• I dunno, edwardaneal, it appears that quite a bit of unique engineering and thought went into the conception of the SlingShot, though Polaris obviously had to consider costs into producing the SlingShot, to suggest that the SlingShot is a product of being merely slapped together utilizing only lowest bidders is doing Polaris a disservice? I am believing that there is more than just finances behind why Polaris chose a motorcycle tire for the SlingShot.

As far as accessories such as the radio, the buyer always has the choice of purchasing the SlingShot without and installing their own products, do they not? If Polaris had chosen to utilize only higher priced products, what would the final cost be on the showroom floor, and would you have purchased it at that price?

Bill

I like you thoughts on this - and I love my slingshot and hope that Polaris did their best to only use the highest quality products that were available, but considering all of the recalls for things like bad bearings and brake pressure switches and other things I do have my doubts.

Also the kenda is not a motorcycle tire - it is a Kenda Kr20 Kaiser that has been re-branded with the slingshot name - A tire that sells for under $100 and is made in china - that Polaris wants to resell for close to 300 - just because Polaris didnt get the re branded tire certified for use on automobiles does not make it any less of a car tire

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I dunno, edwardaneal, it appears that quite a bit of unique engineering and thought went into the conception of the SlingShot, though Polaris obviously had to consider costs into producing the SlingShot, to suggest that the SlingShot is a product of being merely slapped together utilizing only lowest bidders is doing Polaris a disservice? I am believing that there is more than just finances behind why Polaris chose a motorcycle tire for the SlingShot.

As far as accessories such as the radio, the buyer always has the choice of purchasing the SlingShot without and installing their own products, do they not? If Polaris had chosen to utilize only higher priced products, what would the final cost be on the showroom floor, and would you have purchased it at that price?

Bill

I would agree with that to a point. But dont think for a moment that they didnt cut corners wherever they could! This 2018 base is more expensive than the 2015 base was when it first came out. They had to meet a price point that the public would accept and embrace...they did that and now units are coming out more and more expensive because now they have a following.

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Yes, there is some unique engineering in the Slingshot, but the Polaris bean-counters always seem to have forced the cheapest choice for everything. After seeing them place a full load on the headlight circuit when typical safety design calls for loading a circuit at about 75% max load and then they "protected" the circuit with a breaker set for a higher level than then the circuit was designed to handle. Totally destroyed any misplaced confidence I might have had in Polaris quality over cost decisions.

Actually, the 2015 Base (what I have) and the 2018 Slingshot S are both priced at $19,999, so that is one area where Polaris has tried to maintain cost. The more expensive models are just to grab customer dollars and accordingly over-priced.

• If your dealer is asking $21,500 for the base they are jacking up the price - this is a screen grab from the Polaris web site - as you can see they show the base model S as 19,999

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• When I bought mine after Texas finally allowed their sale, there wasn't any discount to be had. If tat 21,500 price is OTD (taxes & everything) that isn't that bad a price. I originally had an agreed upon price of $22,700 and they gave me my windshield fro free due to having inadvertently used my Slingshot as a demo for 150 miles as they had planned on selling the next one to me, but Poalris told them due to short supply, they wouldn't get another until they sold the one they wanted to use as a demo. My final 22,200 as they charged just under $700 for shipping and setup. Nearby Houston dealers wanted more like $2000 freight/prep at the time and one dealer even wanted a non-refundable deposit on a vehicle they had never even had in stock and no customers had even gotten a chance to sit in. My dealer only wanted $500 as a deposit.

• Interesting, while everybody else were waiting for their ordered slingShot to arrive, off of the showroom floor we purchased our 2015 SL for $25,000 with the cockpit cover, which nobody else seem to have got?
    Bill

Evidently, you also had a dealer who wasn't out to gouge the heck out of its potential customers. After requesting their best Out-the-Door price from local Houston dealers, I felt the offer I went with was a steal. The one requesting a non-refundable deposit on a vehicle customers haven't even seen up close or had a chance to see how well it fits them really got me bent out of shape. I had local dealers flat out lie to me that they had them in stock only to drive there and find nothing at all.

• Evidently, you also had a dealer who wasn't out to gouge the heck out of its potential customers. After requesting their best Out-the-Door price from local Houston dealers, I felt the offer I went with was a steal.

Actually, thank you BKL for making us feel better, for instead of paying $5,000 for the upgraded wheels and red color, (the only things we really wanted), you cut that to only $2,700! ^^

Bill

• Actually, thank you BKL for making us feel better, for instead of paying $5,000 for the upgraded wheels and red color, (the only things we really wanted), you cut that to only $2,700! ^^
    Bill

If your price was OTD, then you definitely got a steal. Even if tax/reg was added to that price, it was still a good deal for a recently introduced vehicle that was selling quickly.

• I dount think Polaris put that much thought into it. Like I said before either kenda's bid came in the lowest or Kenda is the vendor they were already using for their other tire needs. Polaris managed to put just about the crappiest radio made in my SL and I find it hard to believe they put any more care or thought into anything else they outsourced. Price and availability - nothing more

Maybe Polaris set the bar really low for all the parts..and the suppliers obliged...no brainer.no

• Not to beat a dead horse but I just got back from the tire store....

I saw split tread tires clearly marked on the sidewalls....outside ...and inside....so the manufactures do want the split tread tires mounted a certain way...obviously it’s for maximum tire performance.

So running them on one back wheel...what’s inside and what’s outside?

• Not to beat a dead horse but I just got back from the tire store....

I saw split tread tires clearly marked on the sidewalls....outside ...and inside....so the manufactures do want the split tread tires mounted a certain way...obviously it’s for maximum tire performance.

So running them on one back wheel...what’s inside and what’s outside?

OUTSIDE IS THE FACE OF THE WHEEL(PRETTY PART) THE INSIDE IS THE OTHER ONE!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Since you brought it up, I asked my alignment guy about running one split tread tire on the rear and he didn’t recommended it....they are directional.

I’d never do it...

I am NOT REPEAT NOT about to get into a huge tire debate....but YES YOU CAN RUN WHAT YOU CALL A SPLIT TREAD TIRE IN THE BACK!!

Its proper name is Asymmetrical ....it is non directional. They can be run anywhere in any position on any vehicle as long as they are mounted on the wheel properly!!

there are only 4 types tires...truck tires excluding

Symmetrical (mount doesnt matter)
    Asymetrical (inside and outside)
    Directional (read the name figure it out)
    RUN FLAT (can be run on flat at low MPH for 50 miles)

5 if you include drag radial. (ask @rabtech)

Symmetric vs. Asymmetric Tires | TireBuyer | TireBuyer.com

SSREAPER

PS
    Been in the TIRE BUSINESS FOR 25 YEARS!!

Edited once, last by SSREAPER ().