Buying New Slingshot

• Hummm 6.92 feet is the legal width of a trailer? How do tractor trailers get away with being so much wider?

My motorhome is 8.5 feet wide ... have seen others pulling double deckers the same width as their rigs.....

.....:/

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• And don't trust that all trailers are the same inside, even if marked the same exterior. I found that out when I was looking for an enclosed 8.5x16. The inner wheel wells would differ by as much as 4". I found one that was 83" between the wheel wells - and my sling is 81.5" with the aftermarket wheels.

• That width is interior BETWEEN the wheel wells ... Eterior is 8.5 legal max

OK that makes sense. I was pretty sure but didn't hear back from my BIL 'till just now, that he told me the new enclosed snow machine/UTV trailer he just purchased is 8.5 feet wide. It is and the entire deck sits above the wheels so the whole floor is full width and flat. Now I understand you would need a really long ramp, full tilt, or lift to make that work with the Slingshot.

..........frozen-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Bu11sh1t has a deckover snow machine trailer for his Slings but it is not weight rated for hauling cars. I have only seen one 8.5 foot deckover car trailer but the money was too high (all of them are too high out here on the west coast). I called an outfit in Georgia yesterday that has the best pricing I've found. They gave me the number of a hauler that quoted me $1,530 to deliver a 8.5x20 trailer from Georgia to Missouri, where I'm looking at buying a car. There goes any savings. Anyone here up for a 900+ mile trip to Missouri for less than that?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Generally those trailers have wheels/tires that aren't as tall (like 12 or 14 in).

• Bu11sh1t has a deckover snow machine trailer for his Slings but it is not weight rated for hauling cars. I have only seen one 8.5 foot deckover car trailer but the money was too high (all of them are too high out here on the west coast). I called an outfit in Georgia yesterday that has the best pricing I've found. They gave me the number of a hauler that quoted me $1,530 to deliver a 8.5x20 trailer from Georgia to Missouri, where I'm looking at buying a car. There goes any savings. Anyone here up for a 900+ mile trip to Missouri for less than that?

$1530 for 900+ mile trip is not bad considering most haulers are getting between $2-$4 per mile towed for travel trailers

• $1530 for 900+ mile trip is not bad considering most haulers are getting between $2-$4 per mile towed for travel trailers

The same guy verbally quoted 'probably a dollar a mile' to deliver the car from Missouri, 1,700 miles to my house in Washington. That's because he's got regular customers out here and could bring another car and a couple motorcycles on the same trip. That could be a better option for the car, but I still want an enclosed trailer.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)