I have a whining noise in the right angle drive​ (rear end).

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • It all depends on how hard you run your machine, i change mine between 1k-1.5k miles, the main reason i do it is because even at that low mileage it is pretty darn dark and since i am always bouncing it off the rev limiter on every single take off (i love the sweet sound it makes when north of 4k rpms)

      A Mobil 1 gallon + filter is $29.99 at advance auto when they have their sale so pretty cheap piece of mind if you ask me.
      Proud owner of an Ultra Super Duper Faster than Light Red.
    • Neosolidus wrote:

      It all depends on how hard you run your machine, i change mine between 1k-1.5k miles, the main reason i do it is because even at that low mileage it is pretty darn dark and since i am always bouncing it off the rev limiter on every single take off (i love the sweet sound it makes when north of 4k rpms)

      A Mobil 1 gallon + filter is $29.99 at advance auto when they have their sale so pretty cheap piece of mind if you ask me.
      I hope you meant 5 quarts...?!
      Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014
    • Tripod wrote:

      Neosolidus wrote:

      It all depends on how hard you run your machine, i change mine between 1k-1.5k miles, the main reason i do it is because even at that low mileage it is pretty darn dark and since i am always bouncing it off the rev limiter on every single take off (i love the sweet sound it makes when north of 4k rpms)

      A Mobil 1 gallon + filter is $29.99 at advance auto when they have their sale so pretty cheap piece of mind if you ask me.
      I hope you meant 5 quarts...?!
      Sorry i meant it as container not as in quantity the Jug has 1.25 gallons or 5 quarts
      Proud owner of an Ultra Super Duper Faster than Light Red.
    • Neosolidus wrote:

      It all depends on how hard you run your machine, i change mine between 1k-1.5k miles, the main reason i do it is because even at that low mileage it is pretty darn dark and since i am always bouncing it off the rev limiter on every single take off (i love the sweet sound it makes when north of 4k rpms)
      Thanks @Neosolidus that makes sense. With my driving style (so far) I think I'll stick with the 3k interval I'm used to unless or until I feel like I'm abusing it a little more. With only 2k on the clock I'm still kind of babying it - a little. I had a hard time adjusting to a 5k oil change interval on my diesel truck but at 14 qts per I decided that was OK. As you said, oil changes are cheap and easy. Keep her between the ditches brother - your neighbors must love you!
      I've got money I haven't even made yet! :thumbup:
    • SlingLow wrote:

      Neosolidus wrote:

      It all depends on how hard you run your machine, i change mine between 1k-1.5k miles, the main reason i do it is because even at that low mileage it is pretty darn dark and since i am always bouncing it off the rev limiter on every single take off (i love the sweet sound it makes when north of 4k rpms)
      Thanks @Neosolidus that makes sense. With my driving style (so far) I think I'll stick with the 3k interval I'm used to unless or until I feel like I'm abusing it a little more. With only 2k on the clock I'm still kind of babying it - a little. I had a hard time adjusting to a 5k oil change interval on my diesel truck but at 14 qts per I decided that was OK. As you said, oil changes are cheap and easy. Keep her between the ditches brother - your neighbors must love you!
      3k is fine, but probably overkill. Full synthetics hold up better and longer than fossil, so even 5k is conservative. Some manufacturers specify longer intervals, as much as 10k in some cases. However, when doing it yourself, its best not to exceed recommended intervals by too much. No point in giving them a reason to blame poor maintenance should something happen later.

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

      "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
      ― Douglas Adams
    • Gadgeteer wrote:

      SlingLow wrote:

      Neosolidus wrote:

      It all depends on how hard you run your machine, i change mine between 1k-1.5k miles, the main reason i do it is because even at that low mileage it is pretty darn dark and since i am always bouncing it off the rev limiter on every single take off (i love the sweet sound it makes when north of 4k rpms)
      Thanks @Neosolidus that makes sense. With my driving style (so far) I think I'll stick with the 3k interval I'm used to unless or until I feel like I'm abusing it a little more. With only 2k on the clock I'm still kind of babying it - a little. I had a hard time adjusting to a 5k oil change interval on my diesel truck but at 14 qts per I decided that was OK. As you said, oil changes are cheap and easy. Keep her between the ditches brother - your neighbors must love you!
      3k is fine, but probably overkill. Full synthetics hold up better and longer than fossil, so even 5k is conservative. Some manufacturers specify longer intervals, as much as 10k in some cases. However, when doing it yourself, its best not to exceed recommended intervals by too much. No point in giving them a reason to blame poor maintenance should something happen later.
      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      I do mine every 10k and even run track days between those changes and Oil looks good on my end.
    • Really @Jdin mine after 1000-1500 miles of riding is so dark that might as well be petroleum which tells me that there are a lot of contaminants and it is a good idea to change.

