I know where those Alpha boxes were headed!

• Words elude me at this moment. Im not sure what to say or how to say it. But ill give it my best shot. Please stick with me thru this post because it is going to blow your mind....

I am in Jasper AL working this morning on a MRI machine. And I get a text from my FedEx guy. It read "you have 3 fedex red packages. Where do you want to meet me?" I replied that I would meet him at the local Fedex Depot since I was in Jasper AL already.

So I pull up to the building and walk in the side door and he says for me to back up to the big door. At this point im a little freaked out because I am wondering just what the hell I have ordered that would be shipped red label and why the hell is it so big that I need to back up to the big door....

When he sat the first box down I knew immediately where it was from. I had watched the video like everyone else. So the markings on the box gave it away. It was at that moment that the little kids voice inside my head was screaming so loudly that I actually think people standing around me could hear it! It was screaming "IS THERE REALLY A FREAKING TURBO IN THIS BOX?" I had to finish loading the other boxes and pull out of the way so the driver's could finish loading their trucks. So at that point I still hadn't opened a single box

What had just happened? Was a turbo system really in those boxes? Had Henry really sent the biggest loud mouth on the forums his system? All this was running thru my head as I was getting on the interstate.

I was about to wreck getting to a stopping spot so that I could open the freaking boxes. So I pulled into a Shell gas station to get some gas and started opening boxes. I'll let yall see what I found.

He did send me a turbo system. I am guessing at this moment it was to show me (and everyone that reads my post) just how strong his system really is. It is pretty slick marketing on his part. If his system is as awesome as he says then I can only say great things. If it sucks you guys will see that also in the videos and dyno reading. He must have a pretty good idea that it's going to make some serious power.....

So I'm getting my ass to the house right now so that I can unpack the other items. Let's just see what else the insane bunch at Alpha have sent me to try to break...

I have a feeling this thread is about to get some views....

• It's about to go down. Only @rabtech can get 500+ ponies out of the two most popular turbos on the market.

Side note: I sense a raffle for whichever turbo comes in second. It may be time for an official charity of slingshotinfo.com.

And @Slunglow you're not getting a gently used turbo out of this one.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• It's about to go down. Only @rabtech can get 500+ ponies out of the two most popular turbos on the market.

Side note: I sense a raffle for whichever turbo comes in second. It may be time for an official charity of slingshotinfo.com.

No, not only Rabtech lol

But only Rabtech posted a dyno run so it will be interesting.

My main issue is that without fuel delivery modifications, his engine is already at max and not because of the turbo kit.

I hope Rab will have the patience to swap fuel pumps on his current kit and re running a dyno pull before swapping the kits.

The engine we have can deal with approx 600hp, but he is still on stock valve springs and I would worry about possible valve floating if he gets to 20 psi or more.

I swapped my valve springs for zzp springs to make sure it could handle more than 20 psi.

Also the plastic manifold (on mine) cracked at 18 psi, so in order to isolate the power to the actual kits, the manifold needs to be swapped for aluminum to handle the boost.

Vi Engineered Turbo (V-Mount)
    Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    Assault Hub / Steering wheel
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    Cipher Race Seats and 4 point harness
    XO Luxury Verona 20x12 Toyo R888 315/35r20, 19x9.5 Toyo R888 265/35R19
    and more...

• This is going to be fun to see :)

Let me know when we need to get the dyno warmed back up to do the comparison on this.

As for valve springs - heavier valve springs are used if you are planning on revving the engine higher than around 7400RPM, then the valves will start to float and the heavier springs become useful. The stock valve springs in the 2.4L are the exact same part number as the 2.0L turbo and those valve springs easily handle 30psi at RPM ranges below 7400RPM. The downside of using heavier valve springs is that they put more stress on the timing chain and the rest of the valvetrain though.

• This is going to be fun to see :)

Let me know when we need to get the dyno warmed back up to do the comparison on this.

As for valve springs - heavier valve springs are used if you are planning on revving the engine higher than around 7400RPM, then the valves will start to float and the heavier springs become useful. The stock valve springs in the 2.4L are the exact same part number as the 2.0L turbo and those valve springs easily handle 30psi at RPM ranges below 7400RPM. The downside of using heavier valve springs is that they put more stress on the timing chain and the rest of the valvetrain though.

good explanation, thanks!

While on the subject, would heavier springs impact the Variable valve timing if it puts extra resistance on the cams?

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

LMAO I'd like to get a deal on a gently used DDM forged motor but it seems no one is into "gently using" these beasts. :00008040::00008172:

• How much HP does the base DDM forged engine generate vs the stock engine?

Would be interested in understanding the baseline / starting point.

There are a number of steps one could take between base DDM engine and @rabtech's PED (performance enhancment devices) laced motor.

• @Live-a-Little!

Forging an engine in itself doesn't produce more power. The anount of air and fuel you cram into it does. So no, by itself the engine would be about the same as the oem engine.

Being forged lets you push more boost into it and that's where its "more powerful" without ending up in pieces.

Forged LE9
    DDM Works Fuel Rail
    RRR Oil Catchcan
    UPLOK + UPGUARD
    DDM Works short shifter
    PRP Shifter Boot
    and more...

• Before I say anything about this system. I want to make sure this doesn't turn into a "Mine is better than yours" thread. I have ran the Hahn system proudly for over 1 1/2 years. IT HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN.... And it has produced some staggering results. But that doesn't mean that no one can make something as good or better. I am going to review this system as honestly and as detailed as I did for Hahn. We can all see it together thru the pictures that I am posting and finally thru the videos of it running and being dynoed. SO don't shoot the messenger. Henry sent this to me for a reason. It was because he knew that I loved to review products with as much detail as possible. And I love to take some great pictures of these installs. So now you will all get to see what it takes to actually switch over to an Alpha, (if you wanted to) You have to remember that it wont be like buying a whole turbo. There are a few pieces that will interchange... Such as the Wastegate, Blow Off Valve, and Injectors... And As I go I will see what else needs to be changed.

And one last thing that I wanted to mention before I get into reviewing these parts......,,,, Its an open forum,... Just like the message board at you local Walmart. Anyone can review or post details about their systems on here.... Who knows,,,,Maybe the other turbo vendors are about to release something that some other member will review on here..

• I guess everyone has figured out that I'm home now and have some photos of this stuff. AGAIN,,, Words can't really describe some of these components... I can't believe that some of this stuff is real. It looks like jewelry its so refined. I honestly wasn't expecting to see this kind of metalwork. That isn't supposed to mean that I thought it was bad before. I just never had pictured it being this sexy. Yep , I said the sexy word.

I want to give this system an honest evaluation with lots of detailed pictures. I think I will start with the manifold. I had always had a bad taste in my mouth about hand fabricated headers being used on a turbo in such a tight space. I have had all kinds of headers and they are notorious for leaking, twisting, and heating up in certain spots more than others. i have tried ceramic coating and jet hot coating and they never seem to work as flawless as a cast manifold. That was one of the things I liked about my current turbo system. It had a cast log style manifold and it made me happy,..

Henry has made what appears to be some sort of Medusa hair looking hybrid manifold. It has this thick ass heavy plate that bolts to the engine and then it has tightly twisted header pipes that seem to be thick also. And at the other end he did the same heavy plate to bolt to the turbo. Yes,,, This makes me happy...... Because now I can have hand made headers that have some of the beefiest flange plates I have ever seen. And they are true and straight as a razors edge..... And look at the collector... It is some of the smoothest stuff I have seen. Im sure Henry will chime in and give more technical details. But ill do my best till he does.