Anyone Have Trouble with Corbin Saddle Bags Leaking??

• A simple search of posts "on either side" will reveal a pattern of substandard quality control on these bags. Any purchaser of these does so at his/her own peril. I personally decided not to go with them (although they are quite hot looking), and went with other compensatory mods.

I know many told me to stay away from Corbin bags but I did not listen

• I seriously don't want to hijack this thread with tangantal remarks. But for anyone reading this looking for an alternative to Corbin Bags, I have ordered from slingmods.com the Alpha Luggage Rack system that mount to the back of the rollbars, combined with the PRP soft luggage bags that fit the racks perfectly. They are huge, and hold a lot more than the Corbin Bags. In addition, I am going with the Welter Dual Exhaust that exits the rear of the SS that will tidy up the appearance of the rear end. Once again, sorry for the digression.

I bought my Slingshot May 22 this year. I also got the Corbin bags, and while I normally research expensive purchases like this, they had a set mounted on a Sling in the back and I loved the look. If I could got back, I'd have went with the Alpha system, and a nice fender for the rear. Would have been cheaper and more functional, and while maybe not look as good, would be less hassle. When I left the dealer, I had both lids pop open on the trip home. After much adjustment, shimming, messing with the post (they had over 3/16" of washers stacked up to make it work, and the thread is only a tad over 1/4 inch... and yes, it ended up pulling the thread and popping out), I finally have them so they will shut and have stayed shut for the last 3k miles. I've spent 3 months (bags were 8 days old when issue appeared) trying to get Corbin to back the bags on another warranty issue thru their website, and finally just called them to give them an earful. They told me that I wasn't their customer, and I would need to go thru the place I purchased the bags at. Customer service there is a joke. I mean seriously, they couldn't take time to reply to me to tell me that after sending in a long description with pictures (twice) showing my issue? I do have a slight leak on the passenger side bag if out in heavy rain. I've had to shim the latches out, so that the lid will hold and not open up on it's own. Likely that has cause my small leak. More important to me that the lid stays shut. As for shimming the post, I don't recommend that. The thread is short enough as is, so I used locktite blue on mine and just used a large adjustable to tweak (bend) the "L" shaped latch to clear the post.

Sorry for the rant and long post. This is something I'd been thinking about posting here but hadn't as of yet as my dealer is contacting them as of two days ago. Here is my issue currently. The bags are thermoformed. That is a heated injection process, and I think my drivers bag was one of the first runs and wasn't hot enough. I have "blistering", looks like the bags have hives. Here's two pics of the blisters, and the pic of the massive amount of washers my dealer thought would fix the post issue.

• I bought my Slingshot May 22 this year. I also got the Corbin bags, and while I normally research expensive purchases like this, they had a set mounted on a Sling in the back and I loved the look. If I could got back, I'd have went with the Alpha system, and a nice fender for the rear. Would have been cheaper and more functional, and while maybe not look as good, would be less hassle. When I left the dealer, I had both lids pop open on the trip home. After much adjustment, shimming, messing with the post (they had over 3/16" of washers stacked up to make it work, and the thread is only a tad over 1/4 inch... and yes, it ended up pulling the thread and popping out), I finally have them so they will shut and have stayed shut for the last 3k miles. I've spent 3 months (bags were 8 days old when issue appeared) trying to get Corbin to back the bags on another warranty issue thru their website, and finally just called them to give them an earful. They told me that I wasn't their customer, and I would need to go thru the place I purchased the bags at. Customer service there is a joke. I mean seriously, they couldn't take time to reply to me to tell me that after sending in a long description with pictures (twice) showing my issue? I do have a slight leak on the passenger side bag if out in heavy rain. I've had to shim the latches out, so that the lid will hold and not open up on it's own. Likely that has cause my small leak. More important to me that the lid stays shut. As for shimming the post, I don't recommend that. The thread is short enough as is, so I used locktite blue on mine and just used a large adjustable to tweak (bend) the "L" shaped latch to clear the post.
    Sorry for the rant and long post. This is something I'd been thinking about posting here but hadn't as of yet as my dealer is contacting them as of two days ago. Here is my issue currently. The bags are thermoformed. That is a heated injection process, and I think my drivers bag was one of the first runs and wasn't hot enough. I have "blistering", looks like the bags have hives. Here's two pics of the blisters, and the pic of the massive amount of washers my dealer thought would fix the post issue.

