Just a brief showing of the Vanderhall damages

• Just so I don't derail the Biktoberfest thread, I thought I'd start a new one. Feel free to bypass it if it doesn't interest you. It was a wild ride and it happened so quickly, it's amazing how much of it gets replayed in slow motion for days after the accident. Things like seeing that one tree that looked to be 25 yards or more quickly getting closer as I was sliding sideways and heading towards it. And having the horrible thoughts of how much longer is it going to slide through the mud out of control before the tires bite in and the trike starts to barrel roll knowing once it starts it wasn't going to end safely.

The surprising thing is that once it was pulled out of that situation, I was able to slowly drive it about 3 miles to a gas station that I knew would allow me to park it until I could get a flatbed to tow it to my home. I gave it a once over and a quick clean up and was somewhat happy that besides being filthy, it didn't appear to be in bad shape. I looked under the trike and didn't see anything obvious, but decided it was the best decision to send it to the Vanderhall dealer and pay them whatever they wanted for a "once over" inspection in case they found something that I didn't that would make riding it unsafe. I knew it needed the front lower chin panel replaced and a front end alignment as it pulled to the left even at the low speed getting it those 3 miles. I NEVER expected to get a phone call from the dealer saying they found major damage and that it was determined to be unrepairable.

I went to the Vanderhall dealer to remove my tag and any other personal property i had so it could get sent to the salvage lot and the service manager showed me what they found. Unlike the Slingshot that is manufactured using a tube chassis and then having the front end and rear end mounted to that "frame", the Vanderhall is constructed using an aluminum monocoque tub designed like the Indy cars. That tub assembly is an $18,500 piece! So you know they had to find out that it was damaged. The rear engine mount bracket tore apart the area by the firewall, but made sure to twist the tub before tearing it apart.

I guess they saw more damage when it was on the lift, so they removed the driver's side floor mat to see up close the extra damage to that tub. This picture shows the crack in the floor section to the right. The stainless panel on the right is the "Dead Pedal Plate" to rest your right foot while on trips with the cruise control engaged. So you know where my foot was during the accident. The only thing between my foot and that crack was the carpeted floor mat!

Talk about coming close to raising the claim from just a total loss to much much worse having medical expenses far more expensive than a pile of bent, cracked aluminum. I'm not sure what other people have for their beliefs, but after living through this one, I'm now a firm believer that my Guardian Bell that my niece bought me for Christmas (which just happened to be mounted on my side of the trike) did it's job and kept that nasty gremlin for causing me any more physical injuries than I received. I made sure I removed that bell and IF I decide to buy another trike, you know that bell is going to be the first thing that goes on even before the tag and a full tank of fuel

All I can say is for you all to be careful out there. You can be the best rider in the country, but there's so many fools on the road and these reverse trikes have a mind of their own on standing water. Once you start spinning out of control, your life and future is no longer in your own hands. If you don't have a Guardian bell yet, let it be known that you'd love to have one for your birthday, Christmas or just as a gift saying I want you protected while out there.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Damn!!! Like you said, it just didn't appear to be damaged much at all!!! Boy did that change!!! Glad you were uninjured!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Coming home from New York on the Ohio Toll Road on my Gold Wing I hit a wheel hub flip it under the bike and kept everything up right in full traffic at 70 mph. everything felt OK so I drove home. Stopping for gas I looked things over and look good. Dove the bike all week and on Sunday went to put it on center stand.....NO center stand. That was the rumble that I heard on the highway. 2 inches of basic frame GONE. Insuance did not total but in my mind I did not want a Gold Wing taken apart and a new fram put under it...

• first let me say I am really glad that you made it out in one piece- nothing is more important than that. Second just out of curiosity do you think the slingshot would have handled the situation any differently- curious if you think being front wheel drive made the situation better or worse

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I don't think it makes a bit of difference whether it's front or rear drive...

In wet weather, once that rear wheel dives off the center hump to one of the rain filled wheel ruts...

You're gone.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I don't think it makes a bit of difference whether it's front or rear drive...

In wet weather, once that rear wheel dives off the center hump to one of the rain filled wheel ruts...

You're gone.

Several years back I read a review where they compared a vanderhall, a slingshot & a Morgan - it was some motorcycle magazine and they took all three up for test drives over Angeles Crest highway and the one thing that they mentioned was that of the three the only one that got away from them in one of the turns was the Vanderhall - they seemed to imply that having the power delivered to the same wheels that provide the steering made it easier to unintentionally break the front wheels loose and lose steering control. Not sure if anything like that was involved here, but figured it was worth asking.

Just seems intuitive that giving too much power and having the back kick out like it does on the Slingshot would be very different than giving too much power on a turn with front wheel drive and having the front break loose

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• There's an article on here or the other dark site that talks about when they were designing the SS, the 1st iteration was a front wheel drive. Through testing though, they found that it did not have the proper drive characteristics which lead to the rear angle drive. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

• There's an article on here or the other dark site that talks about when they were designing the SS, the 1st iteration was a front wheel drive. Through testing though, they found that it did not have the proper drive characteristics which lead to the rear angle drive. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

What’s the other dark site? I didn’t know we were the dark site!

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Funinthesun Phil, so glad you are able to tell us about this. Regardless of the root cause we all have to remember how fast shit can happen and be aware of surroundings and drive within our limits and if conditions change then change your limits.