UK_Paul's - Slingshot Build & Other Adventures -

• Wow That's cool @UK_Paul but what type of technology is it ? camera searching for retina recognition, or is it some type of scanner that picks up on emails or cell calls made in the immediate area ? or what ?

OH YES , PROXIMITY BEACONS using your blue tooth and gps locations from your smart phone, the good news is you have to authorize by turning on your Bluetooth and authorizing your phone to give out your gps location, then you can be located by all the different retailers now tracking whose in their stores and when by BLE. (Bluetooth Low energy ) then following up with advertisements and nice personalized emails such as your restaurant experience. of course the key is you have to be within Bluetooth range which is very close , Its a booming new industry as evidenced by even available in your S.S. Radio . But yes different countries are looking to legislate against their beacon transmitter/receivers being able to get your personal info as there are many other reasons you would have Bluetooth on and GPS locating , you may not be consenting to other people being able to find out who you are and where you are without your knowing or authorizing it !

I don,t like it, at least not until such time as your phones are able to remain undetected by beacons unless you have specifically authorized being able to be comunictated with by any beacon, at any time you are within Bluetooth range of one of the beacon transmitters, and you agree that your name , number and location are available to those beacons. Then it would not be an invasion of your privacy as you have authorized it. But until then simply having gps locating on for other reasons like Google maps needs to find a destination from your location, AND BLUETOOTH on , well that may be for your own music listening ability , phone calls etc. No beacon should be able to pull personal info from you without you authorizing it. Just m.h.o.

• OH YES , PROXIMITY BEACONS using your blue tooth and gps locations from your smart phone, the good news is you have to authorize by turning on your Bluetooth and authorizing your phone to give out your gps location, then you can be located by all the different retailers now tracking whose in their stores and when by BLE. (Bluetooth Low energy ) then following up with advertisements and nice personalized emails such as your restaurant experience. of course the key is you have to be within Bluetooth range which is very close , Its a booming new industry as evidenced by even available in your S.S. Radio . But yes different countries are looking to legislate against their beacon transmitter/receivers being able to get your personal info as there are many other reasons you would have Bluetooth on and GPS locating , you may not be consenting to other people being able to find out who you are and where you are without your knowing or authorizing it !

I don,t like it, at least not until such time as your phones are able to remain undetected by beacons unless you have specifically authorized being able to be comunictated with by any beacon, at any time you are within Bluetooth range of one of the beacon transmitters, and you agree that your name , number and location are available to those beacons. Then it would not be an invasion of your privacy as you have authorized it. But until then simply having gps locating on for other reasons like Google maps needs to find a destination from your location, AND BLUETOOTH on , well that may be for your own music listening ability , phone calls etc. No beacon should be able to pull personal info from you without you authorizing it. Just m.h.o.

Huh?

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• don't worry Mitch your info is safe with a flip phone ! The BEACON ADVETIZERS FIGURE THERE,S NO SENSE SPENDING A LOT OF ADVERTISING DOLLARS to reach out to the two of you, well I,m assuming theres still at least one more person in this world with a flip phone !

• don't worry Mitch your info is safe with a flip phone ! The BEACON ADVETIZERS FIGURE THERE,S NO SENSE SPENDING A LOT OF ADVERTISING DOLLARS to reach out to the two of you, well I,m assuming theres still at least one more person in this world with a flip phone !

Yep - @FunCycle

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• You don't need a mullet @MACAWS, you're cool because you're cool. You were cool before your boost also. Now you're just a faster cool.

@UK_Paul is it wi-fi, an app or the cell service that allows random things to text a person that obviously didn't give it a phone number?

Thanks brother - but this place is teaming with COOL!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• @kev
    They say that you have to swith on your Bluetooth to make it work.

Officially that's how it works but, it's not the case. Apple have had the feature automatically activated on the phones and they tried to hide it (they admitted it about 6 months ago) you have to get into the phone features and switch it off. (I don't know how). I believe Android also have it enabled, as I have never signed up to anything from "Wagamamas" or even used their website. The only contact was atanding by the menue outside and tgen sitting across the road for an hour or two. And my tech freinds say I don't need to get people to activate anything to make my radio work (but that is way above my head).

The Bluetooth tech has just taken a giant step forward with Bluetooth 5. It's lower powers and has a much further transmission range now.

These companies don't like us knowing these things. Take the revelation, in the news today that Apple slow down the older phones... and we all believe that its only to save the battery life, just as they say and not to make people buy new ones, to replace the, now, "slow" older models.

All the best, from UK_Paul

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().

• I think you'd have to disable GPS, wifi, and Bluetooth...

Or just not care about privacy... Google knows everything anyway... Seriously... Has anyone checked their "Google activity" when you log into your Google account? Also "timeline" if you have Google maps on your smartphone... Complete maps of your whereabouts, along with pictures if you took any...

• I think you'd have to disable GPS, wifi, and Bluetooth...

Or just not care about privacy... Google knows everything anyway... Seriously... Has anyone checked their "Google activity" when you log into your Google account? Also "timeline" if you have Google maps on your smartphone... Complete maps of your whereabouts, along with pictures if you took any...

Way more complex than that @MiM Google was on the European news the other day, for taking way more info than they would like to have admitted to.

• Way more complex than that @MiM Google was on the European news the other day, for taking way more info than they would like to have admitted to.

My wife just bought one of those google home things - I hate it. I unplug it any time I walk past it. Drives her nuts.
    It just scares the crap out of me that the thing is listening to everything we do. Bad enough I have OnStar in all my cars. No privacy anywhere - except when I flip my phone closed.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I'm all for technology just like to think we should be aware and at our option ! I guess with technologies ill never be quite up to speed. I was doing fine with the first blackberry years ago then I got my first android when they started coming preloaded with apps and took off to train dealers in Europe for two weeks only to find out when i got home those apps running in the background i didnt even know i was using cost me a damn fortune in international data use way back before they had competitive plans for that ! Those batards!! Lol

• Farther Christmas came early today and I received a delivery, from SlingMods.

Red, waterproof, flourmats.
    Ideal for a typical British summer day.

Because you can hose them down.

Edited 3 times, last by UK_Paul ().

• More delays to working on the SlingShot again.

I was sick just after Christmas and when (vioently) vomiting, I burst some blood vessels, at the back of my eyes.
    :cursing:
    A trip into hospital confirmed that I'd probably be blind for a few weeks. Well the vision is now coming back and I can start to see little more now (it was just shadows previously).

GOOD NEWS:
    I'll be able to check out this great forum again.

BAD NEWS:
    You will all now have to listen to me babbling on again.

• So sorry to hear of your illness - but glad you are on the mend
    Look forward to your babbling! :thumbsup:

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I like the good news AND the ‘bad news’ - babble away! :thumbsup: So glad you’re on the mend... :thumbup:
    Hang in there & keep us posted!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014