I might be following you soon !!! Don't think I can wait for the doors to open and leaks to happen. Too much for me

Edited 4 times, last by Sling Brian: Can you tell me what you do with the bolt holes left after you take off the Corbin bags? ().

• I love the looks of the Corbin, but with the problems, no way I'll buy one. Mine is still going strong and only cost me $10 bucks for the metal frame. I can use any saddle bags on the market. With the rain cover on, everything stays nice and dry.

• Where are you able to get the thicker seals from for the bags?

Hi @toons2,
    I talked to our Parts Dept and he said that he only ordered some additional (regular size) seals for our customer. The customer himself must have ordered thicker ones. I can tell you that neither did the trick, though. :thumbdown:

However, there are a bunch of "fixes" in this thread alone. I hope someone can give you the advice and help you need to get your issues fixed! And, if we can help you get something ordered or offer any helpful info, please don't hesitate to reach out!

• I love the looks of the Corbin, but with the problems, no way I'll buy one. Mine is still going strong and only cost me $10 bucks for the metal frame. I can use any saddle bags on the market. With the rain cover on, everything stays nice and dry.

Can you explain the frame you built? Good solution

• Boy did this thread blow up. No question this is the last item I'll ever buy from Corbin. Turns out they're desperately trying to sell the business and get out. Until they do I guess they're just happy to run it in to the ground.

• I am sorry to say that I deleted all my very nasty but honest comments
    I will get rid of these bags soon and move on. Best to take the hit soon because I can not tolerate junk...especially paying high prices for it

• For all those not satisfied with the Corbins: If you used a credit card, place it in dispute. They will have to take it back and you should get credit. I have done this a few times with AX, and I always got credit. I even got credit for a 14k enclosed trailer for the SS that didn't work out.

• For all those not satisfied with the Corbins: If you used a credit card, place it in dispute. They will have to take it back and you should get credit. I have done this a few times with AX, and I always got credit. I even got credit for a 14k enclosed trailer for the SS that didn't work out.

Yeah.... unfortunately no ... Corbin has a written no returns/refunds policy clearly listed on their site that trumps the dispute process .. they class it as a custom item ..

You may get some traction if you purchased through a vendor to get a "fix" but as far as a return the vendor would have to take the loss .....

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Being a Corbin motorcycle seat customer for 30 years it really saddens me to see them treating their customers like this. I have Corbins on my Sling and I guess I was lucky - no problems so far but many others have. This was a great company at one time - gotta be poor management that will result in their ultimate demise!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• @McClendons, hope this helps.
    Bags on with rain cover

Bags off

Take wing nuts off and lower bags

Slide bags on, raise it and put wing nuts on,... DONE!
    used the existing holes just longer screws

Two frames, one hooks to sling, second is what the bags sit on. Hinges tie the two together. Used some ABS plastic to cover lower frame. Heated and bent around sides. Welded some round bar to stiffen the sides.

• Boy did this thread blow up. No question this is the last item I'll ever buy from Corbin. Turns out they're desperately trying to sell the business and get out. Until they do I guess they're just happy to run it in to the ground.

feel sorry for a buyer... avoiding the lost revenue due to warranty to help prop up the company value just to off load. Buyer beware.
    If it's that bad it might just be worth only the equipment they have... :thumbdown:

@Shatneyman nice work sir. For me I have modified waterproof bags and mount them to the hoops with loops and velcro straps.
    $50 for the bags and friend attached the straps.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup: