Welter Performance

• I don't normally post technical things but Welter Performance who is a Sponsor on this site a Sponsor on my sy site and App and a vendor at all three Slingshot events put on by Slingshotroadsters has a fabulous new twin exhaust.I first saw it at his site at SSITS.Two of the rideleaders plus another young lady had it installed and raved about it.I finally succumbed and they installed the last one on my Sling.I was so busy I did not get much chance to ride except at The Poker Run but since being home have ridden a lot.All I can say is one of the best mods I have on my Sling.Looks great,finishes the back off. Sounds fabulous.With the sound going out the back you can hear yourself talk.
    Last but not least am getting 3 miles more to the gallon.I believe they are developing one to go with the Turbo.

• I installed the same Welter performance exhaust after I had it ceramic coated. I also love the way it looks and the way it sounds however I am having some issues. I am getting heavy exhaust fumes inside my cabin area. I also have the F4 + 5 window installed, a Twist Dynamics top, and the alpha carbon fiber wing. I believe the taller windshield is creating a vacuum in my cabin area and the wing is pushing the air up off of the back of the slingshot creating a vacuum under the back where the exhaust is. This vacuum is causing the exhaust to roll over the deck right into my cabin area. It almost makes my slingshot unbearable to drive. This really sucks because of the price of the parts and having it coated I have about $2,200 invested in this modification and I'm thinking I almost have to take it off.

Update: Conducted some tests, here is what I discovered. I made a temporary wind screen and attached to the roll hoops, on test drive fumes were reduced at lower speeds and nonexistent at normal speed. Removed the windscreen reinstalled the factory windshield, fumes are gone. Guess I will run the lower windshield until my windscreen comes in.

• The only fumes I had was traveling between 25 - 40 mph, and that was only once in a while. Now I have a wind restrictor on and have no fumes. Love my exhaust and wind restrictor

@Shatneyman....you've got me wondering if my D-Mod wings might help eliminate or minimize the exhaust fume issue by introducing a positive airflow back there? I'm thinking about the Welter dual exhaust for my turbo. The wife is already complaining about exhaust fumes from the new Alpha exhaust, but if the Welter has the same issue, I ain't spending the $$ and still have the issue I'm hoping to eliminate...........

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @Shatneyman....you've got me wondering if my D-Mod wings might help eliminate or minimize the exhaust fume issue by introducing a positive airflow back there? I'm thinking about the Welter dual exhaust for my turbo. The wife is already complaining about exhaust fumes from the new Alpha exhaust, but if the Welter has the same issue, I ain't spending the $$ and still have the issue I'm hoping to eliminate...........

your right,... never thought about your wing idea, that might be the thing that helps me. Agree that it might push air down low and might not have any effect with the dual setup.

• I installed the same Welter performance exhaust after I had it ceramic coated. I also love the way it looks and the way it sounds however I am having some issues. I am getting heavy exhaust fumes inside my cabin area. I also have the F4 + 5 window installed, a Twist Dynamics top, and the alpha carbon fiber wing. I believe the taller windshield is creating a vacuum in my cabin area and the wing is pushing the air up off of the back of the slingshot creating a vacuum under the back where the exhaust is. This vacuum is causing the exhaust to roll over the deck right into my cabin area. It almost makes my slingshot unbearable to drive. This really sucks because of the price of the parts and having it coated I have about $2,200 invested in this modification and I'm thinking I almost have to take it off.

I was looking into this as well but read on their own website that it will (without question) cause fumes in the cabin if you have the +5 (I have the same setup you do @Bama_SS). I'm wondering if maybe installing some baker wings would help. I was still waiting for the Alpha Turbo version but after confirming with their own website that fumes would be an issue, I've stopped looking at it. By the way, you'll have the same issue with rain. It will get sucked back into the cabin from the rear of the SS.
    At any rate, They really do complete the back of the Sling and before you toss the whole system out, try some baker wings or something to change the airflow. Perhaps it'll save your investment. If you still get rid of them, let me know where you toss them, I'll go pick up the pieces and give it a try :P:thumbsup: . Hope it works out for you.

• I installed the same Welter performance exhaust after I had it ceramic coated

Bama brother, could you post a pic of your setup with the ceramic coating?? I like the Welter duals, but am having a hard time warming up to the pipes traveling up the backside. I thought if they could be coated black, it might look better.

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• @jorgebri60, I called dibs first! I'll change the windshield... Thinking dark double bubbles or a shorter dark shield would look nicer anyway... Not sure what f4 I have...

meh!!! :P . They won't work with the Alpha Turbo. Lets see if he can get them to work for him first. Changing the airflow into the cabin somehow without losing the benefit of the +5 should be experimented with first. I'ma try that anyway just to see if I can cool the cabin a bit in the heat. Don't know what's worse, the sun beating down on me the entire time in the sling or the feeling of suffocation while standing still when riding in the hot sun. I still have the stock windshield I keep saying I'm going to put on during the hot months, but I've almost made it the whole summer with the +5. Ehhh!, we'll see. Hope @Bama_SS can find a solution. Das alot of green he spent on Dem there pipes.

• Shatneyman
    I see in your picks that your exhaust is low, down by the swing arm. Mine comes up by the license plate which may account for the extend of fumes I am getting. I like the idea of adding D-mod fins and a wind restrictor to see if that helps. I hate the idea of changing my windshield back to the original height.

ConnMan
    I will post picks this evening when I get home.

Moejay
    My F4+5 windshield isn't adjustable so I may need to reinstall my factory one to test the issue with the fumes.

If all else fails guess I will just remove the Y pipe and install a turndown pipe right where the exhaust exits by the battery box.