New Hahn/QA1 Bolt-In Spherical Coilovers!

• Had them installed at Maggie yesterday. Bill did a great job given that I had a tow hitch and Corbin bags. I wanted stock height and the measurements were dead on. Rode 220 miles today including the dragon. Major improvement. Greatly improved stability and reaction quicker. Was a bit stiff at the 9 setting. Midway I backed off to 6 (single adjustable) and that seems to be the sweet spot. Excellent value.

• Mine showed up today as promised, but with no instructions... Just cool stickers. Hoping to install this weekend.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• what need instructions for?

remove stock shocks
    replace new shocks with same bolts
    ride

compression and rebound adjustments are solely based on the ride style that you prefer. Its 0 with my wife in the sling and 10-12 with me in it alone.

• Installed... I had no instructions to set it up to match stock so I left it alone. Rears were a breeze. Fronts are a bitch as they are just a tad too long to get both ends in. Put the lower in first then had a friend bounce on the tire so I could get the upper in. Don't know if there was some trick? Did a quick ride and much nicer then stock

• Bill installed mine here in MV so not sure but the front looked easy. He measured the stock height, set the shock height, then installed (with the SS jacked up), then measured again and adjusted the height with the two spanners. The rear was a little difficult. We dropped the back panel and I put the bolt through the hole in the storage box while Bill lifted the shock into place. I then worked the bolt into the top of the shock. Bill then lowered the SS, checked height, then raised and readjusted. Easy to adjust height when it is off the ground.

• So I had the same install issue with the front. Since I was leaving the next day for Maggie Valley, I just put the stock front shock back on and packed the trailer. Saw Bill up here and told him about the shock being too long. Turns out the issue was jacking up just one side of the front at a time. You need to do both. Why? Sway bars! Something that we don't have on motorcycles. Never occurred to me. Needless to say, Bill installed them for me (for a charge). Only driven them about 7 miles to get an initial setup. So far so good. The Tail of the Dragon should help determine their worth tomorrow...

BTW, Bill and his wife are great!!!

• Hey everyone! First, a quick QA1 in the Valley report, complements of all our wonderful customers and superb feedback on the numerous installs we've performed here. Then I will review this thread for individual replies.

Stock Height

We've fine-tuned the pre-setting for stock height, and it goes as follows. For front, we should have 1 3/4" of exposed bright aluminum thread beneath the black spring nuts. For rear, 1". We had sent some sets out at settings of 1 1/4" both front and rear, but these new numbers derived from multiple installs are repeating well, so let's go with them as our starting point.

Install Tips

Record Stock Height

With the machine on a flat surface, measure your stock height (chassis to pavement) at two locations: in the front just ahead of the front lower control arm mount, and in the rear a couple of inches away from the end of the center frame tube on passenger side. Most stock SL's are 5 1/2" front, 6" rear with this method. Base models will be about 1/2" to 3/4" lower. Record yours so you can use the spring height adjustment to return to it, or to vary from it (if so desired).

Front

As @Speedr117 mentioned, we have determined that it's much easier to jack up both front wheels and replace both coilovers at once. This allows both lower control arms to relax fully, as their movement is to some degree constrained by the swaybar. I prefer to put the bottom bolt in first, then swing the top into position and then place the top bolt. Don't tighten anything yet.

With one new coilover in, the other can be installed simply by using your body weight to push down on the tire to flex the suspension/ sway bar slightly to get the top mount swung into place. As in the first coilover, install bottom first.

Tighten all four mounting nuts to the point where all "slack" is out of the bolt/nut. Now, let machine down to ground so that vehicle weight is bearing upon the suspensions. Now final tighten all four bolts. If you use a torque wrench, 35 ft/lbs will do.

Rear

A bit more challenging than the front. There is an access hole in the passenger storage well that allows one to get the 15mm socket on the top bolt. Of course, jack the rear up so that suspension pressure is released first.

While the upper hole in the well does allow one to access the upper bolt with a socket, effectively maneuvering said bolt in and out will require access from the bottom. While one can get one's arm up in there alongside the coilover to reach the bolt, it is a very snug fit. As such, some may prefer to remove the rear plastic panel through which the coilover protrudes, thus gaining excellent access. It's just a handful of screws and clips.

I prefer to mount the top of the rear shock first, then pivot in and install the bottom. Like with the fronts, do not finish torque bolts until you've rested the weight of the machine on the rear suspension.

Setting Height

The included wrenches make this effective and easy. The best advice: take the weight of the vehicle off the spring when you are adjusting, as this reduces the wrenching force required.

Damping Settings

For all types, we start at fully relaxed (knob fully counter-clockwise).

Single Adjustable
    We've found that most riders like to start at about four-five clicks in from fully relaxed. That's a nice street starting setting. Crank it up higher for the twisties, and play around to your heart's content to find the settings that best suit the task at hand.

Double Adjustable
    Start with compression at about three clicks, and rebound at five. Double adjustables require exponentially more experimentation to arrive at capable settings, but are so worth it for the advanced user who can take full advantage of the discrete, independent adjustment of compression and rebound.

Overall, personal preference and machine setup will ultimately dictate which settings best suit you. Experiment liberally.

At first, it's most effective to use larger adjustment attempts, a few clicks at a time, as opposed to a single click. This way, one can establish momentum and direction first, and then fine-tune with single clicks to seal the deal.

Most of all, never forget that you now have an adjustable suspension that you can always re-set as needed to suit the task at hand. A long highway cruise? Go for soft, cushy comfort. A day in the twisties? Turn that damping up! Enjoy the ability to always achieve an optimal feel and grip, and move forever past the limitations of those stock "pogo sticks!"

• A further install tip:

We are finding that the lower stock mounts on the front control arms tend to compress a bit from having been on the stock coilovers. This slightly crimped mount can make it difficult to slide in the new coilover and precision stainless steel mounting bushings we provide. If you encounter this, there is an easy fix. Simply use a prybar to spread each ear of the mounting bracket outward slightly. The prybar end will rest against the head of the bracket's mounting bolt, in between said bolt head and bracket ear. A little pry outward on each, and that lower mount will drop right in.

• A further install tip:

We are finding that the lower stock mounts on the front control arms tend to compress a bit from having been on the stock coilovers. This slightly crimped mount can make it difficult to slide in the new coilover and precision stainless steel mounting bushings we provide. If you encounter this, there is an easy fix. Simply use a prybar to spread each ear of the mounting bracket outward slightly. The prybar end will rest against the head of the bracket's mounting bolt, in between said bolt head and bracket ear. A little pry outward on each, and that lower mount will drop right in.

Bill,

Could you do a picture of the height adjustment? I am a visual guy.