New Member, Older Slingshot

• Just throwing my hat in the ring as a Slingshot newbie. Had a bit of a time finding one that was affordable and in great condition and close enough to me. Finally found one that met those criteria and went 5.5 hours to buy it on Saturday the 9th. Drove back on Sunday and with rain and an accident on 81 in Bristol TN, it turned into a 7 hour drive. Half of that drive was in the rain!

But all is well, Slingshot is home, has a new rear tire mounted (seller had it, just not mounted), changed clutch fluid and angle drive lubricant as well.

It's a 2016 SL that's Turbo Silver and Red. Pics soon I hope.

I will leave this here, as it shows the Slingshot throwing a tall rooster tail in the rainwater in a tunnel (and this is the actual Slingshot I purchased being shot on video by my daughter from my wife and her following me bringing the Slingshot home).

Polaris Slingshot Rooster Tail

• Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity". Major NOTE in rain/wet roads ALWAYS turn off the ABS and Traction Control.... Push and hold the lower button 'center' until lights come on. (key on).

• Welcome,

Just FYI, if you are not already aware, the earlier SlingShot's had quite a list of recalls that needed to be completed, if you have not checked you probably will want to do so.

https://www.polaris.com/en-us/on-road-recalls/

And also, something else that you may not be aware of, there are two versions of the 2016 model year, the earlier 2016, and the later 2016.5, there are some significant differences. It sounds like that you have the later 2016.5 model?

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Bill

• Welcome to the best forum for Slingshot info. There are a ton of knowledgeable people here always willing to help. The DIY section also has some really great stuff in it as well. If you ever have any questions feel free to reach out!

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Thanks all. I'll definitely check out the Slingshots Storm the Mountains event.

I have already checked recalls and 9 to the 10 are done. I need to have the battery fuse location one done (the most recent one).

How would I know if it is the 2016.5 model for sure?

Thanks all! Looking forward to the Slingshot experience!

• Welcome, not to far down the road from you. Live just off the 417 exit on I-40, Dandridge/Jefferson City, TN. First exit from I-81 S.

If you come this way to ride sometime, give me a shout on conversation mode. 123hotdog lives in Bristol. Good guy. Comes this way some to ride twisties.

• Welcome,

There are a couple ways. I had a 2016 built in July 2015 and one of the early 2016.5's built in Feb 2016 so anything after that is definitely a 2016.5. I'm not sure of the exact date of manufacture that it switched between 2016 to 2016.5, but I'm pretty sure it's close to around the 1st of Jan 2016.

Another way is to see if you have a STOCK heat shield between the exhaust and the passenger foot well. This is not the molded one that wraps around the muffler, but the insulation sheet that mounts to the engine side of the passenger foot well. This is one of the changes made between 2016 and 2016.5 model years.

Not this one:

One that looks like this:

BTW, I asked that same question on The Dark Site and never really got an exact answer.

There is also a color change that happened in 2016.5 but if you've got the Red Pearl, it could be both 2016 or 2016.5. <Edit: I see that you have the Turbo Silver with Red Stripes - definitely a 2016.5 >>

• Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have that heat shield, no red stripes in the seats either.

I haven't seen the silver and red, so I had just assumed it was a modification made by the buyer.

I've attached a pic...

• Another way is to see if you have a STOCK heat shield between the exhaust and the passenger foot well. This is not the molded one that wraps around the muffler, but the insulation sheet that mounts to the engine side of the passenger foot well. This is one of the changes made between 2016 and 2016.5 model years.

This is a picture of our March built 2015, I believe that this is the insulation on the firewall in which you are making reference to? If so, then this heat shield does not appear to be a defining factor in determining the 2016.5 model? (Oh, so not to add confusion, we installed the wrap around muffler shield which did not come originally on our 2015)

Bill

• BTW, I asked that same question on The Dark Site and never really got an exact answer.

The date of this article announcing the release of the 2016 as being February? https://www.prnewswire.com/new…ng-line-up-300219298.html

(Since it references white as a new color, it appears that that this was actually the introduction of the 2016.5, not the 2016?)

And then this thread about the introduction of the 2016.5 is from the same month? https://www.slingshotforums.co…-2016-5-slingshots.11042/

So I believe that chavey2's speculation of January of 2016 as the release date of the 2016.5 model pretty well nails it?

Bill

• In the 2016 model only 2...base gray and red SL... 2016.5 several colors and graphics on hood... 'Slingshot & Graphic around air scoop. Got a picture and any of can tell or check out here... Polaris Slingshot Timeline History – All Model Years & Colors (slingmods.com)