the top closed. This centrally located latch can be released by either occupant to, again make entry and exiting easy. As you can see in the image the striker is located at the center point and could be lowered (for even more of an aggressive look) or raised for a little extra headroom.

I was referencing the vertical 2 prong bar attached just above the license plate. Is it a camera mount?

• I was referencing the vertical 2 prong bar attached just above the license plate. Is it a camera mount?

yes... early design that works but needs further refinment. It's designed as a companion part to my tag relocation bracket. It can be installed or removed from the bracket by two M10 bolts.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• I was referring to the material. I agree that the bungee attachment wouldn't look right in that top.

there are different types and percentages of UV shading to choose from. Will start with 60% and go from there

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• (2) That is something that has been considered and (may) make it into the next sample. There will be an issue with heat amplified through the plastic window.

Something see-through but tinted, or maybe even lightly mirrored? Or a flexible panel underneath that can be fastened in place to block the light when not looking through the plastic, like on longer highway drives or whatnot when there are no lights?

• Hey on the front of your SS on the lower slingwings. Where'd you get those upright wing side pieces. You made them those are cool I will pay you for some. Can I get a better pic of those.

yes they are one offs I made. They are under active design development ... :D
    Past weekend helped me find the lowest they can be set at....

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• @Ruptured Duck, can you take a picture directly from the side? Also, what's your day job? SpaceX engineer?

Last question: ETA?

@Speedr117 here is the side (profile) image you asked for. Please note that the first bow will be about 1-1.5" lower and forward about 2" and will dramatically change the look for the better. The front leading edge will also be pulled back 2-3" to help clear more windshields, remain open when tilted forwards and to aid in forward - upward visibility.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• RD, I think I'm misunderstanding. If you pull the top down and back from windshield .. Won't that dump a wall of water into front of cockpit?
    Of course without the top I'd get soaked all over anyway in the rain.

• RD, I think I'm misunderstanding. If you pull the top down and back from windshield .. Won't that dump a wall of water into front of cockpit?
    Of course without the top I'd get soaked all over anyway in the rain.

@Somerslee the one thing I dislike is trying to design a product that might do a lot of things OK, but nothing really well. The different versions of the top have helped to figure out what I should focus on and what I need to let go. The longer leading edge causes more problems than it solves. Yes it does limit some water but not enough to figure out how to raise it high enough to allow visibility forward and up. To do so would require the top to be raised. This has two problems. One it wouldn't look as good (an important aspect if this design) an two would raise the top slightly into tbe air flow off the front. I have found a sweet spot that limits buffeting as speed. Because of the light weight design this is far more important than other top designs.
    In the end it's a shade top that looks good and does offer some protection from the elements. As noted by others it is wider than most current tops so you do have better side coverage.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

Edited once, last by Ruptured Duck ().

• Love the design and the price point mentioned makes it a no-brainer. There are two must have mods, the top and relocating the exhaust to get rid of the heat in the floorboards. You just made the choice for a top. Thanks.