      Next one is getting sent to black labs and this will give me a second point of reference as far as to how good it actually still is.
      Proud owner of an Ultra Super Duper Faster than Light Red.
    • Neosolidus wrote:

      Really @Jdin mine after 1000-1500 miles of riding is so dark that might as well be petroleum which tells me that there are a lot of contaminants and it is a good idea to change.

      Next one is getting sent to black labs and this will give me a second point of reference as far as to how good it actually still is.
      I'm having similar results with @Jdin. I changed my oil and filter at approx. 6500 and 13000 and both times the oil was dark, but still slightly translucent. And like Jdin, that included a day of running the track pretty hard.

      If you're getting solid black oil after 1500 I would suspect something is not working properly more likely than hard driving. Possibly filtration (intake air and oil) or excessive wear which is causing larger amounts of particulate than usual (got mods?). Oil testing is a good idea.

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

      "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
      ― Douglas Adams
    • I have a whining noise in the right angle drive​ (rear end).

      Also, if anyone is curious, I've been running Royal Purple 5w30 full synth with a Bosch or K&N filter.

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

      "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
      ― Douglas Adams
    • Neosolidus wrote:

      Really @Jdin mine after 1000-1500 miles of riding is so dark that might as well be petroleum which tells me that there are a lot of contaminants and it is a good idea to change.

      Next one is getting sent to black labs and this will give me a second point of reference as far as to how good it actually still is.

      Gadgeteer wrote:

      Neosolidus wrote:

      Really @Jdin mine after 1000-1500 miles of riding is so dark that might as well be petroleum which tells me that there are a lot of contaminants and it is a good idea to change.

      Next one is getting sent to black labs and this will give me a second point of reference as far as to how good it actually still is.
      I'm having similar results with @Jdin. I changed my oil and filter at approx. 6500 and 13000 and both times the oil was dark, but still slightly translucent. And like Jdin, that included a day of running the track pretty hard.
      If you're getting solid black oil after 1500 I would suspect something is not working properly more likely than hard driving. Possibly filtration (intake air and oil) or excessive wear which is causing larger amounts of particulate than usual (got mods?). Oil testing is a good idea.

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

      I would send your oil out for inspection.
      m.blackstone-labs.com/WhyOilAnalysis

      I agree with @Gadgeteer
    • Jdin wrote:

      I would send your oil out for inspection.
      m.blackstone-labs.com/WhyOilAnalysis

      I agree with @Gadgeteer
      I sent a previous oil which I used for 3k but my sample was possibly contaminated then forgot on the one after that.

      I am planning on sending this one and making sure that I don't screw it up.

      I use the Mobil 1 full synthetic (non extended one) and M1 filter.
      Proud owner of an Ultra Super Duper Faster than Light Red.
    • Neosolidus wrote:

      I use the Mobil 1 full synthetic (non extended one) and M1 filter.
      .

      Standard Mobil1 "synthetic" is only a class III and is a chemically cracked petroleum base, not allowed to be labeled as synthetic in Europe ...

      The Extended Performance Mobil 1 is a class IV built on a fully synthetic base so you might want to try it if your analysis comes back weird ...

      .......... nerd-squared

      .
      :REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......
    • Orangeman wrote:

      Neosolidus wrote:

      I use the Mobil 1 full synthetic (non extended one) and M1 filter.
      .

      Standard Mobil1 "synthetic" is only a class III and is a chemically cracked petroleum base, not allowed to be labeled as synthetic in Europe ...

      The Extended Performance Mobil 1 is a class IV built on a fully synthetic base so you might want to try it if your analysis comes back weird ...

      .......... nerd-squared

      .
      This is the first I heard of this? Do you have further reading info about mobile 1 full synth?

      Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    • Prepare to bend those stupid grease needle attachments. They suck and if you grease it from underneath, there isn't a lot of room to pump the grease gun. Another reason to do it from up top if you can.
      Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

    Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.