Steering Issue - NEED HELP

• Ok I need to reach out to anyone who may have the same issue and had it resolved.

I have had play in my steering wheel since day one and it is getting worse. We have located the problem location to the point at which the 2 sections of steering shaft are joined. It appears to be that the lower section just slides up into the upper section. It is most likely an area designed to collapse in a collision.
    The parts drawings I have seen on line show what appears to be a u joint but that is not on the final product.

While at Maggie Valley one of the Polaris engineers was nice enough to talk a look at it and admit it was a problem being addressed. He assured me there was fix on the way. I am looking for that fix. My dealer has looked at the issue and agrees where the problem is but can find no service bulletins.

At high speed this slop in the steering is scary!

Can anyone help point us in the right direction. I know I am not alone and there are plenty of other people with the same issue.

Thanks in advance

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• As soon as I get an answer I will post it here. I have heard some dealers may already have the info and I am hoping they will step up and share.

As for the other issue you mention I think that is just all about electronic steering assist. I am pretty sure there was an ECU update for the steering box or there is one on the way. Not sure it is for the same thing.

Got got to tell you I like seeing this little thing pop up that says friends - you are almost always there - gives me that warm fuzzy feeling..

Be safe my friend

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @MACAWS, have you done a side by side comparison with any other Sling? I know that this sounds a little rudimentary, but it could possibly steer you in the right direction...no pun intended. If it is indeed mechanical, there should be something that sticks out in a visual comparison. An electronics diagnostic would also narrow down the usual suspects. My apologies if you have already tried these. Just trying to help out, Brother.

• I had the same issue got sick of it, was told by dealer 1/4 in. play was within spec but shop manual clearly states "0" play . this is what I did, inside and following the steering shaft down from the steering wheel is a collar welded to the outer shaft (don't know why?) with a set screw 8mm, the set screw does nothing it's not drilled through I drilled mine through the outer shaft only drill lightly and but a small bearing in the hole and tighten the set screw against the bearing pushing the top of the flats together have solid steering no play I'm sure in a collision the roller bearing (1) I put in the hole I drilled will give. Of course not responsible for your result but very happy with my steering now. I can set cruze and set back. again assume no responsibility. Just know it works for me.

• I had the same issue got sick of it, was told by dealer 1/4 in. play was within spec but shop manual clearly states "0" play . this is what I did, inside and following the steering shaft down from the steering wheel is a collar welded to the outer shaft (don't know why?) with a set screw 8mm, the set screw does nothing it's not drilled through I drilled mine through the outer shaft only drill lightly and but a small bearing in the hole and tighten the set screw against the bearing pushing the top of the flats together have solid steering no play I'm sure in a collision the roller bearing (1) I put in the hole I drilled will give. Of course not responsible for your result but very happy with my steering now. I can set cruze and set back. again assume no responsibility. Just know it works for me.

That sounds like a good fix.
    I have been at this thing a few times and did not see the set screw. Someone else told me about a set screw as well. We looked when we were at Maggie Valley - not sure how I could miss it, But I will get it up on jacks this week and look again.
    Thanks

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I had no need to jack it up I worked from the drivers side cockpit and followed the steering shaft down to the collar. again I drilled lightly so as not to damage the inner shaft. good luck.

OK so you are saying this is in the cab under the dash.
    Not the connection point outside the fire wall.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @MACAWS. Go have the ECU update for the steering done. It solved my steering issues and made the SS handle much better than it ever did. It is an EPAS issue that has been corrected and correct d very well I might add.

• Anyone can check for the latest version of Digital Wrench by going to:

polaris.diagsys.com

Then click Read More, then Downloads to see the info shown above...

Always verify with your dealer that they are installing the latest software!!! You can check yourself at the website above & then ask to see which download date they have. Sometimes the dealers software is not up to date. Caveat emptor...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

Edited once, last by Tripod ().

• Thanks @jorgebri60 for your write up in referenced cross link. After reading all the symptoms you described I guess I'm pretty safe cause I don't show or have sensed that dead spot intensity only the normal slight drift when on the highway. Maybe it's the start of the issue maybe not never the less thanks again for the cross reference.

• Steering sticking on center Issue

Lots of info in this thread

I had the lumpy resistance issue with my steering, and the re-flash to the latest version (see @'Tripod''s post #15) fixed my issue 100%. However, what I'm interpreting from the descriptions above, I think their problem is not the same as mine. I have no play in my steering. It's pretty tight and predictable, as I would expect. The symptoms described by @MACAWS & @Nemesis1701 seems to be related to something more mechanical, such as the coupling/collar described by @rayw123. Very interested in how this plays out, and I hope you guys get to the bottom of it so you can feel comfortable with your steering....and also clue us in to what fixes your issue........inquiring minds always need to know!!!! 8o

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi