Sunglasses - polarized or not?

• Thinking about getting new lenses for the Oakley's that I use when riding my slingshot - all of my current lenses in different pairs are non polarized, but I was thinking about trying the "black iridium polarized" as they seem to be the darkest lenses they offer at only 9% light transmission - - In looking around I have seen several posts that say polarized glasses should never be used on a motorcycle because the polarization can make it harder to see the glare off ow wet spots and oil in the road - they also point out that it can cause weird rainbow spots in the windshield - I look over my double bubbles so this doesnt really concern me, but not seeing standing water or oil does - - - so anyway I figured I would ask my friends here - - what are your views on polarized sunglasses when riding? - - a bad thing? or do big deal?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I use polarized sunglasses. I use Costa, revo or Maui Jim glass lens. I like the clarity of glass lens and cheap plastic polarized glasses may not cut the mustard. I know a lot of guys would never spend over $200 for sunglasses but I protect my eyes since I’m in the sunshine year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• I use polarized sunglasses. I use Costa, revo or Maui Jim glass lens. I like the clarity of glass lens and cheap plastic polarized glasses may not cut the mustard. I know a lot of guys would never spend over $200 for sunglasses but I protect my eyes since I’m in the sunshine year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ride 90% of the time with a 1/2 helmet and as such I want my sunglasses to provide impact protection just in case a rock or something else were to fly up and hit me - I have had and love Maui Jim glasses with the glass lenses and they are great at the beach and many other places, but I wouldn't want a glass lens when riding - just doesn't have the protection I want - this is why I went with the Oakley all of their lenses provide a very high level of impact protection and this makes me feel much more comfortable on the road - I figure if Oakly is good enough for special forces and other military applications then it should be good enough for me - - and as to the $$ - you are right my eyes are worth it

I hate polarized sunglasses but know I am in the minority. Too many years behind a helmet visor, plexi windshields on bikes and boats, and having to look over them to read displays. Certain window tints become opaque not allowing you to see in, and many windshields turn in to pride flags. Just don't like the way they alter the view. Instead I get Crizal coating put on everything I wear.

Only the M Frame Oakleys meet the Z87.1 standard to be included on the US Military APEL.

APEL Poster 2019_FINAL.pdf

.... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• yes this is true, but if you do some research you will find this is not because the lenses on the other glasses are any less impact resistant, the difference is that the M Frame itself is also certified - to carry the Z87.1 certification and marking, both the frame and lens have to be tested and certified which cost money. With their non industrial safety glasses or SI glasses they dont bother certifying the frames even though the lenses are made out of the same material as their safety glasses and the military glasses - they do however note on the individual information for their glasses that the lenses are impact resistant - here is a screen shot from their website showing the Prizm Road Black lenses that I am currently using - note the upper right corner - "Oakley lenses designed and tested under extreme high mass and high velocity circumstances to ensure uncompromising protection across a wide range of demanding conditions."

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I been wearin Ray Bans for 40 years ridin motorcycles and now the Slingshot. I love my polarized Wayfarer II’s but retired my Aviators cause Joe Biden ruined that for me 😂😂

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• I wish I could wear these not prescription sunglasses but I need prescription and bifocals to correct my astigmatisms. I have had prescription sunglasses before but it is a pain to carry two pair of glasses. These new glasses I just are the ones that change but even getting the ones that get darkest they are not like a good pair of dark sunglasses. I protection is very important. I have had cataract surgery on both eyes and corneal transplants on both eyes. I got to take care of these eyes.

If the music is to loud you are to old.

• I wear prescription polarized sunglasses. Tried some kind of Photo-Greys, but modern vehicle windshields prevent them from darkening, thus my choice of polarized sunglasses. My only real complaint is places that use LCD TVs in a vertical position means the polarization keeps me from reading the displays unless I turn my head 90 degrees so the polarization matches or if I remove the sunglasses.

• Polarized lenses are all I have ever had. However I will probably never buy them again. If you don't have the lenses lined up perfectly with a screen or Guage u won't be able to see it. LED and LCD screens have a polarized filter that must match up with the glass lenses. If your sitting off axis from the display you are loosing brightness and picture.

Here is a way you can check to see if you have polarized lenses. If you have radio in your car that has a screen that looks like a computer screen this should work. Go out to the car and take your glasses off and turn them 90 degrees. Try looking thru them at the screen. The screen should disappear as you rotate the glasses 90 degrees.

Also polarized glasses will show the tempering of the safety glass in a car. You may have noticed itand never knew why you were able to see the streaks in the side or rear window in a vehicle.

There is one condition that I would definitely recommend polarized lenses... In snow. The polarization will act like microscopic mini blinds and block scattered light from hitting your eyes from every direction.

I guess if you don't need to see things like a screen or lcd gauge the it would be better to wear polarized lenses. However if you get them and can't see things you normally can without them on then you know why now.

• Sorry, probably should have said “when I did some research I found” followed by “please feel free to correct me if this is wrong”

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I'm ready to buy some non-polarized lenses for mine as I have issues seeing the screen in mine and the rainbows on the windscreen.

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• just found another interesting link about Oakley Sunglasses Safety Glasses USA - 10 reasons to buy Oakley sunglasses - - here is reason number 3

3. All Oakley glasses are tested to exceed the most rigorous high-velocity impact tests of ANSI. However, only the Industrial M-Frame and the SI M-Frame are Z78.1 stamped for safety compliance. The M-Frames also pass the criteria of Canada’s CSA standard

but anyway back to my original question I am coming to the conclusion that for riding my slingshot non polarized is probably a better choice - better visibility of screens and gauges, no rainbow patterns on windscreens or mirrors and better visibility of standing water and or oil in the road all seem to bee pretty compelling to me

• I need to see if Oakley can do prescription lenses.

they can. on most of their sunglasses styles when you on the page you the style you like there will be a large button in the upper right where you can select prescription lenses and select your options - here is a screen shot from the Flak 2.0 screen - you can see the big blue button right above the "add to bag" button - - I will add that when I checked it out I found it gets danged costly when I added single vision to this exact pair of glasses the price went up to $450

I really only need my prescription glasses for night driving so I passed on that option

If you need prescription sunglasses Wiley X is a good alternative to Oakley with many styles being ANSI Z87.1 certified and typically around half the price.

https://www.framesdirect.com/prescription-sunglasses/wiley-x

Pricing shown is just the frames, you need to build them for a total.

IMO the $10 upgrade for the "DIGIFORCE WX Digital Surfacing" is worth is due to no loss of the prescription in peripheral vision on curved lenses.

....nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• @Edward Neal Thanks I missed that. $450 is a lot but the prescription glasses I am wearing was $650 but about half covered by insurance. I have the Corrective Lenses Required on my drivers license so need the sunglasses to be prescription. When I renew my license I am going to try to get that taken off as with the IOLs in my eyes I am 20/30. I have used the fit over sunglasses for the last 40 years. I would just like something with a little style.

If the music is to loud you are to old.