back to black?

• my roll hoops on my 2016 are starting to get areas where the black anodizing has started to wear off and the bare aluminum is starting to show. I know that many people here have removed the hoops and had them powder coating, but I am wondering if there is something simpler that can be done to restore the black - - has anyone here tried anything that they have found can restore or at least improve this?

I have seen products like this - Casey Aluminum Black

has anyone tried anything like this?

thanks

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I painted my roll hoops…..twice now.

Prep was simple since the surface smooth. Wipe down with denatured alcohol.

First time I used rattle can Rustoleum high performance enamel. Three light dusting coats with 15 minute dry time between. Followed by 2 heavier coats. I let that dry for 2 days. I followed up with a gloss clearcoat from Duplicolor. Two light coats, followed by one heavy.

Results were very good. Durability…..so so. Wind friction would dull it a bit. But, hand oils from leaning on it would wear down the clear.

So, attempt 2.0

Same Rustoleum base coat.

For clear, I used a 2 part epoxy spray gloss clearcoat from Spraymax. This paint is absolutely amazing. Once you crack the activator, you have about 48 hours of using the can. After clearcoat, I wait about 2 days for it to cure and the surface is unbelievably strong. Wind, hand oils….nothing seems to dull the finish. Also, it is UV resistant.

This is the stuff I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-R…es-3680061/dp/B0043B7UQY/

For your project, there are other options. You can paint it the color of your choosing and clear it with this stuff. It is available in gloss, matte, semi-matte.

It you want to keep black and be done with just a couple coats, it’s available in black gloss, matte, or satin. Just search Amazon for “2k spray max black”

The stuff can handle some heat to. I used it on a couple valve covers and it held up perfectly.

uO0pn2URzfbM5cPSSQmxgeXWPEzAGwgzzpBG7nZYC_ruIV-T2lC6i22dS_IQd2b_nQWk0eTdykAxRdyYyO7zcJiVFdBRT8H-mtv_bVwaMQbHQ8EXQAL3o33m6LeOykuVTaESkQUQe5vHMeKGSS7dFhsd2gMH4peXV-CTMqalC49--TlM12TK9s6HD6Z63hE4Pp7ascrO3WALSlp-rOgM-ezehDSGsl8YbC_X0wxRou4jxaKV1As3zIWOW_q0Y82euGEfKTgfqbMVdkZdAjOPo27dSa0om0wsv651o6NOScxMB2krSymW92mafBN5kjH5F_JzwZfj9dEDLDL5F3RS4pdDIWWejpkzrPmJ9fAnBFSQL2tow3cUYOwVRY1aQ42YTjAioxlTahZVbkl7B-Y0Tur3eDn5GQl-w2F8BDiC3_zlPyGHlrqU9QjZkcQWmws81bST6P9yGK5C9pJQ2tpNxCObklb7Iwbx26oxWzurxkBhh2puOPnn17Aq1ir2U7gJwH87BiWIPu4tOXnyeKuhKi-ymRhYgKFj0Jz1rHpLNXvAaHESSP2_kjN_3yl2Y0ANrAUl2x2l1LHRTQEUIxJOBwWgnlfa61xsKe1MHXa2fI4dFcqLVQjT__-utsRayXRf74JZsbuvVLkmuYmPO3QDGUonkxiSywB-Weah6e7i5g8mVMs9JuOGYAhbuXo_mgh3IJNP-dvmjs3cH3anNVRZIHaf=w764-h1694-no?authuser=0

• This is the best DIY option and the closest to a professional coating. Powder coat and professional painting are basically the only options that would be better.

Any rattle can frame paint or single stage paint won't last any longer than the coating Polaris put on them.

When life knocks you down, calmly get back up, smile, and very politely say, "Is that all you've got?

• The paint and prep is a lot of messing around for something you're probably going to have to redo at some point. I learned that the hard way when I painted my roll bar. Personally I would take them of and go drop them off at a powder coating place. Powder is a lot more durable. If I were to do a project like that I would probably charge $100-$200. There are a lot of little nooks and crannies where the faraday cage effect might make it a little challenging but for a good coater using good equipment it won't be an issue. Buy once cry once. You will likely not have to ever have it done again. I powder coated my roll bar 4 years ago and it still looks new.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• The paint and prep is a lot of messing around for something you're probably going to have to redo at some point. I learned that the hard way when I painted my roll bar. Personally I would take them of and go drop them off at a powder coating place. Powder is a lot more durable. If I were to do a project like that I would probably charge $100-$200. There are a lot of little nooks and crannies where the faraday cage effect might make it a little challenging but for a good coater using good equipment it won't be an issue. Buy once cry once. You will likely not have to ever have it done again. I powder coated my roll bar 4 years ago and it still looks new.

Easy piece to shoot, just powder coat the roll bars hot, they have a lot of thermal mass and no worry about the cage effect, have done it a couple times.